Anyone want a Mother? #Writespiration

Writespiration – is a great challenge from writer and blogger Sacha Black.  The challenge is to write something using the weekly theme in just 52 words…. EXACTLY 52 words, no more, no less. It’s harder than it seems, feel free to have a go yourself if you doubt me!

This week the topic is to write an Advert for your Mother.

I’m not sure if we’re selling our mothers, auctioning them off or renting them out but it’s a bit tricky because I’m actually visiting my mother at the moment and she reads my blog!  I haven’t told her about this one so it might come as a surprise!

Have I got a deal for you!!

One slightly aged (aged to perfection) mother of 3, grandmother to 23, wife of one. Fit, vibrant, stylish, caring mother.  Good sense of humour, loves a chat and a cup of tea. Has a Fitbit,  Pebblewatch, iPhone, iPad, kindle and knows how to use them!  Into knitting, crochet, excellent homemaker. Rarely idle.

Just for fun I asked my daughters what they would put in an advert for me – here are their words (there’s only a few more than 52 words):

Would you like someone who:

Laughs at jokes before they tell them

Snorts when they laugh and then laughs more

Never swears (well rarely)

Hardworking but not overly ambitious (no need to worry she’s going to move on quickly)

Loyal, dedicated (with the same man since she was 16)

Generous except when sharing food

Entertaining, often at own expense

Is like a hummingbird on speed

Willing to negotiate on cost (trying to get ahead in our house deposits because our parents are more focused on travelling and their own enjoyment than funding their children’s house deposits. 🙂

Family

Just a bit of fun. I know they love me!  🙂

I look forward to seeing how others have interpreted this one. I’d love to know what you think!

writespiration-2017

For more info you can check out my About me  page  and you can also follow Deb’s World on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook.

One thought on “Anyone want a Mother? #Writespiration

1. April 16, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Love that you asked your girls!!!

• April 16, 2017 at 6:49 pm

I couldn’t help myself, although they did wonder what I was up to!!

• April 16, 2017 at 6:58 pm

I must admit to doing that too with my kids!!

2. noellekelly
    April 16, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Gas article Deb! 🙂

3. April 16, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Would that bit about sharing include chocolate? I wouldn’t share either 🙂 I have a brilliant mother, who emails every day uses her mobile phone to text and has been dealing with Parkinson’s for the last 20 years. So she’s also an inspirational Mum too 🙂 x

• April 16, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Thanks Suzanne,mum is very special. Your mum sounds great too. My dad has Parkinson’s and is now in an aged care facility, which is very hard on both of them. Yes that bit about sharing was all about chocolate 😊

4. April 16, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Yes, it is very hard for a couple when they are separated. Mum turns 80 this December and Dad is a couple of years older. So far they are managing through even when we lived a km away I am sure we didn’t know half of hardship they go through dealing with health issues. Both Les’s parents are in care due to Alzheimer’s. This is why we are doing what we do, life is too damned short and not knowing what is around the corner [thank goodness]!! A big hooray to our parents for dealing with what life has dealt them!

• April 17, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Thanks for your understanding. It’s a good idea doing what you’re doing.

5. April 16, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Love it!!!

6. April 16, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Love this! I’ve tried to sell off my parents for years (“One owner, slightly shop-soiled”) but people keep on returning them 😀

7. April 16, 2017 at 9:25 pm

This is a great writing prompt. Sometimes it is fun to try something a little different. I loved your post. Cheers!

• April 16, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Steph! Mixing it up with posts can be fun sometimes. Thanks for your comment.

8. April 16, 2017 at 10:53 pm

What an intriguing idea. I’ll have to try this

• April 16, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Great! Give it a go, you can write in any format, it just has to be 52 words.

• April 17, 2017 at 1:21 am

I will be posting this on my own blog along with the writing prompt and a link to you. I’ts been a long time since I wrote something based on a prompt. Terrific idea

My Advertisement for Mom

Wanted: Mommy to replace one that broke unexpectedly.
        Must like to make quiche, creativity and gardening.
        Hugs, laughter are mandatory, lessons in native her tongue optional.
        Conversations over coffee, delighting in the antics of kids and grandkids preferred.
        Willingness to turn back time to restore childhood lost.
        Despotic Nannies need not apply.

• April 17, 2017 at 8:37 pm

That’s great work. Loved reading your post too. Thanks 😊

9. collegeceliackc
    April 17, 2017 at 1:27 am

What a cool challenge! I’ll def have to jump on the Writesperation train. A great job with the prompt!

• April 17, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Thanks very much, it was great fun.

10. April 17, 2017 at 1:48 am

‘Like a hummingbird on speed.’ 🤔 That sounds as if they’ve got you on fast-forward, Deb.
    What great fun you had with this.

• April 17, 2017 at 8:40 pm

I did enjoy it Hugh 😂. Luckily mum liked it too. It’s always interesting to read what my children come up with.

11. April 17, 2017 at 2:03 am

This is so fun! Your mom sounds lovely, and it sounds like your girls are very fond of you as well! 🙂

• April 17, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Thanks very much, we all enjoyed the challenge and you’re right it was great fun.

12. April 17, 2017 at 3:54 am

I love the ‘advert’ you did for your mum, and the one your kids did for you too!!! 🙂

13. April 17, 2017 at 5:17 am

This is great Deb. Both “ads” have so much love bursting through.

14. April 17, 2017 at 7:08 am

I think I would love to buy your Mom. I would have so much fun with her, especially with her love of crocheting.

• April 17, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Thanks Alana, she’s a keeper that’s for sure and is making me a crochet hat as we speak. 😊

15. April 17, 2017 at 10:05 am

You and your mother both sound terrific! Saw your link at Sue’s Over the Moon Link Party #69.

• April 17, 2017 at 8:48 pm

My pleasure to be involved. Thanks for your comment 😊

16. April 17, 2017 at 10:07 am

Deb, I am sure your lovely mother will be well pleased with your well chosen 52 words.Louise

• April 17, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Yes Louise! She was very impressed with my 52 words. It’s quite hard. Hope you are going well.

17. April 17, 2017 at 10:30 am

lol Love this writing prompt! 😛 And you’re so right, small word count challenges are way trickier than they sound! I did one recently for the first time that was 75 or 80 words if I recall properly. It was so hard to squeeze in everything I wanted to convey with so few words, but hey, that’s why they’re called writing “challenges”, right? 😉

• April 17, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Yes they are good challenges to test ourselves. I enjoy the process and creativity that manages to come out in these sorts of responses. Thanks for your comment.

18. April 17, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Lovely words, and what a fun 360 degree approach 🙂

• April 17, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Thanks Ruth, it made us all think!! My girls wondered what I was up to when I text them my request for words.

19. April 18, 2017 at 4:20 am

What a fun idea, just in time for Mother’s Day!

• April 19, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Yes, I thought the timing was pretty good too. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment 🙂

20. April 18, 2017 at 7:23 am

Haha love this Deb.

21. April 18, 2017 at 10:35 am

So much fun that you asked your girls to participate. I can’t imagine what shenanigans my sons would write! 😉
    My favourite line … “Snorts when they laugh and then laughs more” 😀

• April 19, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Haha, I love that line too! They had fun once they knew what I was doing it for. Thanks Joanne.

22. April 19, 2017 at 3:38 am

Love your post. Thanks for sharing at Over The Moon Party.
    Hugs,
    Bev

• April 19, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Thanks Bev, it’s great to have the opportunity to share. I’m enjoying the various posts and links at the ‘party’.

23. Shirley Corder
    April 19, 2017 at 9:37 pm

Love both these adverts! What fun. How do you keep track of your blog posts? P is for Plan with Purpose as you Build a Better Blog. #AtoZchallenge.

24. angelanoelauthor
    April 22, 2017 at 10:39 pm

I love both your advert for your mom and the one your daughters wrote for you–particularly “hummingbird on speed.” What a wonderful image! You sound like a loving family with lots of laughter.

• April 22, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Glad you like my adverts!! It was fun and I agree, we do have a lot of fun together 😊 a work colleague actually called me a humming bird on speed first and it seems to have stuck to me – I don’t know why!!

25. May 3, 2017 at 2:50 am

Love this Deb! Much of your post could be used to describe my Mom! I’d have to add tap-dancing and ukulele-playing for mine!

• May 3, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Ooh, I love the tap-dancing and ukulele playing – that’s awesome! Thanks for sharing, it’s given me a picture in my head now 🙂

26. May 3, 2017 at 9:06 am

Do you take any lodger?? That sounds like a funny household, how did your husband cope with 4 women in the house? Have you got at least a male pet? 🙂 I can imagine, now that your daughters are grown, it must feel awesome to go out shopping and all that. The best friends in life are the ‘home-made’ ones, isn’t it wonderful?!

• May 3, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Oh Klaudia, your comment made my day 🙂 My husband also wonders how he coped with us 4 women, as well as a female cat, a rabbit, 2 dogs and chickens! Life is never dull that’s for sure 🙂 I have the best times now with my daughters, shopping, manicures, massages, movies… it’s great fun. Thanks again for making me laugh and for interacting with my blog in such a wonderful way.