52 weeks – a photography project

52 weeks equals a year!

I have joined with 5 (much more talented than me) photographers to take a photo every week for a year, one theme at a time.

Each week we are given a new theme and must take a photo, add some words and submit it to Tim, who will compile a post at 52 Weeks Photography Group, before giving letting us know our next theme…and so on for 52 weeks!

This is the first time I’ve been involved in this project but most of the others are on their second time.  At the end of the previous project they produced a beautiful coffee table book with all the photos and words included from their weekly submissions.  It’s a magnificent record of a year in photos.

Self Portrait was our first theme, really as a way of an introduction and this was quite challenging for me. These are the words I used to describe my photo:

This self portrait is a statement. As I only use my phone I didn’t want to just produce a standard ‘selfie’ so I have used an editing app to give it some interest and a pop of colour. I have been reading a lot of Over 50 blogs lately and they all mention wisdom, experience, fashion, style and how not to become invisible as you age. This photo therefore is my take on being over 50, being a bit colourful, a bit trendy and features my trademark ‘Debbie’ smile. I’m definitely not intending to become invisible as I age. I’m happy with myself just as I am.

Self Portrait week in 52 week photo challenge

Self Portrait

I was unsure of how I would fit in but I was assured the group was all about creativity, ‘making’ images not just ‘taking’ them.  Experimenting and learning along the way is encouraged. I like taking creative shots and enjoy participating in many of the WordPress Weekly Photo challenges and I love Instagram, so I’m now feeling a bit better about it, especially with week one under my belt.

The About page shows more of the group’s experiences.  I encourage you to go and look at the post for Week 1 and see how the others interpreted the theme and read their comments.  They are a very talented bunch!

I’m now thinking of how to interpret the next theme!

It’s great to be involved in such a creative challenge with a small supportive group.

Wish me luck!!

You can also follow Deb’s World here if you feel so inclined!

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “52 weeks – a photography project

1. July 17, 2017 at 8:14 pm

You’re off to a great start Deb! And not sure about the “much more talented” comment – we’re all in it to learn and have fun. 🙂

• July 19, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Thanks Tim, I’m learning to think things through a bit more already!!

2. July 17, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Sounds like a fun project.

3. July 17, 2017 at 10:36 pm

This is a lovely self portrait! Really creative. Looking forward to your weekly interpretation.

• July 19, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Thanks so much! I enjoyed working through my thoughts in how I wanted to portray myself so I’m glad others can see it too.

4. July 17, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Great first image, Deb! Don’t be daunted by other work out there. I love that you recognised the flaw in using a phone-camera, i.e. a Portrait is most likely to turn into a selfie, and therefore opted to do something different with it. The splash of colour really does bring something different to the piece, and, as someone who doesn’t know you, I can tell you it reflects you as being colourful and jubilant; the look you we’re hopefully going for!

Keep going! You’re off to a good start and you’ll be amazed at how much constant practice makes a difference. You’ll be a different photographer by the end of the 52 weeks 🙂

• July 19, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Many thanks for your kind words and the encouragement. I’m glad you can see what I was getting at and trying to do with my first image. I’m into colour and my favourite is orange so it worked out well. I’m hoping to improve and see things differently by the end of the 52 weeks.

• July 19, 2017 at 8:53 pm

No problem! I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of your work as it happens 🙂

5. July 18, 2017 at 12:12 am

I do wish you luck, I am doing 52 Words in 52 Weeks. Very similar, we have a Prompt and write our story in 52words no more no less. I really like yourselfie. 💜💗

6. July 18, 2017 at 12:28 am

Nice match of picture and words!

7. July 18, 2017 at 8:09 am

I love your selfie; very creative and a great start to the project!

• July 19, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Thanks very much Su, it was fun but a bit nerve wracking, I’m in very good company with the project and the pressure was on to start with!!

8. Donna
    July 18, 2017 at 9:59 am

Wow! I love your self-portrait, Debbie. You are a very talented photographer!

9. gouparchery
    July 18, 2017 at 12:03 pm

wow , i very like this post

10. July 18, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I like it!

11. July 19, 2017 at 6:05 pm

What a great challenge – I’m looking forward to seeing your journey on this. Your self portrait and the words you’ve put with it are fantastic. 😊

• July 19, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Thanks for your comment, it’s great to be involved and I’m glad you liked my post 😊

12. July 25, 2017 at 6:37 am

This sounds like a great challenge. You’ll really grow as a photographer. I like the editing you did to make your self-portrait more interesting. Thank you for linking up at The Blogger’s Pit Stop. I’m sharing your link on social media.
    Carol (“Mimi”) from Home with Mimi

• July 26, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Thanks for sharing Mimi, I do appreciate your comments on my post too. It will be a great project I’m sure, as well as fun!

13. September 3, 2017 at 8:11 pm

This was fascinating and I’ve now followed the group page, Thanks so much for sharing! 🙂