A silent sentinel of the past

A structure with a beauty of its very own….
Windmill in the outback

Past its used by date

These structures were to be seen everywhere on our recent trip to the Flinders Ranges in South Australia.  This windmill was abandoned but once upon a time it was a vibrant, useful and necessary structure in the outback, providing a valuable water source to a dry, arid land.

I love that although only one panel is still holding on, and it could be overlooked as a broken down relic of the past, it still has a certain allure and stature.

Weekly Photo Challenge – Structure

Deb xx

You can also find Deb’s World here – I’d be delighted if you’d join me.

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “A silent sentinel of the past

1. September 1, 2017 at 11:13 am

And now we have expensive ways using other sources of power to draw water – it seems our forebears were onto something here with their efforts to use wind power! I wonder if people stopped using these because some consider them ugly and a blight on the landscape!?!?

• September 1, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Very good points! A lot of them these days have solar panels attached which run them which I found so interesting and unexpected.

2. September 1, 2017 at 12:52 pm

I love these windmills, and even though I am sure they are found all over the world, to me they scream Outback Australia. We saw them in Central Australia and of course on our trip to Broken Hill and Mungo. Such a lovely image for this week’s challenge

• September 1, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Thanks very much Julz! I wasn’t sure whether it would fit the theme but I love the whole outback imagery. It was also broken down and overlooked by many. I really appreciate your comment.

3. Shibin Dinesh
    September 1, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Great photo! Nice choice for the challenge!

4. September 6, 2017 at 8:12 pm

That is a lovely photo, Debbie, there is something about windmills that are a picture of strength and endurance, especially in a harsh landscape.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Kathleen
    Blogger’s Pit Stop

• September 7, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for your comment Kathleen, they really are a picture of strength.