How the transient nature of transport has turned

The transient nature of life, and in particular, transport, is in my thoughts at the moment.

TransientThis week’s photo challenge asks us to share a photo about transient – whether it be drifters, nomads, or even the state of impermanence.

I’ve targeted the state of impermanence with this week’s photo.

Disused railway corridor overgrown with trees near Tumbarumba wating to be turned into a rail trail for cyclists and walkers

Disused railway corridor overgrown with trees

You will see in this photo a railway line, overgrown with trees and not used for the past 40+ years or so.  I have been involved in a group in our town who have worked hard on a proposal to have this disused railway line transformed into a cycling and walking track – The Tumbarumba to Rosewood Rail Trail.  I have written in the past about my involvement in this project, my dismay at how long it’s been taking and the quest for a rail trail.

Once upon a time steam trains travelled this railway but no longer.  The land has always been public owned land but has been used and sometimes incorporated into people’s property.  It will now be reclaimed and made into a public shared pathway for use by cyclists, walkers, runners, pram pushers.  The transient nature of transport has moved on and we are moving with the times.

Well I can finally write that, as of yesterday, the required legislation was passed in NSW Parliament to officially close the railway line and the project can now be started.  The funding was given to the local council a few years ago and this last act of parliament was what was required to move things to the next level. Oh happy days 🙂

This area is a beautiful part of the world and the gentle gradient of the railway line will be perfect for all ages and fitness level to use.  It will bring tourists to our town and enable others to share in our fresh, crisp, healthy mountain air.  There are lots of reasons why a rail trail makes such good sense but the main one is that we get to protect the history of the line by keeping it alive rather than letting it become an overgrown track that everyone has forgotten or used by local landholders for their own needs to the exclusion of everyone else.

Disused railway corridor near Tumbarumba waiting to be made into a rail rail for cyclists and walkers

Disused railway corridor

Transient is a state of impermanence and unfortunately nothing in this world stays the same for too long.

I can’t wait!!

How the transient nature of transport has turned into a rail trail

Pin me

Deb xx

You can also find Deb’s World here – I’d be delighted if you’d join me.

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “How the transient nature of transport has turned

1. June 22, 2017 at 11:11 am

Great news Deb- I’m looking forward to riding this trail!

2. June 22, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Great news Deb. We have yet to check out a rail trail on our bikes, it’s on the plan. The white bark is stunning on those trees. Louise

• June 22, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Thanks Louise we are very happy with the news after sooo many years of working and fighting to get it happening. Hope you get out on a rail trail soon. By the way I love the white bark too!

3. June 22, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Well done Deb it looks a lovely part of the world and great for a trail run or just for exploring. I need to visit one day.

• June 22, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Yes it’s a beautiful part of the world Sue and you’re welcome at any time.

4. June 22, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Well done! It looks lovely and it will be so much nicer to be available for people to use than just fading away from neglect.

• June 26, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Thanks Faye, that’s very true! I can’t wait to get out for a ride.

5. June 22, 2017 at 10:25 pm

Impermanence. I love how nature has reclaimed the railroad and if left alone in another twenty or so years, you might not even know where it is So there is the impermanence there. But there is even impermanence as you reclaim the railroad back from nature.

6. Shirley Corder
    June 22, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Sounds wonderful. I look forward to more photographs as the project moves forward at last! Interview with a Protagonist and his author.

• June 26, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Thanks Shirley! I’ll be updating as we get on with it. Hopefully it won’t take too long.

7. June 23, 2017 at 3:57 am

So exciting that this rail trail is coming to life! Although we haven’t done a lot of rail trails I understand they really are helping to get more folks on two wheels who might not otherwise do so. The road can be intimidating. Wonderful to see and I look forward to future reports.

• June 26, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Thanks Sue, it’s been a long time coming but finally they are able to start construction!! I agree riding on roads can be so scary and it’s much more pleasant if there’s not that danger around. I’ll keep you updated!

8. June 30, 2017 at 4:09 pm

That’s really good news. Very well done to everyone who worked so hard and long to make this happen.

• July 2, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Annie, it will take a while to build but at least it’s on the drawing board now.