52 week photography project – Week 13: Self Portrait #2

Source: Week 13: Self portrait #2

Week  13 of our 52 week photography project had the theme of Self PortraitWe apparently will do a self portrait every few weeks and I’ve been assured it doesn’t have to be an actual selfie, but a photo that says and shows something of ourselves. Our first week was also a self portrait so it will be interesting to see how we evolve during the year.

So here’s my self portrait – I am relaxing in Fiji the day before my daughter’s wedding!!

Mother of the Bride take 2

Mother of the Bride take 2

My accompanying words: This says it all at this moment in time. A sun lounge, a pool, the family together and some warm sunshine, makes for a happy MOB (Mother of the Bride) on the day before the wedding.

This week’s photos were very classy – Alison was being all happy and domestic and doing the ironing; Daniel was looking all gritty and dark after a horrendous sounding workout session; I was all sunshine and love from Fiji; Grant was happy snapping selfies at our daughter’s wedding reception in Fiji; Melanie captured a brilliant brooding shot of herself watching the sunset in Fiji with great use of technology; Sharon was all about representation and provided us with some insights into her true self in her studio shot self portrait and Tim was channeling the phoenix, in a very profound shot.

You really will have to go and see them for yourself! They’re all so good 🙂 Here’s the link again: Self Portraits #2

********

What’s the story behind the 52 week photography project I hear you ask?

I have joined with 6 photographers, of varying experience, to take a photo every week for a year, one theme at a time. That’s 52 weeks of photos!

It’s turned into a bit of a family affair actually with my sister Sharon, who takes amazing photos of flowers among other things; my brother-in-law Tim, who takes gorgeous shots of everything; my nephew Daniel; a talented photographer; my husband Grant who started photography back in the old days of film and DIY developing and processing; my daughter Melanie, who is a travel blogger and photographer; as well as Alison, a close friend of my sister’s who is an experienced wedding photographer. You can read more about us all here on the About page.  I especially enjoy the regular contact it gives us all too and the connections we make each week.

I’ve been assured it’s all about creativity, not necessarily photographic expertise. I am enjoying the challenge of looking for suitable shots as soon as the next week’s theme is announced, it takes over my thinking until I’ve taken my shot and sent it in. Then I can relax a bit!  It’s also fun wondering what the others will come up with, you just never know what you’re going to get!

Each week for 52 weeks…

Each week we are given a new theme and must take a photo, add some words and submit it to Tim who will compile a post on Sunday night.  He then tells us our next theme…and so on for 52 weeks! We all enjoy a bit of a comment session after the post goes live which is always fun.

I like to do a wrap-up post each week linking back to the 52 Week project blog’s page and these are my posts so far:

Week 12: The Kitchen

Week 11: Black and White

Week 10: Photographer’s Choice

Week 9: The letter D

Week 8: Old fashioned/Vintage

Week 7: Lollies/sweets/candy

Week 6: The natural world

Week 5 – Up Close

Week 4 – Long Distance

Week 3 – Transport

Week 2 themeWinter

Week 1 theme – Self Portrait

self portrait for 52 weeks photography project

self portrait #2

It’s great to be involved in such a creative challenge with a small supportive group.  I’d love to hear your thoughts on our various takes on any of these themes.  Be sure to click on the link to check out the full post over on the blog 52 Weeks Photography Group.

Happy photographing! Let me know what you think of our photos this week, as always I appreciate your thoughts.

You can also find Deb’s World here – come join me.

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “52 week photography project – Week 13: Self Portrait #2

1. October 14, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Love the photo and the idea of the 52 Weeks of Photographs – and the pic of The Kitchen is fab.

• October 14, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Thanks very much, it’s a fun project which gets my brain thinking.

2. October 14, 2017 at 8:47 pm

You look really relaxed – just as Mother of the Bride should be! I think hobbies are so much more fun when you’re involved in a group who share challenges like this!

• October 14, 2017 at 8:51 pm

I was soooo relaxed and you’re right, the project is fun because of the others involved. Thanks for reading!

3. October 14, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Full wedding photo post, please. Ha! xox

4. October 14, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Lovely image for the project. I immediately felt the heat and smell of the sea!

• October 14, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I just wish I was still there, it was so warm and nice and relaxing…thanks for reading and leaving me a comment 🙂

5. October 14, 2017 at 9:23 pm

What a fantastic challenge for budding photographers!!!

6. October 14, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Debbie, I’m happy to learn about your talented photographic family. I also participate in photo challenge by WordPress ..once a week! keeps your creative juices rolling!

7. October 15, 2017 at 12:49 am

Aah great photo! It really captured the “day before”. And how lovely- Fiji! One of my best friends lives there, so it’s my dream to visit her one day.

8. cherylking55
    October 15, 2017 at 12:56 am

What a good idea, keep any photographer motivated. Going to follow you to see what you come up with each week.

9. October 15, 2017 at 7:10 am

Looks like you had a very fun and relaxing time Deb, good to see a happy mother of the bride 🙂

10. October 15, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Debbie, what I most love about this project is that it feels like creativity helps to strengthen the relationships but also helps to know more about each other. I love the idea. And how fortunate that you all love photography.
    Way to go.

• October 15, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for that insightful comment Lucile – you are so right about it strengthening relationships as well as being creative.

11. leannelc
    October 15, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Loved your photo Deb – and the whole MOB vibe you have going on there! I bet you’re having an absolute blast 🙂

• October 15, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Leanne. It’s all over now and I’m suffering withdrawals so I wrote a wrap up post tonight to relive the memories.