Weekly photo challenge: Half-light (morning and night)

Half-light

half light1

Morning half-light

Half-light is the theme for this week’s photo challengeKrista asks us to:

share a photo inspired by a poem, verse, song lyric or story. If you’re not feeling especially literary or musical this week, see if you can capture the beauty of morning or evening half-light in your corner of the globe.

In regards to a poem or lyric that inspired these photos, I thought of The Ode.  The Ode actually comes from For the Fallen, a poem by the English poet and writer Laurence Binyon. It was published in London in 1914. The verse used is the fourth stanza and became the League Ode, and it’s been  used in association with commemoration services in Australia since 1921.

“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.”

image

Evening half-light

I hope it’s OK for me to use these words in this context – they are very powerful and I don’t mean to use them lightly or to be disrespectful.

My two photos show the half-light of sunrise as I return home from my early morning walk/run and the half-light of the sunset through the trees in the forest when out on my evening stroll.  I’m so lucky to see these sights almost daily and I never take them for granted.

I hope I have at least managed to  capture the beauty of morning or evening half-light in my corner of the globe.

Deb x

One thought on “Weekly photo challenge: Half-light (morning and night)

1. March 26, 2016 at 9:54 pm

I love this, and good choice of poem too. I always feel emotional when I hear this…

2. March 26, 2016 at 10:06 pm

So beautiful Debbie, especially the first photo, and they work so well with the poem which is always powerful and emotional. Perfect for the half-light photo challenge.

• March 28, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Thanks Miriam, I had them sitting in my media library and hadn’t got around to using them, so this challenge seemed just right for them to make an appearance!

3. March 26, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Beautiful photos to match the powerful words. Definitely appropriate for this week’s prompt.

• March 28, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Thanks Ruth, it was a bit weird using that poem out of it’s normal context but it’s what came to me when thinking about the prompt so i went with it.

4. March 26, 2016 at 10:11 pm

I’m loving all these half-light photos that are cropping up here and there, Deb – yours add to the collection perfectly!

• March 28, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for that Tom, I agree it’s lovely to see the array of half-light shots.

5. March 26, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Spectacular!

6. March 27, 2016 at 12:51 am

Beautiful photos and the poem is perfectly chosen. Thank you!

• March 28, 2016 at 12:14 pm

My pleasure Irene – it was a bit of ‘will I or won’t I’ use that poem but I’m glad I did.

7. March 28, 2016 at 8:29 am

Lovely Deb. Always an emotional poem. Perfect.

• March 28, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Desleyjane, I love it and it is so emotional but in reality it started life as just a poem – we have made it into something far more and given it the connection fr our Remembrance ceremonies. It did feel a bit wrong t use it out of its usual context but I kept telling myself that it is a first and foremost a poem that someone wrote to share. Always love getting your comments and support.x

• March 28, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Very true. It’s our connection with the poem that has made it powerful. I hope you’re having a lovely Easter weekend X.