Magnetic poem #2 – The waterfall

Waterfall

Today’s poem was inspired by a magnificent waterfall, Paddy’s River Falls, which is very close to our little town of Tumbarumba (in New South Wales, Australia). I’ve matched my waterfall poem with some photos and video just so you can share my delight.

My sister and her husband came for a visit over the weekend, on a spontaneous whim to leave the city behind and keen for some photographic opportunities.  I must admit I love anything spontaneous and it was a great weekend together.

I enjoyed a 15km ride around town with friends before meeting up for morning tea (and lunch) in a local cafe, then we headed for the falls. (My sister has written this post which is interesting).

We have had so much rain over the past few months that these local falls are just roaring with water tumbling every which way with a soundtrack of thunder.  We stood under them for ages just listening to the noise and the power of the water hurtling above us. This poem came out of this experience and I’m thrilled that I can share it and my photos with you.

It’s hard to believe that a few years ago these falls had dried up to little more than a trickle due to the extreme drought we were suffering.  Things are a bit different these days!

I’ve added a short video of the falls so that you can hear for yourself how powerful they are.

Here are a few other photos of our visit to the falls.

I was reminded that we should never underestimate the power of nature!

I’m really glad to have found this magnetic poetry challenge on the home of the elusive trope’s  Specks and Fragments blog.  You can find my first magnetic poem and read all about this challenge here.

I hope you enjoy my poem and photos.

PS. After a lovely day without any rain, guess what? – it’s raining again!!

One thought on “Magnetic poem #2 – The waterfall

1. September 18, 2016 at 2:32 pm

I am enjoying those magnetic poems with you Deb. What a lovely weekend. Louise

• September 18, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Thanks Louise, I’m glad to hear that. It’s really quite therapeutic! I had to work with the words I was given so I’m happy with the result.

2. September 18, 2016 at 2:40 pm

How lovely to spend time with family in such a beautiful place. It’s raining here too. Although it was a stunner of a day yesterday.

• September 18, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Desley, it was great fun. We were so lucky to get the day in yesterday without rain. We’ve had more than enough rain lately!

3. September 18, 2016 at 2:45 pm

beautifully fresh 🙂

4. September 18, 2016 at 5:06 pm

There’s an impressive amount of water coming over those falls. I love the name of your town, by the way. 🙂

• September 18, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated! It’s a great name isn’t it? There’s a poem called the Integrated Adjective that has this great line in it: I’ve been to Tumba-bloody-Rumba, chasing Kanga-bloody-Roos. Enjoy 🙂

• September 19, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I think I like “Tumba- bloody-Rumba” even more. The town council should think about a name change. 🙂

5. Anonymous
    September 18, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Wow Deb, the falls are spectacular, I have never seen them like this and the noise is amazing. So pleased you were able to get out for a day and enjoy them with S&T.

• September 19, 2016 at 7:01 am

Yes it was lovely to have S&T here and to share the falls with them. More rain is expected this week so they will be running like this for quite some time I think.

6. September 18, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Love this ❤ http://www.misskymmiee.com

7. September 23, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Fabulous photos and I love your poem too. Like the magnetic idea- I’ll have to go and investigate 🙂 🙂

• September 23, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Thanks Jo, much appreciated! I enjoy the creative surge I get when I do the magnetic poems.

• September 23, 2016 at 6:08 pm

I had a look at the site and it’s definitely one to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

8. October 11, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Great poem Deb and wonderful photos. Paddys is such a beautiful waterfall.

• October 13, 2016 at 6:11 pm

So much more water going over now, just a few weeks later. Hopefully the rain has eased off now for all of us. Thanks!

• October 13, 2016 at 9:22 pm

I hope so too. We’re actually thinking of taking a road trip up your way late December this year. I’d love to visit Paddys again.

• October 13, 2016 at 9:23 pm

If you do you’ll have to let me know! It would be great to see you visit.