Big Debbie’s purple boots

One day Debbie woke up to a foggy, wet world

From inside her cozy warm cave she inspected the day.

She stayed in her pyjamas and read her book in front of the fire

But she kept looking at the rain tumbling down outside.

Debbie decided to get dressed into her wet weather gear

and head out to join the rainy day.

She ignored her best friends, her trusty running shoes

She ignored her sturdy waterproof walking boots

Instead, Debbie put on her purple gumboots and felt a change occur.

Purple boots

She splashed through the muddy puddles,

She sploshed in the mini lakes that were forming

And swooshed through the rivers snaking their way into the newly formed lakes.

She jumped (yes jumped!) in the potholes of water

She laughed at the raindrops splattering her not-quite-waterproof suit.

She stood in the muddy truck tyre tracks and lifted her face to the rain.

It ran down her face and she smiled.

It didn’t matter that Debbie was now a big girl,

Inside she was still little and her purple boots made her life fun.

By Debbie Harris 🙂

Note: This story was inspired by my daughter’s (Sarah) favourite childhood book Big Sarah’s little boots

One thought on “Big Debbie’s purple boots

1. June 5, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Something told me to forget my next priority on my blog to do list and rush to read a wet walk post. It’s lovely and I think your girls won’t be surprised. At all. I don’t know Big Sarah’s Little Boots but it reminds a little bit of We’re going on a Bear Hunt or whatever the title is. All those beautiful noisy verbs. Lovely, lovely little piece. And I love that you went out and did that. Now make yourself a hot chocolate. Please put it on FB and Pin it. 🙂

• June 5, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Thanks so much Louise!! It came to me as I was wandering about in the forest and I wrote it as soon as I got back inside. My girls loved it 😊 I’ve enjoyed a hot chai latte and a little rest. I’ll do as you say and share it, I just don’t want to annoy people with my constant posts!!

2. June 5, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Love it! I’ve just read an article in January’s Runner’s World about bringing play into our training 🙂 Sounds like you are doing it right Debbie! The way the rain is coming down right now I might have to go out and actually run in my gummies.

• June 5, 2016 at 4:16 pm

It really was fun Annie! No time constraints, no music playing, no pressure just pure fun jumping in puddles. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

3. June 5, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Well that put a HUGE smile on my face Deb. How absolutely wonderful. Now I feel like getting out there with my Bogs and splashing around in the puddles. Gorgeous fun happy post. Perfect for a gray Sunday afternoon. 🙂

• June 5, 2016 at 4:15 pm

I’m glad I made you smile Miriam! It was fun to write it too believe me. I’m glad I gave in to the whimsical mood and recorded my thoughts. Stay dry and warm 💦

• June 5, 2016 at 4:39 pm

You too. It’s a freezing cold and gray old day here.

4. June 5, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Big Debbie’s rain walk is refreshing!
    I’ll take a leaf out of her ‘book’ and walk out when it rains here, so that the little girl inside me can laugh 🙂

• June 5, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Good for you! You won’t be disappointed I promise you. Thanks for the comment. 😊

5. Julie Giddings
    June 5, 2016 at 6:35 pm

I can fully picture you out in this miserable cold weather having a ball laughing your head off with that special twinkle in your eye ☺ me, well i mainly did housework, cooking and cleaned out my undies, bras and socks drawers lol

• June 5, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Thanks for that Julie! I think I may have had a bit more fun than you!! I’ve had the best day in ages. 😊😊

6. SMP
    June 5, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Lovely story Deb, I can just picture you doing all that and such a good way to tell the story.

• June 5, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Thanks! It was such fun being out there. My steps have suffered during this wet weather so I had to do something. You’ll be beating me this week for sure.

7. June 6, 2016 at 5:42 am

Beautiful and fun poetry!!

8. June 6, 2016 at 11:30 pm

This is adorable Deb. And I LOVE your boots!

• June 7, 2016 at 8:46 am

That’s because they are pink (and purple)!! Thanks for your lovely comment I’m so glad you enjoyed my little story. 😊

9. June 7, 2016 at 4:05 am

This sounds like fun! I have some black “sploshing” boots. I bought them for another use, but this “rain play” makes me what to go out and do a rain dance so I can put on my boots and have even more fun. We don’t have to be children to be spontaneous. Could I tell you stories of how a 60+ women has fun?! Yes I could!

• June 7, 2016 at 8:36 am

I agree! We need to continue to be spontaneous the older we get bee can get into taking things too seriously too quickly and forget the fun part of living. Glad you feel inspired to do a rain dance 😊

10. March 30, 2017 at 3:07 am

A lovely story for children. Posted it on my Facebook page @SirChocolateBooks.

• March 30, 2017 at 11:05 am

I really appreciate you sharing my little story, thanks so much 🙂

11. June 8, 2017 at 10:50 pm

Playful, festive, joyous. Well done Deb!

12. June 9, 2017 at 7:10 am

Love it. I bought orange rubber boots that make me smile when I put them on – even when it is raining!

• June 9, 2017 at 9:37 am

Ohhh I’d love an orange pair of rubber boots!! I do have a great pair of orange winter shoes which I love wearing and always get comments on due to their happy shade. Thanks for your comment 🙂