A mystery wrapped in an enigma – who me?

Tell us something most people probably don’t know about you.

Some people may know that I was awarded a Commendation for Brave Conduct from the Queen when I was a teenager, as it is listed on my About Me page.

Award

Award

When asked why I got the award,  I never quite know how to respond. I don’t think I was particularly brave, I just did what had to be done without really thinking about it. I also wasn’t the only one involved.

I don’t like talking about the accident, (on 11 May 1978 in Noumea, New Caledonia), that resulted in the award because I know that once I start talking, I’m back ‘there’, despite the many years that have passed since then. The mind is an amazing thing. The Commendation was actually presented to me on 8 October 1979  at an official award ceremony at Government House, Sydney, by Sir Roden Cutler (Governor of NSW) on behalf of the Queen.

The thing that people probably don’t know is that I also bought my wedding dress on the day of the award presentation.

My mother & I popped to the shops and without too much fuss I decided on a dress and that was that!  My fiancé was at the award ceremony as well, but neither of us can remember what he did while we went shopping. We were married in the following January and I can report that we are still happily married!

Written in response to the Daily Post prompt on 28 May 2015.

One thought on “A mystery wrapped in an enigma – who me?

1. May 31, 2015 at 8:28 am

I hope some day you will be comfortable enough to tell the story. It is clearly something still very important to you. Thanks for sharing.

• May 31, 2015 at 8:34 am

Thanks Maggie. You are right, it is still fresh in my mind despite the passage of years. I think we all have stories in our lives that others don’t know about. Writing this post appealed to me as soon as I saw the prompt., maybe I needed to share it for some reason.

2. May 31, 2015 at 10:02 am

Well I have to say that I’m intrigued but I completely understand needing to be ready to share more. The photograph is beautiful.

• May 31, 2015 at 10:10 am

Thanks, it’s from just a few years ago! That’s what being an enigma is all about. I thought the most interesting point about this post would be buying my wedding dress on the same day as getting a bravery award but perhaps not!

3. May 31, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Did what you had to do? That sounds brave to me x

• May 31, 2015 at 12:49 pm

We all have a story to tell, so someone once said. Let’s just say bravery wasn’t on my mind at the time. X

4. June 1, 2015 at 2:59 am

I totally agree that you don’t need to share the story. The connection was clear. Anyways, it’s impressive that you got that and it only makes me respect your decision even more.
    Brava!!

5. June 1, 2015 at 10:57 pm

It’s nice that you got an award for being brave, but it’s nicer that you’re happy with your husband!

• June 2, 2015 at 6:53 am

What a great comment! I agree with you wholeheartedly, you’ve made my day with your insightful words. 😊

• June 2, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Thank you Debbie. It’s always important to keep focus on the things that really matters.