The Switch – #Writespiration

Writespiration – is a challenge courtesy of Sacha Black.  The challenge is to write something using the weekly theme in just 52 words…. EXACTLY 52 words, no more, no less.

This week Sacha has set the theme as The Switch. So here’s my story:

Come in, come in, they chorus.

Sit down, they say.

Make yourself comfortable, they say.

This won’t take long.

You understand why you’re here, don’t you?

It’s a big day for you, they claim.

Any last words, they ask?

We’re all ears.

Just before they press the switch that ends your life.

switch

This was great fun to write!  Does that say something about me I wonder??

writespiration-2017

I look forward to seeing how others have interpreted this one. I’d love to know what you think of my 52 word story!

My About me  page is up to date and you can also follow Deb’s World on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook.

One thought on “The Switch – #Writespiration

1. March 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Fantastic! Dark, but fantastic! I didn’t see the switch coming!

• March 24, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! I really appreciate your comment as I wasn’t sure it would work. My husband wasn’t too keen on the last line but to me that’s the most important one. I’m not normally dark so it was a bit of a surprise fir me too when I wrote it. 😊

2. leannelc
    March 24, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Loved this – it’s amazing how much you can convey with only a few words.

• March 24, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Many thanks! It is amazing what can be conveyed in such a way. I enjoyed the challenge immensely although the story is very dark for me!

3. March 24, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Oh my goodness I didn’t see that coming! A great challenge but I’m not that confident I could do it in 52 words! have a great weekend.

• March 24, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Thanks Sue! It’s harder than it might seem but it’s quite good to get the mind going, especially as we age. All the best for a lovely weekend too.

4. globalhousesitterX2
    March 24, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Well done Deb, I really enjoyed reading that with my morning cuppa! Great punch line! Yes, may have a link to your previous life ☺ Might have a go at doing that challenge one day!!

• March 24, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Thanks very much Suzanne. I liked the ending too but my husband wasn’t too impressed saying it was good up until the last line!! I went ahead with it and appreciate your comment of support. It’s a fun challenge that gets the mind working. Have a great day 😊

• globalhousesitterX2
        March 24, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Love that you use your husband as your proofreader as I do too. He also did not like the last line and though liked it up till then. Interesting. He is a into numbers not words. Have a good day 🙂

5. March 25, 2017 at 7:52 am

Fun to write something dark! Loved it! The premise reminds me of the old movie Logan’s Run, where everyone who turned 30 had to “go to sanctuary” (IOW, death)!

6. March 26, 2017 at 9:27 pm

I didn’t see that coming! Dark is sometimes fun, ain’t it?

• March 26, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Oh good, I’m glad it came as a surprise! Yes it can be quite fun being dark 🙂

7. Circle of Daydreams
    March 26, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Yikes!!! A twist in 52 words. (: Terrific!

• March 26, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback! It was quite challenging and I’m quite happy with the result.

8. March 26, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Whoah, that was powerful. Didn’t see it coming. Great job Deb. x

• March 26, 2017 at 10:19 pm

That’s what I like to hear Miriam, a surprise ending that wasn’t expected. Glad you enjoyed it 🙂 although as you know I’m not usually ‘dark’.

• March 26, 2017 at 10:22 pm

I know, which made it all the more surprising. 🙂

9. March 27, 2017 at 2:36 am

They better keep their hands off my switch!! Lol

10. March 27, 2017 at 3:05 am

Hi,
    I figured it was about the electric chair? Am I wrong and obviously morbid?
    Janice

• March 27, 2017 at 7:03 am

Yes you are right! I think I’m the morbid one though for writing it in the first place. A friend thought I was writing about my recent redundancy and the ending of my teaching career inside the correctional centre. It’s funny what different people read into things. Thanks for visiting and leaving me a comment, I love getting feedback.

• March 27, 2017 at 7:46 am

Thank you so much for the follow! I was glad I was right about your poem. I figured you would think I was morbid.

• March 27, 2017 at 7:46 am

I am also a teacher at the end of my career. I teach history and yearbook.
        Janice

11. March 31, 2017 at 11:07 pm

I love how well you were able to set the strangely “come one, come all” feel of approaching ‘the switch’ in only 52 words! Makes me reminiscent of Jackson’s the Lottery.

• March 31, 2017 at 11:52 pm

Thanks very much for your comments. It was quite a challenge but I enjoyed it immensely.