A shaft of morning sunlight

I enjoy taking photos while I’m out and about and sometimes I’m pleasantly surprised with the results.   This photo is one of those moments!

The shaft of morning sunshine on the left of the photo gave me a nice boost when I saw it. I didn’t realise I had captured it quite so well! In colour it’s a nice photo but in black and white I think it looks quite dramatic.

I used my phone on my early morning walk to the beach and then used Instagram to edit it with a black and white filter. I made a few other tweaks of contrast and highlights and I am quite pleased with the result.

By the way it was a lovely day for the beach as we celebrated the Australia Day long weekend 🙂

I’m enjoying participating in Lucile’s Photo101 Rehab clinic, feel free to have a look at other photos here.

Colour

Colour

Black and white

Black and white

What do you think? As always, I’m open to feedback!

D

One thought on “A shaft of morning sunlight

1. January 28, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Nice one! I like the group of people and then the guy and his dog in the background. Looks like a very happy place. I love the monochrome but there is a cool retro style to the slightly muted colours of the colour shot too!

• January 28, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I can always count on you! I know what you mean about the colour shot, the morning light wasn’t very strong but it does give a nice vibe.

2. January 29, 2015 at 1:28 am

Hey. The pictures seem really live, so I would reckon its a good capture. The only difference I found out was between the colour and black and white picture was that one seems morning and the other seems evening. (But its still very cool)

• January 29, 2015 at 7:40 am

Thanks! I hadn’t thought it could be taken as evening time. Good point!! Glad you like them, it was a lovely day after such a nice morning walk on the beach.

3. January 29, 2015 at 9:30 pm

That’s a fantastic shot. I’d never thought of using black and white at the beach. You’ve inspired me to give it a go.

• January 29, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Thanks so much Michelle! I didn’t know if it would work or not but I liked the effect when I tried it in black and white. So happy to get your feedback and looking forward to see your results!