OWPC – Snow and flip flops!

The subject of snow is quite timely for me – just last week we had snow falling in our neck of the woods (see Day 60 and Day 61) and this week I’m up north visiting my parents and the sun is warm and the temperatures are almost tropical. What a difference a week makes.  I hear on the grapevine that it’s freezing cold at home again with a top temperature forecast of 7 degrees celcius.  Needless to say, I’m thinking of extending my stay!

Living in Australia, snow can be quite a rare event for most of us.  I’m lucky that where I live we can usually rely on one or two dumps of snow each year. Most people don’t imagine Australia having snow at all – but I can assure you that we do!

I love snow shots and this is one of my favourites from last year when my daughter popped home from England for a family gathering.  We stopped at a local beauty spot where the snow was still lying on the ground, but my daughter only had her thongs on her feet (flip flops).  It was an incongruous sight to say the least.

Not quite appropriate footwear for snowThis is the Sugar Pine walk with snow and shadows – beautiful!

Sugar Pine walkThis was my back paddock just last week – what a bleak day it was, but oh so pretty!

Paddock in snowThis is my Deb’s World blog written in the snow on our verandah

SnowFirewood covered in snow

Snow on logsPlants under snow

plant in snowWhat a great looking day!

FrontSo there you go – my SNOW post for Jennifer’s One Word Photo Challenge.

Hope you enjoyed a look see at some Aussie snow photos.

One thought on “OWPC – Snow and flip flops!

1. August 12, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Flip flops and snow on the ground! Love it! Snow and Australia is a funny concept, but why not!

• August 12, 2015 at 7:24 pm

It’s quite weird I know but nice when it happens.

2. August 12, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Here that’s all what we call a dusting.

I would be so, so happy to send you all our snow!

3. August 12, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Yes, I wouldn’t have thought of snow in Australia, either. I really love the last B&W photo!

• August 12, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Thanks Barbara. It’s not ever a lot compared to other countries but it does happen here.

4. August 13, 2015 at 12:53 am

Her feet must have been freezing! I love these images though. The thin layer of snow makes everything look so lovely. Thank you so much for sharing.

5. August 13, 2015 at 5:21 am

I must admit, Deb, that I’d never considered that it would snow in Australia… obviously, though, it does!

• August 13, 2015 at 5:28 pm

I know that many people don’t think of snow here in Australia and I know it’s not a lot by some standards but hey, snow is snow! It helps that we live near the Snowy Mountains (in NSW) and there are ski resorts about an hours drive away. Glad to enlighten you 🙂

6. August 13, 2015 at 6:58 am

Brrr thongs and snow! Very Australian. Beautiful photos.

• August 13, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I know Annie! She was a bit cold but wouldn’t admit it. I have to be careful when mentioning ‘thongs’ because of what that means in other places!! I’ve been caught out before with that one.

7. Anonymous
    August 16, 2015 at 12:13 pm

WArren arrived in time for breakfast on Sunday morning