I CAN do this!

Running has been a part of my life for quite a while now.  I’ve written quite a few posts about it over the years and here comes another one!!

I’m not fast, I’m not stylish, I tend to run a bit heavy, I’m sometimes happy when it’s over and I’m no longer what you’d call a youngster. I still can’t run 5km under 30 mins despite trying for the past few years. If you’ve read some of my previous posts this will all sound a bit familiar. At least I’m consistent!!

But having said all that, I can say that I am committed, I try hard, I’m enthusiastic, I compete only against myself and I know I CAN do this. I also know I need to have more belief in myself. I try not to compare myself against others but it is a bit hard at times.

In a recent post, Remind me again why I am doing this, I questioned why I ran, what I got out of it and was it worth the effort?? I even answered my own questions!! In that post I also mentioned that I had registered for the 5km Run Melbourne on 30 July.

Last year I ran in the event for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it, the crowd, the atmosphere and the fact that I was running again, despite some difficulties in the previous few months. The year before I was ready to run but a family tragedy happened instead. I ended up running the event with my daughter, just a long way from Melbourne.

Well this week I received my race ‘bib’ and was shocked to see I was entered in the 6km run. This was in a week where the weather had been decidedly wet and miserable, I hadn’t been out running for days and I wasn’t feeling any confidence in my own abilities. I took to Facebook (as you do in these circumstances) bemoaning the fact that I hadn’t been training and, when I had run, I had thought I was training for a 5km run and not 6km!  Lots of my friends obviously believe in me and made supportive comments and encouraged me to just do my best. Some just told me to get out there and put one foot after the other and what’s another kilometre after running 5 anyway?? Good point, but one only someone who doesn’t run would make!

I’m pleased to say that this week I have had some spectacular training runs.  I’ve enjoyed the warmer weather, as we are away from my usual ‘altitude’ training environment for a few days and I’ve run better than I have in quite a while. I feel confident and happy with myself. I also feel proud of my efforts.  I’m no spring chicken but I’m getting out there, pushing myself and running rings around those who are still sitting on the couch thinking about it!!

I’m not fazed by the 6km distance any longer, I know I can run most of the way and the adrenaline will push me a bit faster on the day.  And if I don’t do well what’s the worst that can happen – I’ll feel disappointed but it won’t stop me from trying again next year.  I’m excited to maybe meet some of my online blogger running buddies and Running Divas as well. I usually run alone in the forest so always feel a bit excited when running with others, it’s a real buzz!!

So next Sunday it will all be over and I’ll be feeling proud of myself regardless of the result.  Wish me luck!!

I CAN do this!!

Deb 😊

You can also find Deb’s World here – I’d be delighted if you’d join me.

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “I CAN do this!

1. July 23, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Debs, of course, you can do it.!!! Makes me want to go back to doing half marathons, no not really 🙂

• July 23, 2017 at 7:13 pm

I’ll never get to do a half marathon!! But I’m so impressed with you 😊

• July 23, 2017 at 7:28 pm

You could do it, just getting yourself to think that you can. The physical ability bit comes next with training. It used to amaze me if I started off on a training day saying to myself I will do such and such kms, I could never do more or less. Mind over matter 🙂 It’s very addictive competing in races!

2. July 23, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Good Luck Deb. Lorelle X

3. July 23, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Good luck Deb…what’s another km? 😉

4. July 23, 2017 at 8:02 pm

You absolutely CAN do this!

(And that extra kilometre does make a psychological difference by the way.)

5. July 23, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Altitude training ? Enjoy the run Deb that’s the most important thing and don’t push yourself to injury, if you are struggling with the last K. Remember you have a wedding to get to and dance the night away at. Hopefully the weather will be kinder than it has the weekend. Good luck. Louise

• July 23, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Yes altitude training at home!! We are quite high so I’m claiming it 😊 thanks for the good advice I will try to stay within my limits as you’ve raised some good points about the upcoming wedding. We’ve also got a two week walk in the desert to do beforehand too.

6. July 23, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Wow, that’s inspiring Deb, I always have the intention to take up running (quasi fast walking!) and never quite get there. Must try to be more proactive! Good luck. 🙂

7. July 23, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Yay! Keep on keeping on, Deb. You know you can do it, and so you shall.

8. July 23, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Yay, go girl! You can achieve anything you desire if you feel it in your heart and soul. I stopped running after my illness but would love to start up again – slowly! You’ve inspired me to dig out my trainers and get outside x

• July 26, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Good for you Shelley, hope you are feeling good. I’ll be running for you out there!!

9. July 23, 2017 at 10:03 pm

You can so do this. Enjoy and love the feeling when you cross the finish line. Worth it.

• July 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm

I’m sure I will enjoy the feeling once I’ve finished and caught my breath. Thanks for the good wishes.

10. July 23, 2017 at 11:51 pm

And all that we choose to do, probably all we need to ask ourselves is can I say: “I am committed, I try hard, I’m enthusiastic, I compete only against myself and I know I CAN do this.”

11. angelanoelauthor
    July 24, 2017 at 12:44 am

As a fellow runner, I KNOW you can do this. Injuries abound in my running life, and yet I always want to get back out there. I’m inspired by your attitude and your accomplishments. Run. Run. Run. (Then celebrate how awesome you are. :))

• July 26, 2017 at 10:03 pm

How can I not feel awesome after your great comment Angela, thanks very much. 😊

12. July 24, 2017 at 1:10 am

You CAN do 6K, Deb! I just ran 5.5K this morning as part of my weekly run, and have done several 5K races before where at the end I felt I could do more. When you start having self-doubts, re-focus on your breathing, enjoy the fact that you’re running, and tell yourself you can do it, one step at a time. Just to cheer you on, I marked down in my calendar to do a 6K run on July 30! It’s summer in Toronto so if it’s humid that day, I’ll do 6K in an air-con gym…It will be 6K nevertheless 🙂

• July 26, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Oh that’s so lovely of you Natalie!! Your suggestions are just what I need to do to focus. I did 5.6km the other day and felt good so I should be fine. I look forward to hearing how you go. Thanks again lovely!!

13. July 24, 2017 at 3:16 am

I hear you! Love running too. I’m molasses slow, but I still make it to the finish line.

And yes YOU can do this!

14. July 24, 2017 at 3:19 am

Good Luck Debbie, you Sure Can Do the 6k. You are an inspiration!

• July 26, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for your lovely comment, it sure does help to have great support!!

15. josypheen
    July 24, 2017 at 4:25 am

Good luck! I am sure you can do it!! 😀

16. July 24, 2017 at 1:38 pm

You got this!!! Good luck anyway.

17. July 24, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Good luck! Hope it goes well for you.

18. July 24, 2017 at 10:52 pm

You’ve got this! If you’ve done lots of 5kms then race energy will push you through on the day. Good luck and I look forward to the race report 😉

• July 26, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Thanks Faye, I’m sure you’re right about the race energy on the day. It should be a lot of fun. I’ll be sure to do a race recap afterwards!!

19. Donna
    July 25, 2017 at 2:20 am

You DEFINITELY CAN Do it, Deb! Good luck!

20. July 25, 2017 at 4:43 am

Wishing you wings. Good luck. 😊

21. July 25, 2017 at 7:14 pm

I love your runner-tude Debbie. It has to be fun or why do it…. have fun running and I hope we can catch up!

• July 26, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Thanks to you Annie, I haven’t given up just yet!! I so hope we can get to meet up on Sunday 🙂

22. July 26, 2017 at 11:20 am

I have every faith in you Deb. I’m so happy to find someone else who blogs and gives running a go. You know I’m a runner well I run let’s put it that way. Started at 50 and will celebrate my 60th next month with a 34km run with my Saturday Sisters. You are getting out there and giving it a go so well done!!

• July 26, 2017 at 3:11 pm

You are amazing Sue, how can you even think about running 34 kms, especially when I’m whinging and whining about running a paltry 6kms?? Thanks for your support, it’s so good to have you as someone I can look up to.

• July 26, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Well I give it a go Deb. I won’t ever be in front of the pack but I do love a challenge and just because I’m almost 60 doesn’t mean I can’t try. I’m so proud of your efforts and have shared your post on #couchpotatotofabfit FB group. You’ve got this.

• July 26, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Thanks for the share and ongoing support Sue, it’s much appreciated.

23. leannelc
    July 26, 2017 at 4:45 pm

You’ll be great – I’m jealous of anyone who runs – I’m so useless at it and hate the whole process. 6kms is an amazing effort and you’ll be so chuffed when you’re finished! Enjoy your buzz 🙂

24. July 26, 2017 at 11:11 pm

I have such an interesting relationship with running. I do not hate it but I do not love it either. But I have always wanted to run a marathon. Good luck.

25. July 27, 2017 at 6:46 am

Hi Debbie – you’ve got this and I’m so pleased you shared with us at #overthemoon. Inspirational! Have a great run x

• July 27, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Hi Deb just wanted to let you know I have chosen your post as my Favourite Pick for this week’s Over the Moon. Congratulations and you go girl!

• July 27, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Many thanks Sue. I’ll let you know how I get on.