Delta – capturing a moment in time

Photography captures a moment in time

This photo represents a moment in time. As I flew up the coast, on the way to visit my parents, the views from my window seat were amazing.  Who I am, what I’m doing, what I’m thinking and where I fit in the world are encapsulated in the action of taking this photo but only what I see is available to you, the viewer.

Deltafor this week’s photo challenge, Erica V asks us to share a picture that symbolizes transitions, change, and the passing of time.

The Richmond River, as it spills out into the sea at Ballina, looks to me like a brown snake wending its way through the patchwork of rural fields.  The delta is very evident from this far above and, in this way, I have interpreted the prompt in a very literal way.

Delta meaning: a triangular tract of sediment deposited at the mouth of a river

Ballina from the plane window

Photography captures a moment in time; it captures a sliver of any given movement, not the entire motion itself. Only the photographer can see the whole picture…explore the ways in which a single photograph can express time, while only showing us a small portion of any given moment.

It’s also a photo that signifies transitions and change to me.

Life itself, as signified by the river, flows on.

I’d love to know what you think, leave me a comment below.

Deb xx

Weekly photo challenge post featuring the mouth of a river as taken from a plane for the theme of delta

Please Pin me

You can also find Deb’s World here – I’d be delighted if you’d join me.

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “Delta – capturing a moment in time

1. June 29, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Beautiful entry for this week’s challenge.

2. Donna
    June 29, 2017 at 12:39 pm

I, too, can see the brown snake and the patchwork fields! Great photograph, Debbie!

3. Aly
    June 29, 2017 at 2:24 pm

I love that you turned a literal meaning into a metaphor. Beautiful photo, I’ve never seen anything like this from a plane!

• July 2, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Thanks Aly! It was a beautiful clear day and I couldn’t resist taking the photo with my phone. It proved to very timely given the photo challenge this week.

4. June 29, 2017 at 6:22 pm

So vivid! I have had the good fortune of living in what they call the biggest delta, the Ganges Bramhaputra river area. Topography i very different there. I saw the saigon delta recently from a flight. Looks this beautiful. Envy the birds for they get a better view of the world, anyday!

• July 2, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Yes the birds are lucky to have such views everyday! What an interesting place to live!

5. June 29, 2017 at 10:33 pm

This is a wonderful photo and a great choice for this week’s challenge!

6. June 30, 2017 at 3:42 am

so much significance capture in one moment! 🙂

• July 2, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Yes Jodi, it’s good to break down our moments and see the whole picture sometimes.

7. June 30, 2017 at 5:05 pm

What a great aerial shot Deb and yes I see the brown snake. It is a beautiful part of the world though.

• July 2, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Yes Sue, it’s a beautiful area and so different to where I live. I think that makes it more special.

8. June 30, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Beautifut Image, I can see how you see it as change, transition, movement. thanks for sharing at the pit stop
    Pit Stop Crew!

• July 2, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Thanks Julie, I’m glad to be joining you at the Pit Stop Crew!

9. July 1, 2017 at 1:53 am

That’s such a great capture, Deb! I love airplane shots!

10. July 4, 2017 at 11:57 pm

That’s a wonderful photo. So much to explore and think about.

11. July 9, 2017 at 11:47 pm

Interesting to see the Richmond River from the air for the first time. Have driven over it many times.
    Your story reminds me very much of a post I wrote about Tasmania’s Meander River https://beyondtheflow.wordpress.com/2017/04/16/m-meander-river-tasmania/. The bends on that are something else. BTW Deloraine is on the Meander.
    xx Rowena
    PS I don’t usually attach so many links when I read someone else’s blog but I there’s quite a synergy.