Celebrating

Another year of marriage successfully completed! Congratulations to us 😊

I really can’t believe it’s been 35 years since that memorable day –  except when I stop and think that I have children either in their 30s or very close to it. The intervening years aren’t all that clear at times, but then a lot has happened! The good, the bad and the ugly, but hey, that just shows we are normal.

Just a few short years ago!

Just a few short years ago on our honeymoon.

Marriage lets you annoy one special person for the rest of your life.

This time last year I wrote quite a soppy (according to one of my daughters) summary of our lives together, which included song lyrics and wedding pics. If you missed it you can read it here.

As 2 of my 3 daughters are now officially engaged and the other is also in a strong relationship, all I can wish for is that their lives are as happy as can be. That they find happiness in their future lives together and that love not only survives but flourishes. We are currently in wedding planning mode and I despair at some of the costs involved, the amount of fuss and the pressures placed on just this one day, when in fact they have a lifetime to plan for.

My only piece of advice is this – marriage is a real commitment and although it isn’t always easy, it is well worth the effort and can be a real adventure. Thankfully, in our case, the good times far outnumber the bad times.

My parents have recently celebrated 56 years together and my parents in law celebrate 60 years next month, so we are lucky to have been shown that it can be done. They are both great role models to us all.

Love will keep us together (another great song lyric) and I look forward to many more years of celebrations. I am also looking forward to our family’s first wedding later in the year. Good times to come!!

One thought on “Celebrating

1. January 10, 2015 at 11:38 am

Happy Anniversary!

2. January 10, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Happy Anniversary! And many happy returns. Wonderful role models,
    Cheers to both of you!

• January 11, 2015 at 7:07 am

Thanks so much for your kind words. I always like to reflect on things on our anniversary so I wrote this post! It’s been extra special this weekend as we are in wedding planning mode as well 😊

• January 12, 2015 at 11:25 pm

You are welcome, Debbie. You are very thoughtful and kind, and I appreciate that you share your reflections.
        I can only imagine how busy you are! 😉 wish you success!

3. August 5, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Can’t knock success! Longevity of marriage runs in your family!

• August 6, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Thanks Carol, it does seem to run in the family. Great role models!!

4. August 6, 2017 at 12:36 am

Happy belated anniversary. Marriage is, indeed, a challenge worth taking with the right person.

5. August 6, 2017 at 10:06 am

This is lovely, despite the fact that I now have Captain & Tennille in my head!