Weekly Photo Challenge: An Annapurna Adventure

I am lucky to have been on many adventures so far in my life but I would have to say that my trek into the Annapurna Sanctuary in Nepal was one that I class as a real adventure. It was hard walking, up and down the well maintained paths with so many steps, along ridges, crossing scary bridges, through beautiful and unexpected forests and then finally into the the Annapurna Base Camp at 4130 metres above sea level.

You see, I hate heights, I hate edges, narrow paths, scary drops and suspension bridges!

I was way out of my comfort zone, but I did it! I suffered from altitude sickness the higher we got and couldnt eat but I was determined to get to the Annapurna Base Camp for sunrise – which was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. Once I made it there and had a little rest (I did actually fall asleep while sitting on a rock), I was fine for the rest of the trip. It was probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever done physically but also one of the best experiences I’ve ever had.

We took 10 days to walk in and out and stayed in tea houses along the way. It was basic, rustic and beautiful all at once. We had local porters to carry our most of our packs and we each carried a day pack. The local villagers were lovely people and we enjoyed interacting with them. We loved he mountain views surprising us each time we looked up, up, up!

We flew into Kathmandu, then the next day onto Pokhara. We started the trek from Phedi (1130m) in heavy pouring rain, with our first night spent in Pothana (1970m). We walked the next day into Chhomrong (2170m) and then onto Doban (2580m). The next day we walked in rain again to Machhapuchre Base Camp (3700m) and tried to get acclimatised. At 4.30am wearing all our warm clothes, we set off for Annapurna Base camp to see the sun rise, which is something none of us will ever forget.

We then set off back down to Doban and Chhomrong. We changed our trek here and went to Ghandruck (1940m) and then to Syauli Bazar (1170m), Chimrong and Birethanti (1020m) where we had our card signed off. Then all of a sudden it was over and we met the bus at Naya Pul (1070m). Some then stayed in Pokhara for a few nights before meeting up with everyone back in Kathmandu. It was an amazing trip and a real adventure.

I love looking at the photos of this trip and reading our diary. We would do it again in an instant. Hope you enjoy my adventure!

This week’s photo challenge is Adventure. See here for more blogs on this theme.

One thought on “Weekly Photo Challenge: An Annapurna Adventure

1. September 9, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Debbie this is fantastic! Good for you to persevere through it. Your journey sounds amazing.

• September 9, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Thanks Sue! It was amazing and such an adventure. I have have also done the Kokoda Track in PNG but enjoyed Nepal far more. The things we do!!

• September 9, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Love this Debbie. Nepal is on my list too. Really I will need to live to be 150!

2. September 9, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Amazing adventure and gorgeous images!

• September 10, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Thanks Connie! I loved the adventure and the photos only tell a fraction of the beauty we encountered on a daily basis. I’m off a new adventure in a just over a week so keep an eye out.

3. September 12, 2014 at 2:31 pm

This is really one great adventure! I guess I have to add one more item on my bucket list!

4. robjodiefilogomo
    April 5, 2017 at 11:51 pm

These challenges can be hard and scary—but certainly a confidence builder once you accomplish it!!
    And those sights really take your breath away!
    Jodie

Liked by 2 people

5. lsgaitan23
    April 6, 2017 at 6:00 am

WOW! I’m wordless, too, looking at these stunning photos and then thinking about the trek involved. Amazing!

Liked by 2 people

6. April 6, 2017 at 10:05 am

What an amazing experience! & gorgeous pictures!

Liked by 2 people

7. April 6, 2017 at 10:32 am

Wow! Amazing photos and you are so adventurous Deb! I would have had to turn back when I came to that bridge. I’m scared just looking at the picture. You are a fantastic photographer.

Liked by 2 people

8. April 6, 2017 at 11:53 am

Oooh the bridges would give me a heart attack!!

• April 6, 2017 at 8:03 pm

They were very scary but I did get a bit better as the trek went on.

9. April 6, 2017 at 12:08 pm

I can only say one thing: I am darned impressed! Altitude sickness, and you soldiered on? I would’ve bailed.

• April 6, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Thanks Carol, I was determined to get there and luckily I was able to do it. It was amazing.

10. April 7, 2017 at 2:43 am

Beautiful photos. What an amazing part of the world. Of course, there’s no way you’d ever get me to cross that bridge! 🙂

• April 7, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Haha! I had those thoughts about the bridges but I had to go across them, usually with my heart in my mouth. Thanks, the photos are a great reminder of a beautiful place.

11. April 8, 2017 at 7:44 am

All I can say is WOW 🙂 – those pictures are amazing. Really impressed that you were able to manage that with altitude sickness. I love Mountains but I doubt I’d manage to climb any because of the lack of oxygen

• April 10, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Raymond, it was a fantastic experience as you can imagine. I was only slightly affected but enough to slow me down for a while. Afterwards I was fine!