That feeling of déjà vu

It hit me as I walked down the steps and across the tarmac.

That feeling of déjà vu.

I started remembering all the times I’d arrived at this same airport, in my eyes it hasn’t changed much over the past 40 or so years. I can’t even begin to add up the number of times I’ve flown in or out of this place.

One of my earliest memories of flying was with my younger sister and brother as unaccompanied minors.  We were sent to stay with our grandparents for the school holidays which to us was like winning the lottery. In those days people dressed up to go flying, and we were no exception.  I remember rocking a particularly bright yellow, mini dress outfit – I thought I was the bee’s knees – well it was yellow!

I remember other trips, the blue hair ribbons in our ponytails, the matching outfits my mother made for my sister and I, the heat, the sunshine, the beaches, the river, the picnics, the family stories, being recognised as belonging to our family due to our looks as we walked down the street.  It was a small town where everyone knew your family and who belonged to who.  We belonged to our family and we were happy with that.

Siblings

Three cuties

The time spent with our grandparents was fun; waiting on the corner of the street for Pop to come home from work each day; helping Nan cook; taking morning tea on the verandah with lots of visitors dropping in; playing under the house; watching Pop work in his workshop with his gem stones; the pain of having our hair washed and towel dried by Nan; walking by ourselves to the pool; milkshakes in the local cafe…

This town is also my place of birth.  I have been coming here, on and off, for well over 50 years and it holds many special memories. The pool, the river, the floods, the cane fields, the very special Mt Warning presiding over the town, as well as the family connections. Birthdays, celebrations, funerals, family holidays…

My parents moved back here in 2000 and so the visits continued.  My grandparents passed away, my uncle, aunts and cousins moved away, my father moved to a care facility in another town and suffers from Parkinson’s Disease – now my mother is the last one of the family left living here. Even more reason to come and visit.

So many memories flash by when I look through the photos, the book shelves, the paintings, the collections and the house itself.  I love nothing more than discovering old photos and hearing the stories that go with them.  Laughing at outdated hairdos, outfits, facial expressions and poses. Sighing at all the lost relatives who have been a part of my life.

Reminiscing and finding my parents smiling up at me from before I was even born – such a wonderful gift!

Parents

Mum and Dad

It all started with a feeling of déjà vu and quickly moved onto nostalgia, for the past, for my family and even for my younger self to some extent. How free I was as a child, no expectations, no pressures, just fun times – looking back through rose tinted glasses do you think?

That feeling of déjà vu

That feeling of déjà vu

I’m up here again at the moment staying with mum, visiting dad and remembering days gone by, when things were very different. Walking off the plane the other day really started me thinking, it’s funny how random moments can have that effect on you isn’t it?

Thanks for joining me in my reflections. Life passes by so quickly these days, it’s important to not just count the days, but to make the days count.

Debbie 🙂

You can also find Deb’s World in these places:

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “That feeling of déjà vu

1. September 15, 2017 at 11:42 pm

Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories through the photos. And … it’s so true about “it’s important to not just count the days, but to make the days count”!

• September 16, 2017 at 10:51 am

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed my post, thanks for visiting and leaving me a comment. We all need to remember that quote!!

2. Donna
    September 16, 2017 at 2:52 am

I agree — such beautiful memories! Thank you so much for sharing these!

• September 16, 2017 at 10:49 am

Thanks Donna, it is great wandering down memory lane.

3. September 16, 2017 at 3:02 am

Wonderful post, Deb. Cute kid photo 🙂 Time does go by too fast!!!

• September 16, 2017 at 10:48 am

Thanks Suz, I’m feeling nostalgic for some reason and wanted to write it all down. We were seriously cute kids!! I agree with you, time goes by far too fast.

4. September 16, 2017 at 4:23 am

What wonderful memories!

• September 16, 2017 at 10:47 am

It’s always lovely to go down memory lane when I’m up here with mum and this time it really hit me! Thanks for reading and commenting Cindy, I appreciate it.

5. September 16, 2017 at 5:44 am

Great post Deb. I remember that towel drying from Nan like it was yesterday!! Remember playing knuckles with actual knuckles that Pop made for us (not the plastic ones from a shop) and the old black car under the house and the wringer and funny clothes line and Nan chopping wood for the stove? Ah, now I’m wandering down memory lane!

• September 16, 2017 at 10:46 am

I know you understand what I’m trying to say and I’m happy to hear your memories too. It always hits me when I’m up here for some reason. Thanks for the comment and yes we were the cutest little kids!!

6. September 16, 2017 at 5:56 am

Awesome. My first flight too, with my little sister and the youngest, my brother. Loved the photo, it matches so much with the one of we three dressed nicely! Yes, random thoughts, places can have that nostalgic effect on us. Becomes hard to believe that it passed.. 🙂

• September 16, 2017 at 10:45 am

I’m so glad you can relate to what I’m thinking! How funny about families having similar photos in their collections. I sometimes can’t believe all those years have gone either. Thanks for your visit 😊

7. September 16, 2017 at 8:02 am

Oh Deb, this was so very poignant. I remember those feelings so well as I travelled home when my mom was still living … a time when the past and the present collided. All I can suggest to you is that you savour these moments. The nostalgia is very special.

• September 16, 2017 at 10:43 am

Thanks for you comment Joanne, it’s just like that when the past and the present collide. It’s always nice to reminisce and I’m savouring the moments, don’t worry!!

8. September 16, 2017 at 9:56 am

❤️

9. September 16, 2017 at 7:32 pm

I think it’s wonderful that you have that one place you’ve been going to all your life.
    I don’t have a place like that myself.
    How lucky were you to be able to fly from such a young age too.
    It was nice reading about your memories of visiting that one town.

• September 17, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Thanks for your comment Hazel! I’m very fortunate to have this place and family to share it with.

10. September 16, 2017 at 7:40 pm

I liked you post so much. Thanks for sharing your memory with us.
    🙂

11. September 16, 2017 at 7:41 pm

I often long for past times with family. Now that my parents are gone, it is so sad to have fewer family gatherings. I’m clinging to the older relatives I have left for their stories and link to the past. I hope I can create the same kind of happy times for my grandchildren that I had with my parents and grandparents.

• September 17, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Yes I’m hoping the same Molly, except I don’t have any grandchildren yet. I enjoy the special times.

12. September 16, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Thank you for sharing such wonderful memories with us Debbie! Loved your photos too!

• September 17, 2017 at 9:10 pm

My pleasure Ritu, thanks for your lovely comment.

13. September 16, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Such nice memories, Deb, wonderful post. And yes, I agree – it is important to make every day count!

• September 21, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Thanks Tom, I think it’s something we all need to remember more often, we seem to take it all for granted at times.

14. September 16, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Gorgeous pictures x I love nostalgia posts.

15. September 17, 2017 at 7:39 am

Love that picture of you and Aunty Sharon and Uncle Waz. So cute and we all look so similar. Hope your having a good time with G&G. So nice hearing of your memories there as they are reminiscent of our childhood and actually university memories as well.

• September 17, 2017 at 8:31 am

I’m glad you can relate to my memories too. It’s a special place to all of us. You are right, we all look very similar – just means the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

16. September 17, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Great memories, Deb. I love looking at old photos and asking questions. We need to do it before it becomes too late. I’ve heard the saying ‘Never look back, always look forward’, but looking back can bring back so many happy memories. I do a lot.

• September 21, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Thanks Hugh, I love looking back at these old photos and it’s so important to do so while we can get the stories. I had a lovely week with my mum:)

17. leannelc
    September 18, 2017 at 9:52 am

Loved this post Deb – I always enjoy looking back at childhood photos – we were all so young and sweet! I’m actually doing a few “way back when” posts next month and have been having a blast from the past putting them together.

• September 18, 2017 at 10:09 am

Thanks Leanne, it’s so much fun looking back at them and reminiscing. I like your ideas of a series of ‘way back then’ posts and look forward to reading them 😊 I can imagine the fun you’re having writing them. Thanks for visiting and leaving me a comment, I always love hearing from you.

18. Jodie
    September 18, 2017 at 11:44 pm

I absolutely love these old photos, Debbie!!
    XOXO

• September 21, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Thanks Jodie, they are just the tip of the iceberg!

19. September 19, 2017 at 1:03 am

It is so funny how a feeling, a taste or a smell can bring back such wonderful memories.

• September 21, 2017 at 10:09 pm

You are so right! I had this overwhelming feeling of deja vu and enjoyed looking back and remembering all those visits.

20. September 19, 2017 at 6:45 am

Wow. My parents were also married a long time. My Dad passed from Parkinson’s disease. Funny, how people’s stories can be similar. I also had the same happy childhood like you. How lucky we were.

• September 21, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I’m sorry to hear of your dad’s passing and his PD. It is funny how we can have similar experiences on different sides of the world! We were very lucky indeed Laurie 🙂

21. September 19, 2017 at 8:37 am

Oh my–my sister & I had matching outfits, too! I love a sweet trip down memory lane.

• September 21, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Yes I do too, it was a lovely week with my mother and think my visit helped her a little in her unenviable situation.

22. lsgaitan23
    September 19, 2017 at 8:42 am

I relate so strongly to this piece, Deb. Those feelings of nostalgia really sideline me sometimes! Lovely memories and I love the photo of your parents.

• September 21, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for understanding my moments of nostalgia. My parents were a gorgeous looking couple and it’s hard reconciling how my dad in particular is today.

23. September 19, 2017 at 9:51 am

How lovely. My family have all moved away from where I grew up now, so I rarely get to go back and feel that nostalgia.

• September 21, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Thanks for your lovely comment, i enjoy tripping down memory lane!

24. September 19, 2017 at 11:20 am

Such happy memories Deb. It’s nice to look back. Thanks for sharing them with us. x

• September 21, 2017 at 10:05 pm

It’s so nice to go through these memories Miriam, I’m happy to share them 🙂

25. September 20, 2017 at 7:24 am

Gorgeous memories Deb and what a wonderful childhood and family life you have had. My grandparents had passed away before I was born, the same for my children except my Mum who only lived until Rachel was 4. I used to dream about visiting grandparents for holidays or spending time with them. Now I am a Nan I am making up for lost time with Ethan my grandson and hopefully creating memories with him. A beautiful post and loved the photos. xx

• September 21, 2017 at 10:04 pm

I am very lucky Sue and understand not everyone had special times with their grandparents. I love that you are being a great Nan to Ethan and making special memories with him.

26. September 20, 2017 at 9:10 am

Your parents were so cute when they were younger. Do I detect a bit of your mom in your smile?

• September 21, 2017 at 10:03 pm

I like to think so Jennifer, although our colouring is different there are some small similarities Thanks for pointing the likeness out, as I think my mum is beautiful and can only hope some of it will rub off on me one day 🙂

27. September 21, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Thanks for linking up and sharing with us at #overthemoon link party, Debbie. We always love reading your posts.

28. September 24, 2017 at 11:36 pm

I like the idea of making the days count. Enjoyed reading about your memories.