A feeling of security

Security  is the prompt for this week’s photo challenge and I’ve chosen to share a photo from the security of inside a plane.

As I boarded the plane the other day, I was reminded that when flying we put our lives in the pilot’s hands.

I really don’t know how planes stay up in the air but I somehow feel secure being above the clouds. I don’t like heights, being out of control or being on edges, but somehow I like flying.

I love looking down at the world below and feel secure in the knowledge that I am safe.

Despite all the plane accidents around the world, I don’t get into a plane and feel rising panic. There is a feeling of security, maybe misguided, but thankfully it’s there, as I have a lot of travelling still to do. And Australia is a long way from anywhere!

Clouds, flying, travel

The patterns of earth below the clouds

Clouds, flying

Above the clouds

Do you feel secure in a plane? Or a you a nervous flyer?

In case you’re wondering, I flew from Wagga Wagga to Brisbane, to visit my daughter before spending time with my parents in a week’s time. Family evokes a feeling of security too, especially now.

Enjoy your weekend!

Deb xx

See my About me page for the full story. You can also follow Deb’s World on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.

One thought on “A feeling of security

1. April 8, 2017 at 4:02 pm

I don’t like flying because I hate being out of control! As irony would have it, my husband is a pilot. And yes, before you ask let me tell you, I do feel secure when I’m in a plane he’s flying. Actually, I feel secure if he’s traveling with me. Just knowing he’s there and can – in most cases – take over if needed and knows everything there is to know about the emergency exits and slides (they actually practice sliding down them) makes me feel better.

• April 10, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Wow, that’s so handy having a husband who’s also a pilot! I’m glad you feel secure with him when you’re travelling. I feel very secure when travelling with my husband too, it must be a trust thing. Thanks Dena, lovely y to have you along for the flight!!

2. April 8, 2017 at 5:10 pm

I enjoy flying and looking out at the sky, the clouds and the world below. Definitely a sense of security inside the plane for me.

• April 10, 2017 at 6:42 pm

I’m with you Ruth, it’s definitely a beautiful sight looking down on the world.

3. April 8, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Wonderful photos Deb and a lovely take on the prompt. Must admit that, despite having a few nerves on take off, I really enjoy flying. Landing is even better when the next adventure begins! Enjoy your time away. xo

Liked by 2 people

• April 10, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Thanks Miriam, I must admit if it’s bumpy or windy I get a bit nervous. Once you’re down the adventure starts as you say. All good!!

4. Shirley Corder
    April 8, 2017 at 7:33 pm

I love flying. I’ve had a couple of bumpy flights where I’ve had to keep my panic under control, but it hasn’t spoiled the experience for me. Have a great time with family.

• April 10, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Thanks Shirley, I’m glad the bumps haven’t spoiled your experience. I’m lucky that I haven’t had anything too scary yet. Having a lovely time with family 😊

5. Donna
    April 9, 2017 at 12:40 am

I’m good with flying as well. And I totally agree, family gives the best feeling of security of all!

• April 10, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Family is the best reason for travel and for us it’s a necessity, so I’m glad I don’t have a flying phobia. The security of family is the best feeling 😊

6. April 9, 2017 at 6:18 am

I don’t like flying much, but that’s about comfort rather than security. I’m ok with short-haul (Melbourne is about my comfort limit) but these days anywhere further is looking less and less attractive.

• April 10, 2017 at 6:47 pm

I understand completely Su! I have to prepare myself for our long haul trips to see our daughter in U.K, it always is such a long time to be cooped up. Secure yes but not always comfortable!

7. April 9, 2017 at 7:01 am

I love the views from the portholes when flying – views such as your images here – but I’m not a fan. Taking off and landing are a nightmare!

• April 9, 2017 at 6:19 pm

I too love taking pics out of the windows on a plane, and I’m not nearly as worried about taking off and landing as I used to be. I agree they can be a bit scary if the weather is bad. Thanks for stopping by 😊

8. April 9, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Thank you for inspiring me. I like visiting new places and in my case flying is the suitable option but I easily get panic by air turbulances.

• April 10, 2017 at 6:51 pm

I understand the fear of turbulence and feel for you if you get in a bit of a panic. It’s an amazing thing to be able to fly across the world.

9. October 30, 2017 at 5:53 am

I fall under the ‘nervous flyer’ category. Am still surprised I actually flew to Australia given how much I dislike long flights. Funnily enough I blogged about being a nervous flyer on my recent flight. It did the trick and kept me distracted! xx

• October 30, 2017 at 1:20 pm

That’s a great effort to fly to Australia! I need distractions at times but usually I just try to sleep and tune out. Thanks for the comment on this post 🙂