It’s nice, it’s different, it’s unusual

It’s nice, it’s different, it’s unusual

I’ve been a fan of Lignum Draco and his amazing photographs for quite some time now and this week he asks us to experiment with something unusual.

This photo is unusual for me in a few ways.

1.  I rarely photographs people, and if I do, I rarely share them, unless it’s my family! I took this photo of a little friend sharing a milkshake with her grandmother just last week.  The look of concentration, with her eyes focused so seriously on her grandmother, captured my attention.  I did get their permission to take the pic.
  2. I rarely use apps to edit my photos, (apart from Instagram) but have made an exception with this photo.  I used the Pixlr app on my iPhone to convert this photo to a black and white picture.  I think it turns it into something like a pencil sketch, an effect I quite like. What do you think of the result?
  3. I don’t do a lot of black and white photos either, so it’s always good to change direction every now and again.

Unusual photo of a child made into a sketch

Having said all that above I have to admit to using this same app, just last week for another challenge I’m undertaking. I edited this self portrait (the theme for the first week of the project) to make it look less like a selfie and to add a bit of interest. It’s also black and white!  This photo was unusual for me as I rarely take ‘selfies’. The post can be seen here: 52 week photo challenge

Self Portrait week in 52 week photo challenge

Self Portrait

Being unusual is actually a good feeling!

In relation to the Kath and Kim’s quote used above – It’s nice, it’s different, it’s unusual – you have to understand the Australian sense of humour from this satirical comedy classic!  It just seemed right to use it for this post 🙂

I like the unusual, do you?  Let me know what you think, I’m always interested in hearing from you.

Deb xx

You can also find Deb’s World here – I’d be delighted if you’d join me.

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “It’s nice, it’s different, it’s unusual

1. July 20, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Love the photo of the girl and her Nana. Highlights how much children mimic us adults and especially those that are close to them. Totally dislike Kath and Kim, highlighted with that awful accent they use, cringe material 🙂

• July 20, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Thanks for your comment Suz! I agree it is amazing how much children copy adults, and she was so serious about sharing the milkshake, it was uncanny watching her. I thought the quote suited the post quite well – cringe-worthy indeed but they do make me laugh (and cringe)!

2. July 20, 2017 at 8:31 pm

I’m a huge Kath & Kym fan so yes ‘noice’. I wish I could get into photography Debbie I just don’t feel creative enough but I enjoy yours.

Liked by 2 people

• July 20, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Thanks so much Sue, I enjoy the creativity side of it. Good for the brain I’m hoping. Very noice!!

3. July 20, 2017 at 8:41 pm

“Being unusual is a good feeling.” 🙂 Thanks for joining in.

• July 20, 2017 at 8:43 pm

My pleasure to be involved. I always enjoy your hosting the weekly photo challenges too 😊

4. July 20, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Love the grandma and child one! It’s moody. It’s full of innocence and potential and the thrill of a moment shared. And trust. There’s ever so much trust in those young eyes and in that expression. Well done.

• July 20, 2017 at 11:15 pm

That’s a great comment and exactly what I was hoping to capture. Thanks very much for seeing it too and leaving me a comment 😊

• July 20, 2017 at 11:20 pm

One of the volunteering things I did in the past was take photos for the social media of a farmers’ market. I always looked for shots like this one. What you’ve captured here is a beautiful, rare, intimate moment. It’s very special.

5. Donna
    July 21, 2017 at 12:28 am

I, too, love the quirky and unusual. I am glad that you experimented with your photographs. They came out great!

6. July 21, 2017 at 4:57 am

such a sweet endearing photo!!!

7. July 21, 2017 at 7:15 am

Absolutely loved these shots Deb and I low exactly what you mean about the Kath and Kim humor. Totally daggy but makes me laugh. Great to read one of your posts again, I’ve missed them. xo 🙂

• July 21, 2017 at 7:22 am

Lovely to have your comment pop up in my notifications, I’ve missed you!! Thanks for reading and leaving me a comment. I’m enjoying your trip through your Facebook photos, looks amazing!! Enjoy xx

• July 21, 2017 at 7:35 am

Thanks so much Debbie. I woke up this morning here in Bowen and had a sudden urge to read WP. Glad your post popped up. Two more weeks … yes, I’ll definitely keep enjoying. Big hug xo

8. July 21, 2017 at 9:42 am

I really like the edit you did on this. It emphasizes the little girl’s face, especially her eyes. So full of concentration!

9. July 21, 2017 at 2:08 pm

I miss Kath and Kim! They were so funny (apart from the bits where they played shop assistants. Maybe you had to be Australian to get that.)

10. July 25, 2017 at 6:34 am

I like the special effects that you achieved on these two photos. The look on the little girl’s face is priceless. I think she’s just learning to drink from a straw and fascinated that her grandmother is doing it, too. ha-ha. Thank you for linking up at The Blogger’s Pit Stop. I’m sharing your link on social media.
    Carol (“Mimi”) from Home with Mimi

• July 26, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Yes I agree with your thoughts in the photo of the little girl, she was fascinated by it all.

11. Jodie
    July 26, 2017 at 11:40 pm

I have found it’s so fun to change up the photos when you have the time!! I love what you did!!

12. July 27, 2017 at 12:42 am

I was quite taken by the concept of the Australian sense of humor, which I now want to know more about!

• July 27, 2017 at 8:37 pm

It’s a bit ‘off’ Carol, but we know how to laugh at ourselves.

13. July 27, 2017 at 1:45 am

I love the photo of the girl & her nan – I like black/white look with certain photos. Not so keen on the spot colour photo though (sorry!). If I use an app for my iPhone photos I love using snapseed – it’s brilliant & comes highly recommended by me 😊

• July 27, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Thanks for your honest comment Linda, I appreciate it!!

14. July 27, 2017 at 4:37 am

I love both photos. The first because the granddaughter is so intent that you wonder what she’s thinking. Is she watching what Grandma is doing in an attempt to copy or is she thinking that Grandma is drinking too much? And the picture of you? Well, because it’s you!