Blogging every day – is it for you?

Do you post every day?

Up until recently I didn’t post every day and I didn’t think I could do it, even if I’d wanted to.  What would I post about, how would I find the time and would there be anyone in the whole wide world even interested in what I had to say on a daily basis?? What inspires me enough to post on a daily basis?

These questions still plague me. So why did I decide to take the plunge and start blogging everyday?

The aim for me was to look for an adventure in everyday things, a simple photo, something to be positive about, something to share with others, something to write about and something to inspire.

Adventure isn’t hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain.  Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life. John Amatt

On 8 June 2015 (55 days ago) I started a new project to see if I could post every day for a year. Here is an excerpt from my post on Day 1:

Every day is an adventure is a new project for me, where I will post a photo every day for 365 days (not necessarily taken that day) – sometimes with words, sometimes without.  I believe that everyday should be an adventure! I hope you’ll stick with me and even join me, in my new project.  It doesn’t matter where you are or what you do – every day is an adventure!

The photo might be mundane, might be exciting, might be obscure, or it might be just a different take on something relevant to that day!!  I use my iPhone for my photos and edit them sparingly.

As of today I am up to Day 55/365 of my Every day is an adventure project. I know of lots of bloggers who do something similar but I didn’t know if I could do it.  I like adventure and I obviously like a good challenge. I’ve read lots of articles that say to increase your traffic you need to post everyday and although I know I’m never going to take the world by storm, I do like having regular visitors to my blog and interacting with many interesting people. The flip side to this is the argument that less is more and that quantity doesn’t always mean quality. I can relate to this. Time is the biggest drawback for me as I work full-time, try to keep fit, am involved in Rotary and have an active life outside of my blog (despite it being called Deb’s World).

My top 10 tips from what I’ve learnt so far:

1. I wish I had found the Copy Post feature earlier than Day 23!
  2. I love the schedule function of WordPress and use it regularly to schedule posts in advance, especially in busy times.
  3. I have more to say than I thought – and people actually visit me and leave nice comments.
  4. By blogging more regularly I’m also interacting more often with other bloggers. As a result, I’m getting far more out of it than I thought I would.
  5. Visitors to my blog have increased somewhat over the past 55 days and I know my regulars well now. I like to think that we have a real blogging community thing happening.
  6. Blogging everyday makes me look for inspiration everywhere, I never let a chance go by.  I’ve always got my eyes open looking for an opportunity – which is great!
  7. I feel that I am more positive and aware  of the world around me and ready to take on anything.
  8. I have learnt to be organised and I have perfected adding photos to my media library, editing posts and doing things quickly in a short amount of time.
  9. I worry about people getting annoyed with my daily barrage but have decided that’s their problem as they can choose whether to look at my posts or not.
  10. So far I am enjoying posting every day – I’ll keep you posted on that!

Adventures help remind me that there are lots of exciting things to see and do and to live life to the fullest.  I have a page on my blog dedicated to some of my past travel adventures – Adventures and Travel – have you seen it yet?

So back to my original question – do you blog everyday?  I’d love to hear your thoughts.

One thought on “Blogging every day – is it for you?

1. August 1, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Hi Deb, I can barely manage twice a week. All credit to you for your commitment and organisation.

• August 1, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Thanks Jill – it can be a bit tricky at times but so far I’m going OK.

2. August 1, 2015 at 5:43 pm

yes, I do blog everyday. I have now for approx. 5 months and before that I used to blog 3-4 times a week. I agree with everything on your list. The only downfall is that your blog really does become your life! LOL

• August 1, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Thanks for that Amanda! I won’t tell my husband that as he thinks I spend enough time on it now. Glad you agree with my list, I value your experience.

3. August 1, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Hi Deb. Day 55 – wow, well done. I’m sure you know already that I post every day (sometimes twice – eek!!). I usually do photo shoots on the weekend or on my travels and then write a lot of posts on the weekend or late at night and schedule them for the week to come. I love the challenges and I find those to be a great way to interact with people. I agree about community – I think we have a wonderful community here. X

• August 1, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Yes I love reading your daily posts! I’ve actually done three today – eek indeed! another wet miserable day here so I’m loving it. I love our community and feel really accepted and encouraged. I love the schedule function ❤️

• August 1, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Aw thanks! I love reading your adventures too. Yes scheduling is the best!! And it works really well on the iPhone app as well which helps when I’m travelling. I will be checking in on all your posts tonight – I fee the need for a “curling up on the couch” evening 😋

• August 1, 2015 at 6:27 pm

I know what you mean, it’s a good night for it. I’ve just had a spa (outside) and it was very cold getting out. Nice & toasty warm now.

• August 1, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Sounds delightful. I’m having a quick dinner with my folks before heading home to my blankie and a wine.

4. August 1, 2015 at 6:59 pm

I posted every day for a year in 2010. I hit a wall after about ten months but managed to climb over it. Good luck with your project!

• August 1, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Thanks. I’ll see how I go but it’s certainly interesting so far.

5. August 1, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Thanks for the inspiration. I just started today and am curious to find out how long I will last. Thanks for the tips!

• August 2, 2015 at 7:15 am

All the best to you. Glad my tips could be useful as you start your journey. I’ll pop over and have a look later.

6. August 2, 2015 at 1:09 am

I posted every day a couple of years ago…for one month, part of a challenge. It was fun, but sometimes I felt like important stuff got lost, stuff I wanted people to be sure to read was covered over (sort of) by the next days stuff that might not be as important. From the flip side, I read a blogger a few years ago that challenged herself like you are, to one post a day for a year. She lives in the Upper Peninsula and she used it to get outside in the winter which was something she hadn’t done every day in the past. She took some wonderful photos and had a lot of inspirational things to say and I enjoyed being a reader very much! You will do wonderfully! Look how far you’ve come already!

• August 2, 2015 at 7:20 am

Thanks for sharing that story about your friends experience of blogging everyday Dawn. It’s great to hear as that’s how I’m treating it. I don’t want to miss out on anything and love finding interesting things to post. Hopefully others find them interesting too but really it’s about how I see the world on a daily basis. If no one reads them at least I’ve made myself see the world in a positive light for the day. Appreciate your support 😊

7. August 2, 2015 at 1:10 am

PS: I didn’t know about the scheduling feature. I need to go figure that out!

• August 2, 2015 at 7:21 am

Instead of hitting publish there’s another option of schedule and you can bank any number of posts up for future dates. It’s great, let me know if you have any problems finding & using it.

8. August 3, 2017 at 9:02 pm

I too had the same feelings, I started almost two years ago and although I do occasionally miss a day, I have enjoyed it far more than I ever expected to. Keep up the good work, you have a lovely site.

• August 3, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Thanks very much for your lovely comment! I’m glad you enjoy blogging regularly, it’s given meso much more than I expected to get out of it too.

• August 3, 2017 at 9:11 pm

I agree and all of the lovely people we meet along the way. Thank you I look forward to reading more of your posts. 🙂

9. August 3, 2017 at 9:14 pm

I do Deb, sometimes more than once too, if I am doing a challenge!

• August 3, 2017 at 9:36 pm

You’re a blogging machine Ritu!! Go girl 😊

• August 3, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Lol thanks Debs! I’m trying to be a little quieter on my blog tbis month though, as I focus on writing … but I can’t keep away lol!

10. August 4, 2017 at 12:33 am

I’m always amazed at the people that are able to do this. Besides the time commitment I really can’t see myself possible having that much interesting to say

• August 4, 2017 at 7:34 pm

I tend to write something each day in a draft and just keep adding to it. I’m surprised it turns out as busy as it does and even more surprised that people actually read it!! I get what you’re saying totally!!

11. August 4, 2017 at 4:30 am

i did blog everyday for 18 months and two wise blogging owls told me to cut down. I did – 3 times a week and my blog grew 🙂

• August 4, 2017 at 7:28 pm

It’s funny how it works out isn’t it? I think it’s important to listen to those wiser than ourselves. Thanks for the visit.

12. August 4, 2017 at 8:33 am

Hi Deb, I try to blog everyday but usually miss about 2 days. I always think I’ve run out of inspiration then I attempt to put an Ikea bed together (tomorrow’s post) or find “Disney princesses” who clearly aren’t Disney princesses (today’s post). When I’m out of ideas I google “funny blog topics” for inspiration. Worst case, I repost.

13. August 4, 2017 at 9:50 am

I don’t believe I could blog every day, Deb. It is quite enough for me to stay consistent once/week. Did you make it the 365 days?

• August 4, 2017 at 10:31 am

No I didn’t Molly, it got too hard!! I made it to 100 days though which was still pretty good considering I worked full time then as well. I admire anyone who can blog every day.

• August 4, 2017 at 10:33 am

I think it is great to write every day, but I’m not so sure blogging every day is advantageous. You did great to make it 100 days, especially working full time!