Throwback Thursday – I was a young mother once…

Throwback Thursday – Feeling nostalgic

Recently I was away from home and on my own for the day.  It was quite a novel experience and one I enjoyed immensely!

I went for a run along the Yarra Trail (in Melbourne) and ended up at the Collingwood Children’s Farm cafe for a sit down and a reviving cup of tea – OK and a muffin 😦

Sitting there looking around me, I was immediately taken back to the time in my not so distant past.  As a young mother, I would often take my three daughters out and about to similar places.  I saw many mothers, and some fathers, having a fun time enjoying the fresh air, the animals, the bonding with others and simply being out of the house for a few hours.  There were also the upset toddlers, the tired mothers, the disgruntled babies and the not-so-fun stuff going on.  That’s just a part of life as a parent though.

I felt nostalgic for this time of my life and envied these young families in some ways.  I am in a  completely different place now, having been retired recently and old enough to be a grandmother. I still remember the feelings I had as a young mother, the feelings of inadequacy, the worry that I wasn’t up to the task, that I wasn’t a capable mother and yet I was responsible for these dependent little humans. The good days and the bad days.  I still wonder how they survived and grew into such amazing, clever creatures.  I think my husband had a lot to do with it!

1990

With my three girls in 1990

Fast forward to 2017 and my eldest daughter has just written a post with a letter to her 2006 self as she was setting out on an adventure to live and work in England (all the way from Australia).  It talks of her concerns, her homesickness and her love of family despite us being halfway across the world from her.

When you step on the plane you’ll be thinking of the adventures you’re going to have, the people you’ll meet, the countries you’ll go to and the new life you’ll have. What you won’t be thinking about is what you’ll end up missing out on at home while you’re away and rightly so in your mind you’re only going for a couple of years. Not much will happen in that time. Although it’s glaringly obvious, you forget life will go on even if you’re not there.

A few weeks ago it was Dad’s 60th birthday and you won’t be there for the party. Yes you saw him a month earlier on an amazing family holiday and celebrated with everyone then but you miss out on being there now. You’ll Facetime (FaceTime is amazing just you wait) and talk to everyone and see how much fun they are having together and they will laugh at how rugged up you are when it’s so warm there and then you’ll hang up and smile but that smile will fade into tears. Tears of sadness that you’re not there, guilt that you’re not there and longing as you wish to be there and not in your lounge getting ready to put the washing away.

Home is where the heart is and you’re fortunate enough to have your heart on both sides of the world.

Upon reading her post, through my tears I’ll admit, I thought back to that day at the farm cafe and remembered my nostalgia for a time when life was simpler in many ways and my babies were still so dependent on me. I watched the goings on for a while, thinking back over the years, and simply enjoyed the moment.

Baby

Happy little vegemite

My daughter is still living in England and is engaged to a lovely English fellow.  They plan to stay there as they have made a great life together with many friends in a supportive network. I am proud of her and all that she has achieved, it’s not been easy for her at times. A few years ago I wrote a post about each of my daughters (and my mother) comparing our lives at the same age.  It was a very interesting exercise and one we all enjoyed.  I’ll be updating these as the girls age and take on new roles in their lives.  Here’s the link to the one I wrote on Melanie.

She still needs me as her mother and she will always be my baby daughter,  no matter how old she gets. I saw this quote recently and I think it says it all : a mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.

Mother and daughter

Mother daughter love

I must add that it was lovely to spend time among young families, as it seems wherever I go lately I’m part of a completely different demographic 🙂

I have no words of wisdom to add except to say that parenting is fun and it’s also hard.  It’s important to do the best job you can at the time and not to run yourself down. I can honestly say it is the most worthwhile job I’ve ever had.  The years fly by far too quickly so enjoy the moments as you make them.  Take the photos, write the stories down, keep your memories alive and tell your children how you feel – they grow up so fast these days.

family

All grown up now!

One day it will be you writing a Throwback Thursday post about your babies 🙂

My daughter blogs at The Wandering Darlings and I wrote a post recently about our blogging family.  Thanks to her post The Hard part of Living Abroad which prompted me to write my thoughts down.

Do you get nostalgic for times gone by too, or is it just me??

Enjoy your day!!

Deb xx

One thought on “Throwback Thursday – I was a young mother once…

1. Donna
    March 2, 2017 at 11:57 am

You have a beautiful and talented family!

• March 2, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Awww thanks Donna, I’m pretty proud of them all 🙂

2. March 2, 2017 at 1:41 pm

so sweet and I can so relate to the nostalgia! 🙂

• March 2, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Thanks Jodi, I’m glad you can relate. It’s funny looking back sometimes, at what you remember and how you felt about things 🙂

3. March 2, 2017 at 4:25 pm

What a lovely post, took me right back in time…

• March 2, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Thanks Vicky, I went back in time too. I love looking back at old photos and remembering the stories.

4. March 3, 2017 at 12:50 am

Such a great post Mum!! So well written and lovely to read. We were all such cuties when we were little (and obvs still now) xx

5. March 3, 2017 at 12:51 am

Reblogged this on thewanderingdarlings and commented:
    A family of bloggers and a great post from my lovely and talented mum http://www.debs-world.com

6. Chris M
    March 3, 2017 at 7:58 am

Love this story Deb. It can be extremely difficult when the kids move away. On the one hand you miss them so terribly and they miss the family. On the other hand we are so proud of them for being confident enough to take on the world. Love reading your blogs.

• March 3, 2017 at 8:01 am

Thanks so much Chris, you have summed it up perfectly. Glad to hear you enjoy my blog too, it’s my creative outlet where I get to tell stories 😊

7. March 3, 2017 at 8:35 am

Parenting sure is hard and not for the faint at heart. Yet it is the most joyous time in ones life and one that is the most important job ever. Our hats are off to those parents in the trenches every day and not quitting.

8. March 4, 2017 at 12:28 am

A lovely tribute to your daughters ❤

Being a mother is a mixed bag of wonderful with hard, bitter bits. We tend to be really hard on ourselves and all the mistakes we think we've made. Those moments when we feel absolute joy in our grown children, and we think our hearts just might explode with pride, then every worry and regret just melts away ❤

• March 4, 2017 at 7:26 am

So nicely put Joanne, thank you for your lovely comment. I have to remember that I did the best job I could and the results Doral for themselves. I do miss those early years but I don’t know whether I could go through it all again!! ❤️

• March 4, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Good grief, no!! I don’t know how the women who have children late in life manage to scrape up the energy!!

9. March 4, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Yes – oh so true.. I wish I’d written down more of those ‘moments in life’ when our children were young.. you think you’ll remember them all and then you realise they’ve ‘disappeared’ into the ethos of our minds… As a ‘nanna’ I absolutely ‘savour’ those moments knowing how quickly this time will pass.. This is a lovely post and genuinely bought a tear to my eye x

• March 4, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Oh thanks so much Wendy! What a lovely comment to make I enjoyed writing it and remembering my early days as a young mum. You’ve made me very happy.

10. March 6, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Your post made me stop in my tracks, along with your daughter’s post. The joys and tears and reality of having family on both sides of the world, far away in miles, close by in our hearts. Many thanks to both of you for sharing x

• March 6, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Thanks so much for your comment Ruth, it’s certainly interesting seeing it from both sides isn’t it? I miss her so much xx

11. March 7, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Awww a lovely post x

12. March 1, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Loved this post!!! My mum often gets nostalgic and I know when it’s my time I will too!

• March 1, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Thanks Ritu! It’s hard having my girls so far away but I have my happy memories, just like your mum x

13. March 1, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Aww Debbie, this had me smiling. I am still a young mother but my daughter is growing up fast! TIme to hold on to all the precious moments today 🙂

• March 1, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Yes indeed! Take the photos and enjoy the moments, good and bad!

14. March 1, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Ok, I am in bits here. Sitting with my bubbas eating breakfast and dreading the day they might not want me to hug them. Beautiful words and pictures Debbie x

• March 1, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Oh that means so much to me! Just enjoy your bubbas every day and they’ll always want a hug from you 🙂

15. March 1, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Oh this is so beautiful! ❤️ I think FaceTime is amazing. When I lived away from my family being able to FaceTime home and “join in” made the homesickness that bit easier to deal with. I’ve not been blessed with my own family (yet hopefully) but I hope I’ll try to enjoy it all the good the bad and the ugly because time moves by so quickly! Blink and you miss it.

• March 1, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting Rachael. Face Time is very handy indeed especially for special occasions or just to relieve the homesickness as you say. Sometimes I just need to see my girls 🙂

16. March 1, 2018 at 10:22 pm

Aww that’s so lovely! I moved just 100 miles away from home when I was 19 and even at the age of 36 my mum still hasn’t quite adjusted to me moving away… I can’t imagine how she would have reacted if I said I was moving to Australia!

I love the relationship that you two have and the wonderful posts you write about each other!

Liked by 2 people

• March 1, 2018 at 10:32 pm

Thanks Suzie! That’s a lovely comment. We’re lucky that we do enjoy a good relationship and I feel very lucky. But it’s not always been easy! Producing and bringing up my daughters is the best thing I’ve done in my life. 😊

17. March 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm

I’m not convinced you’re actually their Mum- you look like their sister! Lovely post Debbie. It certainly is the hardest job in the world and I love it.

• March 1, 2018 at 10:53 pm

Haha!! That’s very sweet of you to say but I’m definitely their mother 😊 you’re right it is a hard job but so worth it 😊

18. March 1, 2018 at 11:13 pm

Nooo…..I don’t want to write a Throwback Thursday about my sons. Your gonna think I’m a jerk but I just wrote a post called 6 reasons why the baby years can suck it. I wrote it b/c the baby years area hard, despite their cuteness. This post is so sweet and it looks like you and your husband have done an amazing job, raising 3 beautiful girls to women!

• March 2, 2018 at 9:39 am

Thanks for your comment, I smiled at reading it!! I love your honesty and yes at times the baby years do suck but I’d still go back to revisit them if I could. It’s good being this side of bringing up children as I know so much more now. I’m looking forward to using all this aged wisdom when I finally become a grandmother 😊

• March 2, 2018 at 11:40 pm

Yes! A grandmother that can sugar up the grandchildren then give them back to the parents for the inevitable sugar rush then crash. I have experience with that…often! And you are right…I’d go back and “visit” the baby years but the first time my son’s little wee-wee begins to to pee while changing a diaper, I’d be the first to hop back in my time machine and say, “peace out kids! C-ya in a decade!”

19. March 2, 2018 at 12:39 am

I was never a Young Mother — I had The Child when I was almost 40 (!) But I remember my mother when she was a Young Mother. And you were (and still are) a Lovely Young Mother indeed. xoxo

• March 2, 2018 at 9:36 am

Aww thanks for your lovely comment, I smiled at reading it!! I think our kids keep us young so you are a young mother regardless of when you had your child. Xx

• March 3, 2018 at 3:49 am

What a (gulp) nice thing to say. And, by gosh, you’re right: our kids DO keep us young 😘

20. March 2, 2018 at 1:31 am

How lovely that your daughter blogs as well…None of mine do, they always praise me but none them have the writing bug …a lovely post Debs 🙂

• March 2, 2018 at 9:33 am

It’s great having her as a blogger Carol. We chat all things blogging when we get together or on FaceTime calls and my husband just rolls his eyes!! I’m glad you get praise from your family, it’s good to have their support. I’m so glad you enjoyed my post 😊

• March 2, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Yes, I wish one of mine would blog..lucky you Debs…If I did I am sure mine would roll his eyes as well but they do give me photos and ideas for posts so I can’t complain really x

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )