Sally D’s Mobile Photography Challenge: Nature – a baby blue tongue

Sally D’s Mobile Photography Challenge has Nature as the theme for this week, as it’s the first Monday of the month.

I caught this little baby relaxing in the sun today and was able to get close enough to capture his glorious textured skin and cute little legs. I used my iPhone and then edited a little for clarity purposes.

He’s a baby blue tongue lizard (or skink) and lives in the garden. We see them from time to time and they don’t cause us any trouble. They eat the snails (and the cat’s food) and other insects.  They aren’t dangerous to humans but their bite would leave you with a nasty bruise as they tend to latch on and not let go.  They have a vivid blue tongue and use bluff when faced with a predator, by flattening out their body to make them look bigger and then hissing loudly, sticking out their blue tongue.

I love the fact that it is almost prehistoric looking and just so beautiful!

Baby

I’d love to hear what you think of my baby!

One thought on “Sally D’s Mobile Photography Challenge: Nature – a baby blue tongue

1. January 5, 2016 at 9:46 am

How fabulous to have such a glorious feature nearby…the arms and claws have a graphic character that intrigues. Thanks for the burst of wildlife. Happy Photo Challenge.

• January 5, 2016 at 4:48 pm

My pleasure! Glad you like him as much as I do.

2. January 5, 2016 at 10:25 am

Wow! At first I thought it was a snake! Lizard is much better! So cool!

3. January 5, 2016 at 11:45 am

Lovely photo. I’m getting to like these creatures having seen them up close at a country show. Not yet so sure about snakes though.

4. January 6, 2016 at 12:32 am

That’s very cool. It’s what I love about blogging…we all get to see things we’d never see otherwise!

• January 6, 2016 at 8:00 am

Thanks Dawn, he’s a little beauty isn’t he? I’m always happy to share and also delight in the posts of other bloggers too. It’s a win win! 😊

5. January 7, 2016 at 10:28 am

He reminded me of a snake at first glance, too. Great colors on this guy!

janet

• January 7, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I know, it’s always a bit fraught when we see them at first but his little legs gave it away. Thanks for your comment Janet, I really love the textures of his skin!