Weekly Photo Challenge: (Out of my) depth?

Actually ‘seeing’ the landscape you are to spend time cycling around/up/over/down is very different to just reading about it!

Out of my depth is definitely how I felt when I saw the steep, rocky, barren, but oh so beautiful hills of the islands in Southern Dalmatia, Croatia. This sign is just one example of how steep the roads were at times.

Getting a bit spicy!

Getting a bit spicy!

The islands of Croatia were not at all what I expected. In fact they were much more than I ever imagined. The history, the scenery, the villages, the clear blue water, the stonework, the amazing rocks, a certain ‘wildness’ and the sun filled days are memories I will never forget.

The tour involved cycling up, down and over a selection of islands in Southern Dalmatia in Croatia, while sailing around the Adriatic Sea in our boat the Kapetan Jure.

The tour was one of many that Island Hopping, (Inselhuepfen a German tour company), organise and promote to people like us, who like taking active holidays. Those joining us on the tour were from New Zealand, USA, Canada, Austria, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Spain and UK. We represented Australia. It was a great mix of personalities, cycling abilities and experiences – and by the end of the week we were all good friends. I needn’t have worried about feeling out of my depth at all.

We enjoyed visiting small limestone villages set in beautiful bays, like Omis where we rode 44km up, up, up into the long rocky hills before coming down the long, windy hill back to the boat. The views along the way were well worth the effort! Oh…and did I mention I had organised an ebike?

Other beautful places were on the islands of Brac, Korcula, Vis, Hvar, Solta, as well as our first warm up ride on Ciovo. Amazing scenery everywhere!

Since returning home we have made a Blurb book of our trip with photos and stories. Click here to be taken to a preview. I wrote a Travel Blog about our trip if you’d like to have a look – click this link.

I have also written a few other posts about our travels on my Adventure and Travel page.

In the meantime enjoy my gallery of a few of my favourite pics, some of which you may have already seen in other posts but hopefully will enjoy seeing again!

This week’s photo challenge is Depth and you can see many more entries by following this link. This is just my take on the topic! Thanks for allowing me to indulge myself by relooking at photos of a great trip.

I must admit to feeling out of my depth many times during this trip but I would go back and do it all again!

One thought on “Weekly Photo Challenge: (Out of my) depth?

1. January 31, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Wow looks stunning but oh boy those rocky paths look mean x

• January 31, 2015 at 9:23 pm

They were pretty mean! Considering I’d had my appendix out just before the trip, I think I did really well, and wasn’t too far out of my depth thank goodness. Thanks for commenting 🙂

2. February 1, 2015 at 1:13 am

Wow, what magical trip. I am hoping to do one of these myself one day.

• February 1, 2015 at 7:12 am

Everyone should it, so much fun! I had just had my appendix out when I went so was very lucky!

3. February 1, 2015 at 4:39 am

Debbie, these photos are breathtaking. OMG the book you made is divine. What a beautiful and magic trip.
    I have been twice to Croatia coming from Italy but just to Split and Rovigno and from there to some other beaches.
    You gave me wonderful ideas…Thanks.

• February 1, 2015 at 7:15 am

Thanks Lucile!! I love them too. The book is a great way to have our trip at our fingertips whenever I feel like going back. Croatia is a beautiful place, we hope to return one day to see more. 😊

• February 2, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Most welcome, Debbie. It’s such a great idea. I saw you have many books. How nice.
        You have made it an unforgettable experience.:)

4. February 1, 2015 at 8:07 am

Hey deb. Thats some wonderful pictures and what a place on earth. I hope youve been having the time of your life. 🙂

5. February 5, 2015 at 12:47 am

Some lovely places on that itinerary, that’s for sure!

• February 5, 2015 at 6:06 am

I agree, it was a great trip with lovely people as well as scenery.