Weekly photo challenge: Letters – a well travelled shopping list

There's a story here!

There’s a story here!

This is a random shopping list which my daughter inadvertently took back to England after a brief visit home to Australia late last year.  She has just found it, all these months later,  and used it in her Instagram #100daysof happy post as it gave her a sense of happiness.

How random is that?  I somehow don’t think it was worth taking all that way but then I think that if it gave her a feeling of connection to me over on the other side of the world, then yes it was worth it!

As she says:

Finding a random shopping list in mum’s handwriting that weirdly made it back with me from Aus. #missing home

This post is in response to the Weekly Photo Challenge: Letters – click here for more details and to see other posts on the subject. I like the wording of the challenge from The Daily Post and once again I seem to have taken it fairly literally:

For this week’s challenge, share a photo with letters — no matter the alphabet. You can capture a neon sign, a sentence scribbled in an old phone booth, a random letter that’s seemingly out of place, or anything else. As you look through your lens, think about how your image might convey something bigger: a snapshot of how we communicate with one another, even if we don’t speak the same language.

Letters are everywhere and sometimes it is more the connection they create than the actual words they make.

One thought on “Weekly photo challenge: Letters – a well travelled shopping list

1. April 27, 2014 at 6:41 pm

That’s nice it made her feel connected! It’s funny the little things we don’t really think make an impact and they really do!

• April 27, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Yes Connie, that’s so true, it made me smile when I saw her comments. Love those ‘little’ things.

2. April 28, 2014 at 1:03 am

Very Sweet!! 🙂

3. April 29, 2014 at 11:25 am

Great story with a unique shot!

4. Jemma Jones
    April 29, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I have also seen this #100daysofhappiness on Instragram – I have thought about taking part; but I don’t think that I could have 100 days in a row of happiness…

• April 29, 2014 at 7:30 pm

It sounds like a nice idea doesn’t it – making sure you look for and find some little piece of happiness every day? Not necessarily happy days but happy moments.

• April 29, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Thanks for mentioning my blog in your post 🙂 your blog is looking great.

5. May 2, 2014 at 4:52 am

Oh I love this shopping list note. I enjoy finding old stuff, especially written, when I do laundry. These small notes bring back moments where they were important.
    Cool post, Deb.

• May 2, 2014 at 6:45 am

Thanks Evelyne, I appreciate your comment. It was a lovely moment to share.

6. May 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I find this moving, as the handwriting we use when we are not thinking about making it pretty (like on a greetings card) is so natural and part of us. I keep bits of writing people have scribbled, and over the years it just means more!

Terrific post!

• May 23, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Thanks so much for your kind words. You are right – we do write differently when it is for a different purpose and shows a part of us. It was a lovely moment when I found out just how my daughter felt when she discovered this random list.

7. April 2, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Ah, y’know – I do things like this too. Mostly out of forgetfulness, but also partly out of wanting to retain a connection with home. I’m a Scotsman living in England right now!

• April 2, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Thanks for the visit Raymond! It was really funny at the time 😊

• April 2, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Haha. Thank you 🙂 – yes. I’m sure that will happen to us in the future when our son leaves home