Why did I start blogging?
I have always loved writing and reading. I think the reason why I started writing a blog is that I love writing down my thoughts and stories.
I’m not sure if anyone else is interested in reading them but I do like to share!
Some thoughts on what led me to this point
- I have always kept a diary
- I wrote each of my children the story about their birth and their first few months in this world with yearly updates and presented it to them on their 18th birthdays
- I write a travel blog each time I go on holidays (a) to keep my family and friends updated on our travels and (b) to help me keep the holiday fresh in my mind after I return
- My husband and I love producing photo story books of all our trips
- I enjoyed writing stories comparing my daughters’ lives to my own at their age and also comparing my mother’s and my lives at the same age
- I had an English teacher, Mr Thompson, who told me that I wrote good compositions – this comment has always stuck with me. Isn’t it funny what you remember?
How did I start?
I started my blog back in May 2012 as my sister had begun posting blogs. I thought it sounded like a good idea and joined in. I often do things my sister does as she is an inspiration.
My first post was very raw and I think I deleted it before too many people could see it. My second post, which is now listed as my earliest post, is about a very personal issue – the removal of some of my more prominent facial moles. Nothing like starting with something highly personal!
I often appear very confident but this isn’t always the case. I struggle, at times, with self esteem issues.
My first post related to having a number moles removed from my face. I always told my daughters, when they were young and believed everything I said, that these moles were my beauty spots and so I titled my post ‘3 times less beautiful’.
If I’m honest it was really for myself, telling myself that true beauty comes from within and not to be so vain. It always surprises me when people tell me they don’t even see my moles!
Since then my posts have taken a different tack – celebrating happy times, grieving sad times, re-discovering running, my family, random thoughts, cycling, travel, midlife, and it helped enormously when I was going through my redundancy period. (see note below)
I’ve since started adding photos to my posts and become involved in photography challenges. I miss some of the old WordPress photo and writing challenges.
It has also helped connect me to a whole new community and I’ve become engaged with others in similar situations, from all around the world!
I am enjoying getting back into the whys and wherefores of writing.
Thanks for coming along on the ride with me.
NOTE: This is an updated post (in August 2020) which I first wrote many years ago, back in January 2014 as part of a blogging challenge I was doing to improve my blogging skills. I’ve learnt a lot since then, and like to think I’ve improved my writing, but it’s always good to go back and read my early words.
Linking up with Denyse’s #lifethisweek with the optional prompt Why did I?
Debbie is an award winning blogger and lives in the small town of Tumbarumba in NSW Australia. Married for 40 years, with three grown up daughters, Debbie and the Mathematician are avid travellers, cyclists and adventurers. Described by others as a ‘hummingbird on speed’ this active mother and grandmother has also received a bravery award from the Queen.
You can also find Deb’s World in lots of other places – stay in touch by clicking any of the buttons below.
© 2021 Copyright – All rights reserved: email@example.com, debs-world.com