OK, I need some advice fellow bloggers….I’m feeling confused!
In my recent dealings with lots of blogging groups, Facebook and on other social media platforms, I have read a variety of posts on the subject of, surprise, surprise…..blogging.
Now I am not all that new to blogging, so I do have my own opinions and ideas. I never push my ideas onto my readers preferring to talk generally and highlight the subjects I enjoy blogging about. I make lots of mistakes and do lots of things wrong according to a recent post I read and I am feeling a bit disillusioned, confused and anxious about it all.
I have a few points I need help on:
- I don’t seem to have a niche – apart from travel and lifestyle blogging. Do I need a more defined niche in order to continue?
- I am not trying to make any money out of blogging – is there any point in continuing?
- My aim is to share information on travel destinations, lifestyle choices, life after being made redundant, adventures you can have as you age, books, observations on life…that sort of thing. Is there any point?
- I am worried my blog is too narcissistic – a recent post I read suggested bloggers should not blog about themselves. Maybe I’m shallow but I certainly hope I don’t come across as narcissistic. Your opinion is appreciated.
- I enjoy interacting with others in similar positions to me – should I be doing more, offering advice perhaps or changing my modus-operandi? Again is there any point?
- I’m not trying to skyrocket my stats, just maintain a loyal group of similar minded bloggers – am I unusual? Should I even be here?
- I don’t google what headlines to use, what keywords to use, I don’t have incentives to offer and OMG don’t get me started on making Pinterest graphics horizontal as opposed to vertical… WT#@&??
- Some say you should tag your posts, others say not to. Some swear by posting regularly some say it doesn’t matter, it’s the quality that counts…..blah blah blah!
My point is – this is my blog, in my part of the internet where I can share my world – yes MY WORLD! If I make a connection with you as a fellow blogger I am a loyal blogging friend, I rarely unfollow a blog once I start to follow and I reply to just about every comment that is left for me.
I enjoy comments, I enjoy reading blogs and I love learning about other people’s lives – the good and the bad stuff.
I may or may not share an opinion on a subject but it’s up to me to decide what I write about. I’m not going to follow all these ‘rules’ of blogging just to fit in with other people’s ideas of what blogging should be about. There are more than enough bloggers offering advice out there and so I am not going to join that particular niche market.
I admit to getting tired of reading all the blogs on how to improve your writing, your stats and what not to do to be successful and what you need to do to be a blogging superstar! I know some of these can be helpful tips and I have used some over the years but at the moment I’m feeling a bit confused and overwhelmed by it all!
Maybe I should just stop reading these sorts of posts?
I blog because:
- I enjoy writing and participating in writing and photo challenges
- I enjoy sharing photos from my iPhone (not even a proper camera)
- I enjoy meeting others in similar situations and reading experiences
- I love to travel and talking about great places to visit
Being made redundant in one career is enough – am I a redundant blogger too?
I’m interested to hear what you think on this subject – am I alone in wanting to be a nondescript blogger? Does this say more about me than anything else?
I admit to feeling confused about my blogging future and perhaps I am doubting my purpose. I know others have struggled with these sorts of thoughts before and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Suzie’s posts on the subject of blogging – in fact she helps me keep it all in perspective. maybe I’m just having one of ‘those’ days.
Any thoughts out there?