#Top10 Tips for Two weeks of Travelling in Tasmania

Our Top 10 tips for seeing Tasmania in two weeks

Disclaimer: We are two recently retired teachers who have been to Tasmania several times but we still have lots to see and do.  These are our thoughts made from our notes and discussions as we travelled around.  We wished someone had paid for our trip but sadly that didn’t happen!

The Top 10 list was compiled after our recent 2 week trip in late May – early June 2017.  We travelled in our own car, with our two pushbikes,  on the Spirit of Tasmania from Melbourne to Devonport.  After attending a family wedding we headed off on our adventure. We stayed in a variety of accommodation from houses, cottages, cabins, B&B and even a jail cell.  We had nothing pre-booked, we just decided on the day which direction we were heading and made plans on the run. It was good to be out of season and we managed to get some great specials along the way.

1. Pack for all weather contingencies – layers are best.  Remember that Tasmania is quite south and therefore the weather is getting cool by this time of year.  I have also travelled in summer and been caught out with a cold snap, it’s very changeable. I took jeans, active-wear,  thermal singlets, long sleeved tops, vests, jumpers, lightweight coats and a waterproof coat. Shoes included walking boots, running shoes and casual ankle boots.  Beanie, gloves, scarves and an umbrella.  As we were hoping to ride our bikes I also took some specific riding gear but ended up wearing normal active-wear.  Bike, TasmaniaMy husband spent a lot of time in his long shorts. We were lucky to have the car so we didn’t have a weight limit 🙂  If travelling in summer this list would have to be revised to include sunscreen, swimmers, shorts, t shirts etc.  As I showed in this post, I’m not the world’s best packer.
  2. Phone reception – a lot of people don’t realise that phone reception in Tasmania is mostly provided by the Telstra network and as such Optus, Vodaphone and others may not work at all. We now understand why we were given a Telstra SIM card in the Welcome to Tasmania pack, as we left the boat in Devonport. A very thoughtful gesture, not to mention practical, from the kind tourism people.  We had patchy reception and were caught out at various times.  The worst time was a case of bad timing as it was our daughter’s birthday in UK and we couldn’t ring her until the next day – she wasn’t very understanding! WiFi was offered at several of our accommodation stops but was generally not much use.  There are several places in major Tasmanian towns/cities where WiFi is offered throughout the town area. I learnt to manage without it mostly) and saved notes for my blog updates at a later date.  It’s nice sometimes to be off the grid!
  3. Don’t rush – it may be a small island but there’s a lot of ground to cover and many things to see.  One visit can’t do it justice. We already have places on our list for next time. Travelling times aren’t always fast and roads signs were helpful in giving estimate driving times between major places.  We were pleased to have set a minimum of two night stays whenever we could.  The days are shorter too at this time of the year and the sun was setting quite early (like 4.30pm)  We always tried to be settled into accommodation for the night by 3pm so that we weren’t driving around in the dark looking.
  4. Shopping bags – in case you didn’t know most of Tasmania is plastic bag free which means you either provide your own or you pay for bags.  If you have your own vehicle it might be a good idea to put in a few shopping bags for any shopping you may need to do.  Good on you Tasmania!!
  5. Purchase a National Parks Pass beforehand.  We bought ours on the boat on the way over and it was well used. You would often need to display the card on your dashboard when in a National Park.  We also took a photo of the card on our phone in case we were asked for it while away from the vehicle. It cost $60 and was valid for 2 months.  Well worth the money!
  6. Get off the beaten track but make sure you have some cash.  We came across a ferry in the middle of nowhere, and knew there’d be a charge, but not how much.  It was $25 and thankfully we had cash on hand, as I don’t think card facilities were an option.  Tasmania Map, travel, touringThere are many roads off the beaten track, it’s fun taking the road less travelled.
  7. Breathe deeply and relax – apparently the air in Tasmania is so good for you, every breath adds 10 seconds to your life!  It’s also good for your complexion!
  8. Be prepared to change your plans. We took our bikes with us intending to ride rail trails and anywhere there was a shared walking path.  We had a good first week of riding but the second week the weather wasn’t as conducive to riding, we even had a day of driving through snow!  So although we had plans to ride it wasn’t always possible and we had to look around for alternatives.  We also noticed that towards the end of our two weeks, into early June, many places were closing for the season and activities were limited so we had to be flexible.
  9. It was good to have a bag with basic food supplies and a thermos – I now sound like my grandmother – we were often caught out in isolated places without cafes or shops, so our bag of goodies was very useful.  We always had teabags, cups, plates, cutlery, crackers, vegemite, breakfast cereals, meusli bars and snacks on hand which not only was convenient, it saved us some money too.  I’m a frugal retiree now 🙂
  10. Enjoy yourself – this is not hard to do. The people, the scenery, the history – it’s all amazing!  Talk to locals, ask questions, get guidance on where to go and what to do.
  11. Take plenty of photos – even if it’s only on your phone.  The shots are useful for when you write up your Travel Blog or make your photo book when you return home. The light in Tasmania is beautiful and soft at this time of year and I am thrilled with my iPhone pics.  The immediacy of the internet, assuming you can get reception, is good for sharing your best shots of the day.  Try to find and use appropriate hashtags such as #DicoverTasmania #visitTasmania on Instagram or Twitter (if that’s what you’re into).

I’ve had a great time with my series of Tour de Tassie travel blog posts highlighting our recent travels and still have a few stories to update. If you like reading about travelling or Tasmania, you may be interested in what I’ve written so far:

Timeless Tarraleah

Maria Island

Wordless Wednesday 31 May 2017

Wordless Wednesday 7 June 2017

A circuitous route

Wild and Wonderful West Coast

Can you relate to this list, are there any other tips you’d add?

Until next time!

Deb 😊

Note: I hope you appreciated the alliteration in the title!  It doesn’t take much to amuse me.

Top 10 tips, travel, Tasmania

Top 10 tips

All photos are mine unless stated and were taken with my trusty iPhone!

Marilyns Treats

You can also find Deb’s World in these places:

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “#Top10 Tips for Two weeks of Travelling in Tasmania

1. June 12, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Really enjoyed your tips Debbie and Tassie is definitely on our list! Thanks for mentioning about cash I never have cash on me. Tassie is so beautiful though everyone should visit

Liked by 2 people

• June 12, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Sue, we wondered what would happen if people didn’t have cash in this case after driving so far off the beaten track. I’m sure it’s happened.

• June 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Hi Deb I have selected your post as my favourite for this week’s Over the Moon Link Party.Congratulations!

• June 16, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Wow thanks Sue, that’s great to hear. Is there anything I need to do?

• June 16, 2017 at 4:59 pm

No you can download the I was Featured image on the post next week. We put your link up and an image of your post so people can see who were the featured picks!

2. June 12, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Well done Tasmania for saying no to plastic bags. Time zones are hard to get write when travelling! Good points Debbie!

Liked by 2 people

• June 12, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Suz! They are ahead of the game in regard to plastic bags.

3. June 12, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Oh, LOLS, Debbie. Living here, we forget about phone coverage and plastic bags. In Hobart I think the weather is pretty good, but yes, it is wet on the west coast. Great tips for other mainlanders 🙂

• June 12, 2017 at 7:36 pm

So glad it’s OK Ruth and you approve!! It’s funny the sorts of things we forget when we live somewhere isn’t it? Thanks for commenting.

4. June 12, 2017 at 9:33 pm

You’re right Deb. That was an impressive display of alliteration! But absolutely worthy of the vluable travel tips. I never would have thought to swap SIM cards…

5. June 12, 2017 at 9:37 pm

This is a useful post with good tips, Deb. I have always flown to Tassie and we have hired a car. Still have much more exploring to do there though. I was interested in reading you received a Welcome to Tasmania Pack. They are very switched on with Tourism. Also Arts Tasmania is very good, Arts and \crafts are well supported in the island. Love the photo on the Gordon on the top right. Look forward to reading more of your Tassie posts. Louise

• June 13, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Thanks for the comment Louise, and you are right about arts/crafts being big there. They are ver low key in their tourism in some ways but in other ways they have it all worked out. I love the place!

6. robjodiefilogomo
    June 12, 2017 at 10:58 pm

This is the place I need to go to get away from technology it seems like?? What an adventurous spirit you have to not have things already booked. But hey, since you were in your car, I guess you could always camp there too??!!
    Jodie

• June 13, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Yes Jodie, that thought did cross our minds! It wasn’t very busy as it’s low season so we took a gamble on being able to find a place to stay. We did really well!! It’s a great place for a holiday.

7. June 13, 2017 at 1:43 am

This trip has been on our list for oh-so long. Every time I see a post like this it pushes higher up on the list!

• June 13, 2017 at 10:13 pm

So glad I can help inspire you Carol. You would love it!

8. June 13, 2017 at 2:02 am

Great tips Debbie. Not been to Tasmania YET but sounds very laidback and ideal for adventures! The tourism pack seems such a good idea – especially changing your SIM card. In the UK plastic bags are rarely used now – bags are chargeable here at the check out. In France, you put all your shopping in large cardboard boxes!!-No plastic bags there either. 😊

• June 13, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Yes we learnt to use recycled shopping bags in Europe and UK. It’s something we have to do more of down here. I remember packing shopping in boxes too.

9. June 13, 2017 at 7:24 am

Hi Debbie! Great to see you linking up with us at #overthemoon link party. Tasmania is such a beautiful place and your tips are appreciated. I’m sharing on social media. Have a lovely week and see you next week.
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond

10. June 13, 2017 at 9:50 am

Oh my gosh, I would love to go there! Wonderful post!!!

• June 13, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Many thanks, it’s a fab place to visit.

11. June 13, 2017 at 11:21 am

The pictures are beautiful! I loved your tips. You sound very lucky to have had your car with you this first go round!

• June 13, 2017 at 9:59 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed the posts, and yes it was great to have the car.

12. June 13, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Awesome tips in many travel situations. My husband and I recently took a leisurely trip up and down the east coast of the US. It really allow you the time to investigate new places.

• June 13, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Yes I’m sure they apply to most travel situations. Your trip sounds like fun too. I’ve not been to many places in US!

13. June 14, 2017 at 9:06 am

What a wonderful list! My husband would love to take this trip!

• June 14, 2017 at 9:07 am

Thanks Mandy, it’s a fantastic place to visit.

14. June 14, 2017 at 11:01 am

Looks beautiful. And I love the idea of needing a bag of basic snacks and supplies – it appears travelling Tasmania is a lot like going to the supermarket with toddlers! Always carry biscuits!

• June 14, 2017 at 11:20 am

That’s about it!! You made me laugh 😊

15. June 14, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Great tips Debbie! In regard to wifi LINC Tasmania (aka the libraries) have free wifi operating that stretches far and wide (there are libraries in just about every small town and hamlet as well as large urban areas). For example here in Deloraine you can sit on the balcony at two pubs and hook into our wifi. TasGov_Free operates out of Service Tasmania locations just about everywhere and most local councils have a hot spot too. I have noticed that Tasmania isn’t all that good at promoting this fabulous free service. LINC Tas’s wifi can be accessed for four hours every day.

Good suggestions with the layers and being prepared for every weather scenario all throughout the year. A pet hate of mine is seeing mainlanders and overseas tourists at places like Cradle Mountain without proper gear. Even on the loveliest of days a blizzard can set in.

So glad you enjoyed your trip to Tasmania, next time I hope I’m actually here and I can show you the beautiful Meander Valley.

• June 14, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for the WiFi tips Annie, I wish I’d known that beforehand! We did manage to get into the TASGov free spots at times which was good. You are right too,as we mentioned it a few times, Tasmania is very low key about certain things, it should be pushing itself more. We wouldn’t change a thing though about what we did, except to have had you there to show us your area. That’s on the list for next time! 🙂

16. June 15, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Love your fabulous Tassie tips Deb. That B&B in Stanley looks really gorgeous. I’m so pleased to hear that Tassie is plastic bag free. Some other states could take a leaf out of their book! 🙂 #TeamLovinLife

• June 18, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Many thanks, it was a fantastic place for so many reasons. The B&B was great. Yes we could all take a leaf out of their banning of plastic bags, hopefully soon!

17. June 15, 2017 at 8:22 pm

I agree with your travel tips on Tassie. We toured Tassie in late November and got caught out on the West Coast with freezing temperatures and even snow in the mountainous regions. We did not have enough warm clothing! My bathers were certainly not worn as the water temperatures were too cold for me! We toured around in a campervan and just winged it as well. It was a fabulous adventure and feeling of freedom. I love travelling this way. #TeamLovinLife

• June 18, 2017 at 4:46 pm

That’s great to hear Kathy! I didn’t even pack my swimmers this trip. The freedom to wing it is so appealing.

18. Jo
    June 16, 2017 at 8:39 am

Some great tips – I’ve passed this to a friend who’s tripping there in September. The phone & cash tips are particularly those things that you just take for granted on the mainland. #TeamLovinLife

• June 18, 2017 at 4:37 pm

That’s great to hear Jo, thanks for passing the post on. Hopefully they will help out.

19. June 16, 2017 at 4:18 pm

I’m with you on the thermos and snacks idea! We spent about 10 days driving around Tasmania in 2001, but would love to go back again.

• June 18, 2017 at 4:36 pm

Thanks for your comment Janet. I’m glad you have been to Tasmania too and enjoyed it, it really is a beautiful place. We will definitely go back again with thermos and snacks on board 😊

20. lsgaitan23
    June 17, 2017 at 6:58 am

Wow, gorgeous photos of an amazing place!

• June 18, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Thanks for commenting, it really is a beautiful place to visit.

21. June 18, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Great post and tips!! Loved the alliteration in the title. Very you. It’s like that regarding plastic bags over here as well. 5p for a plastic bag. Loved reading about your adventures in tassie.

• June 18, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Thank you for the lovely comment. I have a few more to finish off actually.

22. June 18, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Great tips Debbie. I was talking to my Australian friend (from Melbourne) about Tasmania & how since your posts I really want to go. She said if I visit we’ll take a little trip over to Tasmania! I need to make this happen now! X

23. June 20, 2017 at 5:49 am

Tasmania is a spectacular destination! I love your tips!

• June 20, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Thanks so much for your comment, I love to travel and Tasmania was spectacular.

24. June 29, 2017 at 12:34 am

Reblogged this on Cradle Coast Tours and commented:
    #Top10 Tips for Two weeks of Travelling in Tasmania

25. August 29, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Two weeks in Tansania look like a fairytale! Thanks a lot for the tips 🙂

• September 1, 2017 at 3:52 pm

My pleasure to share things I’ve picked up along the way.

26. August 30, 2017 at 12:31 am

Hi Debbie, I love the list of tips you give for this destination, and as practical as they are – they (some) can be used for most destinations. I enjoy how you incorporated your experience into your list, very nice!

• September 1, 2017 at 3:54 pm

You’re right they can relate to most trips! Glad you enjoyed it.

27. August 30, 2017 at 1:29 am

I’m planning on traveling there in December. I enjoyed your photos as well as the tips about packing for the weather. I can’t wait to visit.

28. August 30, 2017 at 5:15 am

such a lovely photos you have there, I love the presentation and the informations you shared to us. This is certainly worth it to visit. great post by the way!

• September 1, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Many thanks for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed it.

29. August 30, 2017 at 5:19 am

I have never been to Tasmania but I want to go soon, especially after reading this article! Also I loved the alliteration 😄

• September 1, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Thanks for the comment especially glad you appreciated the alliteration.

30. theglobeandthegirl
    August 30, 2017 at 8:21 am

Sounds like a very interesting place! I hadn’t really considered it before, but it definitely seems like a great location!

• September 1, 2017 at 3:57 pm

It is a great place to visit. Hope you get there one day.

31. August 30, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Great tips about the the wifi and cell service!! And I love the detailed packing list. I hate getting caught by surprise with weather!

• September 1, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I appreciate your comment and am glad you enjoyed the tips.

32. August 30, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Such an interesting article on Tasmania! I’ve never been but I’ve been to a lot of other Australian destinations. I love the little facts that you mention like Telstra being the only phone company that has service. I also love that they are cutting down on their plastic bag usage. A lot of big places around the world are doing that now and it’s so awesome to see! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• September 1, 2017 at 4:00 pm

So glad you enjoyed reading the post Courtney. I hope you get to visit one day.

33. August 30, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Great tips, we love Tassie too. Thanks for the reminder about cash I had forgotten that

• September 1, 2017 at 4:01 pm

I enjoyed sharing these tips and encourage everyone to visit one day.

34. August 30, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Great tips! Tasmania is definitely not a place i have thought of visiting before but now I am really interested!

35. August 30, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for the valuable tips while traveling to Tasmania. I think the most important point was the phone reception and that many networks do not work. It prepares the readers for the contingencies ahead!

36. August 30, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Amazing post, your tips are really amazing. I agree with you one shouldn’t rush, even a small place can have lot of things to do and see.

• September 1, 2017 at 8:14 am

Great to have your comment and visit. We all seem to rush around these days and need to slow down a bit!

37. August 30, 2017 at 10:49 pm

It’s amazing that I spent two years living and traveling Aus and I never got to explore Tasmania, I know from friends and other traveler just how amazing it is. This post makes me wish I got down there. Ahh well something for the time I come back 😀

38. August 31, 2017 at 4:25 am

These are all great tips. I especially liked the idea about taking it slow. That’s the best way to enjoy places. Hopefully I find myself in Tasmania somewhere near in the future. 🙂

• September 1, 2017 at 8:12 am

I hope you get to go one day. Slow travel is something we tend to overlook these days. Thanks for the visit.

39. aliciafowler
    August 31, 2017 at 5:18 am

These tips are incredibly helpful!! Especially the Telstra tip — wouldn’t have thought of that. And cash. I’m the worst at that. Thanks for writing it all down! It sounds like you had a wonderful two weeks.

• September 1, 2017 at 8:11 am

Glad you fond the tips helpful. It’s always fun to share travel stories!!

40. 5q
    August 31, 2017 at 6:47 am

So adventurous! Tasmania is on my list and it was very interesting for me to read this article. Thanks!

Liked by 2 people

41. August 31, 2017 at 8:27 am

Tasmania has never been on my radar as we are so far away in Vancouver, but now I think I’d love to go there! It looks like you had a great time and these tips will come in very handy someday.

Liked by 2 people

• September 1, 2017 at 8:10 am

Thanks for the comment Theresa, it is a long way from Vancouver!! I had a great trip and always happy to share travel tips.

42. August 31, 2017 at 9:50 am

You already had me at Tasmania! I’ve been dying to plan a trip there and now I have even more things to add to my itinerary! Awesome post!

Liked by 2 people

43. August 31, 2017 at 12:56 pm

This is such a lovely post! Very helpful information. The photos are super amazing!! I would love to discover the offbeat paths of Tasmania some day! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

44. digital travel guru
    September 1, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Thanks for sharing such detailed information, I would really love to visit Tasmania, the photographs show such beautiful scenery. Sounds like you had a wonderful adventure.

Liked by 2 people

45. September 2, 2017 at 2:50 am

Some fantastic tips, thanks for sharing! I have never visited Tasmania but would love to explore more! Your photos are awesome too!

46. September 2, 2017 at 10:28 am

Tasmania is new for me ! But its a perfect Guide ! I love reading your experince ! and following your journey

47. September 3, 2017 at 9:44 am

Don’t rush and get off the beaten path are such good pieces of advice. We’ve only been to Tasmania once, but we loved it and can’t wait to go back. Next time you go you should try eating at A Tiny Place and Small-fry. They’re two of our favorite grub spots in Hobart.

48. September 13, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Oo I think I might be going to Tasmania sometime soon! Thanks for sharing your advice and the photos! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

49. December 2, 2017 at 10:26 am

I LOVE the piece of advice: “Don’t rush”. Tasmania is beautiful and it has a lot to teach us about the rat race ; ) Lovely article, thank you Debbie.