An Aussie outback adventure #1

Welcome to Iga Warta

A superb sunrise greeted us on Day 1 of our walking tour in the Aussie outback.

Sunrise at Iga Warta

Sunrise at Iga Warta

We arrived in Iga Warta late in the afternoon after driving over 400 kms from the verdant Clare Valley.  As we drove further north, into the Flinders Ranges, the vegetation slowly changed from vineyards, green pastures and pretty towns to tougher, hardier, browner but just as beautiful landscapes.  The red soil, the rocks and the dull green scrubby vegetation has a beauty all its own.  I have never been to this area before and I am in awe of the huge skies, the ancient rocks, the rugged mountains, the classic Australian landscapes and gorgeous colours.

Heading off road to Iga Warta

Heading off road

Iga Warta means Native Orange in the local Aboriginal dialect of the Adnyamathanha people.  Iga Warta is a cultural tourism centre that is welcoming, authentic and informative. It’s run by members of the Coulthard family and we were lucky to get involved in a two week walking tour of along the Frome River.

We were made welcome at Iga Warta, an Aboriginal community and settled into our rustic, but cosy, cabin. The quiet of the surroundings, the lack of phone reception and the isolation felt awesome. Despite no phone reception they do have wifi for their guests and we all made use of it to let family know of our arrival. I am enjoying my time of ‘disconnect’ but am also missing it, if that make sense.

Day 1 of the first week of our walking adventure involved breakfast on the vernadah, making up lunch to take with us and ensuring we had enough water for the day as the temperatures were set to soar to the mid to high 20s, remembering we are used to single digit temps at home. We are a small group of 5 walkers with Sharpie our guide and his dog Spotsworth

We were driven through the Angepena Homestead property to Crump’s bore and we walked towards the head of the river along the dry river bed.  The trees were amazing and the landscape absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed our meandering walk.  We then returned to the bore for a packed lunch and started walking back towards the Mudlepena Spring.  We ended up walking a total of 15+ kms in ideal conditions. Some of the trees are over 900 years old!!

Dinner was served as a communal meal and we enjoyed listening to stories from the guides and locals. We slept extremely well in our cosy cabin!

Here are a few of my favourite photos from day one of our adventure.

The history, stories and landscape will see our great adventure continue for the next two weeks. I hope you enjoy the experience too. It’s a beautiful country and we feel so priveleged to be able to see it through the local’s eyes.

Our family motto is To travel is to Live and we love an adventure. How about you, are you up for an adventure?

Stay tuned for more updates!!

Deb

You can also find Deb’s World here – I’d be delighted if you’d join me.

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

Aussie outback adventure in Flinder's Ranges, South Australia

Aussie outback adventure

One thought on “An Aussie outback adventure #1

1. August 16, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Wow! Debbie this looks amazing!!!

• August 16, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Thanks Ritu, it is amazing and awesome. We’re so lucky to have this opportunity to learn about another culture this way.

2. August 16, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I love this part of the world too Deb. As a South Aussie I’m a bit biased. Sounds interesting what you are doing and am looking forward to reading more.

• August 16, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Thanks Louise, it’s such a beautiful part of the world I don’t wonder that you’re biased!! It’s a very interesting adventure and we’re enjoying it immensely so far. Something different to what we’ve done in the past but very interesting and the people here are amazing.

3. August 16, 2017 at 6:48 pm

What an absolute privilege for you to be spending time with the local community and as an ‘adopted’ South Australian I am a tiny bit jealous! I look forward to following your adventures 😊

• August 19, 2017 at 8:53 am

Thanks for your great comment! I’m absolutely loving South Australia and this adventure.

4. August 16, 2017 at 8:48 pm

That’s a true Aussie outback alright! Never been to South Australia….I love the colours in that sunset Deb. X

5. leannelc
    August 16, 2017 at 11:05 pm

It’s very “iconic” Australia isn’t it Deb? It really has the outback look and feel to it. Quite an adventure by the sound of things 🙂

• August 19, 2017 at 8:52 am

Thanks Leanne, it’s a real iconic adventure and I’m loving it.

6. August 17, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Awesome, so pleased you are enjoying your adventure. Miss your interaction 🙂 Continue having fun.

7. August 18, 2017 at 2:49 pm

What a wonderful experience Deb. I know all too well how intoxicating those big skies,red earth and sense of isolation is. Enjoy it all my friend. 🙂

• August 19, 2017 at 8:51 am

I know you understand the feeling Miriam, it is intoxicating. A great word to describe it all. X

8. August 19, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Wow! This looks like so much fun, Debbie. Enjoy your adventure!
    I love the rugged landscape. Must look so lovely at sunrise and sunset!

• August 28, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Yes the evening light has been spectacular and the rugged landscape is just beautiful. Thanks!

9. August 20, 2017 at 7:04 am

Oh I’d love to visit this area Deb and it is definitely on my list. For now I will live my dream through your posts. Have a wonderful time.

10. August 21, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Beautiful scenery, what an adventure!

• August 28, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Ruth, such a great adventure. We’ve finished our two weeks of walking and now on our way home.