Sally D’s Mobile Photography Challenge: Black and white

black and white solar light

I used this photo in a recent Mundane Monday challenge. It’s a photo of a solar light in the garden, taken from above.  In the original the yellow stands out and now in black and white it looks completely different.

solar light

I decided to play around with the photo and ended up transforming it into black and white for this week’s  Sally D’s Mobile Photography Challenge.

What do you think – do you like the colour or black and white version?

One thought on “Sally D’s Mobile Photography Challenge: Black and white

1. November 18, 2015 at 10:55 pm

This looks amazing!

• November 19, 2015 at 7:39 am

Thanks, not bad for a humble solar light in the garden!!

2. November 18, 2015 at 11:10 pm

So hard to choose! I love the contrast in both, they’re both beautiful. But I’m drawn to the b&w, but that’s probably because I’m obsessed with it 😉

3. November 18, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Black and white because the colour one reminds me of warmth and I don’t have any right now!!!

4. November 19, 2015 at 12:20 am

i love the black and white. I was really struck by the color version when you posted it, but the b&w takes it to a whole new level

• November 19, 2015 at 7:32 am

Thanks! I wasn’t sure whether to use it but decided to go with it so I’m happy that you (and others) have enjoyed the conversion.

5. November 19, 2015 at 1:42 am

Debbie, the conversion makes all the difference in the image. It gives it a dramatic and even otherworldly appearance. Nicely done. Happy Photo Challenge.

• November 19, 2015 at 7:30 am

Thank you! I thought it gave it a whole new feel and otherworldly is a good description. For something so humble as a solar light, it certainly has made a difference!

6. November 19, 2015 at 4:09 am

As often is the case with color vs. B&W, they’re so different that I find it difficult to say I like one better than the other. It may all depend on my frame of mind on a given day. 🙂 They’re both intriguing and cool.

janet

• November 19, 2015 at 7:27 am

Thanks Janet, I appreciate your comment and I agree that it will depend on your state of mind at the time.