Tea Time #10 – a birthday treat

What special birthday food does your daughter want for her 30th birthday? Going on past birthday experiences I can guess. In case you missed my post last week, my second daughter is turning 30 in a few days time – that means I will have two daughters in their thirties!! Luckily my youngest has a few years to go and is still in her (late) twenties. I must admit to not feeling old enough (sometimes) to being their mother but as they all look like me – I must be! For Tea Time #10 I am bringing a party treat that my daughter insisted we have at every birthday party – wait for it! Fairy bread – it’s basically sliced white bread spread with margarine (or butter) and covered with sprinkles or hundreds and thousands which stick to the spread. It has to be cut into four triangles. Very healthy and good for you (NOT!) but it is very easy to make for a party. So that’s a winner in my book!

Fairy bread

Fairy bread

I’m sure you will all enjoy my first ever ‘recipe’ that I have shared in all my posts on Tea Time. Have you ever heard of Fairy Bread or is it just another weird Australian thing?  I’m not sure how widespread this delicious party food is out there in the big wide world but I’m sure you are all champing at the bit to get out there and try it. Just so that you know we are having a civilised party for my daughter’s birthday with some close friends and all organised by her fantabulous fiancée – what a year, she not only turns 30 but she gets married as well – but I will ensure that she has some fairy bread there for old times sake!

Party fun - looks a bit like fairy bread

Party fun

I thought I’d share this photo of Miss S (aged 7) in amongst the colourful balls.   I always think it looks a bit like her favourite food – fairy bread! Thanks for having me at Tea Time! Deb 🙂

One thought on “Tea Time #10 – a birthday treat

1. April 30, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I have never heard of Fairy bread but I think it’s so cute that your daughter wants it at every birthday. How do they get this old so fast when we are still 35 ourselves? 🙂

• April 30, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Exactly my thoughts Sue! I’m sure they can’t really be that old, because we’re definitely not old enough 😉 You made me smile with your comment. Thanks for commenting – I did wonder if Fairy Bread was universal!

• April 30, 2015 at 2:23 pm

We just have to laugh at our age and keep living big Deb. What else can one do? 🙂

2. April 30, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Well, Debbie, you can easily call them sisters, because that’s how they look like.
    And I’m serious.
    It is common in Holland to eat bread as you described, but with sprinkled chocolate. It’s not for parties though as kids and adults eat it at lunch time. Really!

• April 30, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I’m so glad you confirmed that it is common there too! But seriously chocolate sandwiches for lunch?? I’m moving over there!! 😊

3. April 30, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Hah this is so utterly cute it really is and yes fairy bread is here too very popular but the fact your daughter still wants it in her 30’s is so adorable lol

Your right the balls look like fairy bread too one big giant one!

Thank you for joining tea time with a very fun post 😀😀

• April 30, 2015 at 4:49 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed Justine!! And yo know that fairy bread is popular there too. I’m sure she will be thrilled with me sharing her story 😊
      I was thinking of writing something about Nepal and all the beautiful tea houses we stopped in but it’s too upsetting at the moment due to their recent earthquake. Maybe another time. Glad to join you all again. Cheers!

4. May 7, 2015 at 4:45 am

It’s such an antipodean thing! I remember it from birthday parties in NZ when I was a kid, and an Australian friend brought some to my son’s 1st birthday party in England. It was so funny — we all went crazy for it, and our English friends and neighbours just looked on totally bemused. It’s cool that your daughter has a birthday tradition that she holds to each year 🙂