How Fiji got under my skin

Having just returned home from a week in Fiji for our youngest daughter’s glowing wedding, I didn’t realise how much Fiji had got under my skin.

Afternoon glow, after the wedding, taking in the view at Outrigger Resort Fiji

Afternoon glow in Fiji

I find I am missing a lot of things:

1. I miss our family being together – we just enjoy ourselves so much when we are together and we glow with happiness 🙂

2. I miss the palm trees gently swaying in the wind, especially in the glow of the sky at sunset.

Sun is down in Fiji 6.11pm

3. I miss the friendly people greeting us with huge smiles and saying BULA at every opportunity!  The just seem to glow!

4. I miss the crystal clear water and snorkelling every morning and the glow it gave my day.

Snorkeling selfie while in Fiji for a destination wedding

Snorkelling selfie

5. I miss the cocktails at Happy Hour with the family. Those cocktails were very colourful with their cute little umbrellas, pineapple pieces and red cherries.

6. I miss having new adventures, discovering places and things to do – see how I’m glowing when I find my namesake is a transport company!

Deb's is a star in Fiji too!

My namesake – Deb’s is a star in Fiji too!

7. I miss the Bula man at the front of the resort who is employed to simply shout BULA to everyone who passes through the gate.  You can’t help but smile when you hear him.

8. I miss the warm, sunny, simple days of being on holiday in paradise.  That sunshine and water!

Paradise in Fiji at Outrigger Resort

9. I miss hanging out at the adults only pool – such a cool place and just for the big kids!

Adults only pool area with swim up bar at Outrigger Resort Fiji

10. I miss having all my meals cooked for me and no cleaning up to be done afterwards.

11. I miss being special to the locals, we were really warmly welcomed into their country. Such amazing genuine, happy people.

Happy smiles at Outrigger Resort Fiji

Glowing smiles

12. I miss having multiple photos taken with my family every day!

13. I miss talking wedding plans, it’s all over now! Look at that glowing bride and bridesmaid 🙂

Glowing Bride and Bridesmaid at Outrigger Resort Fiji

Glowing Bride and Bridesmaid

Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.

In all my travels it’s not often that I’m emotional at leaving a country but this was the case with Fiji.  Maybe it was because of the family connection, which when I come to think of it was the case in my other emotional instances, but I think it’s also because of a special something that got under my skin with Fiji.

I’m telling myself not to be sad that it’s over but to smile because it happened. I know we are so lucky to have had this glorious time together and I fully understand my feelings of post-holiday blues.  They will pass.

I had to smile because my daughter Melanie (blogger at The Wandering Darlings) used this very same quote in her post about her busy month.  The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!

It was a glowing holiday in all senses of the word – scenery, smiles, service, family time, location and resort – plus a glowing bride.  What more could you ask for?

Have you ever had a similar reaction when something – a place, a photo, a memory, a holiday, a person, an adventure – gets under your skin? Let me know.

How Fiji got under my skin, a glowing holiday in more ways than one at Outrigger Resort for weekly photo challenge

How Fiji got under my skin

In case you’re wondering, this week’s photo challenge asked for something that glows but I couldn’t just stick with one image – hence my glowing post. “In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary.” Aaron Rose

You can also find Deb’s World here – come join me.

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “How Fiji got under my skin

1. October 21, 2017 at 9:15 am

Marvelous…!

Liked by 2 people

2. josypheen
    October 21, 2017 at 9:31 am

I know the feeling. I always felt like Nara (in Western Japan) is my second hometown. I am always really sad to leave as that city (and the area around it with mountains!) really gets under my skin.

You were planning this trip for such a long time, I am reeeeally glad that you loved this holiday.

Congratulations on being an awesome MOTB. 😉

3. October 21, 2017 at 9:36 am

Beautiful

4. October 21, 2017 at 9:53 am

after both of my son’s wedding, there was a bit of sadness and let down…. kinda like the day after Christmas. After so much planning and excitement, it is over in a blink. But a new stage of life begins, and it becomes wonderful too. I’m sure it was even more of a “letdown” after being together at this beautiful destination. Life is good!!!

• October 21, 2017 at 12:24 pm

You’re exactly right Jodi with your comment about the let down but again it’s a new phase of life starting. I understand the feeling now and thanks for sharing your similar experience as well. I wholeheartedly agree life is very good!! Thanks for stopping by.

5. October 21, 2017 at 11:29 am

It looks like a wonderful place. I hope I get the chance to go someday. I can see why you miss it so much.

• October 21, 2017 at 12:21 pm

What an amazing place Phil, I hope you get there one day!! Glad my reasons for missing it are clear enough in my post. 😊

6. October 21, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Deb we so loved Fiji as well. Your photos make me yearn for the people and their beautiful land. So happy the wedding was a fabulous family time.

• October 22, 2017 at 8:26 am

I’m glad you understand Sue! What a lovely people they are and the wedding was stunning. We will definitely go back one day.

• October 22, 2017 at 3:45 pm

So wonderful to hear. We arrived just two weeks after a cyclone and despite the personal losses of so many we were made to feel so welcome.

• October 22, 2017 at 6:33 pm

I remember that Sue and your thoughts at that awful time. They are just such lovely people.

7. October 21, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Love the underwater shot, lots of fun 🙂

8. October 21, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Sounds like a perfect time and place and with everyone so happy that inner glow can’t help but show.

• October 22, 2017 at 8:28 am

You’re quite right Irene, the inner glow had no choice but to glow brightly the whole time. Thanks for dropping by 😊

9. October 21, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Aw Deb, you make me want to pack my bags and head to Fiji. What a perfect post for the theme. Loved it! 🌴💖

10. October 21, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Great themed post Deb. I can totally understand how you miss all these wonderful things so much. 🙂

• October 22, 2017 at 8:25 am

Thanks for getting what I was trying to say!! I loved the opportunity to join in the theme of the weekly photo challenge this way.

11. October 22, 2017 at 12:34 am

First, I did not know that Melanie is your daughter! (Or if I did, it still delighted me as if it was a surprise) Second, I know how you feel. We had a family wedding in Mexico and there was so much to love about the experience it still feels like I left a piece of myself there. Even though a return to the same resort, even with the exact same people, wouldn’t recreate the magic of he original, I’d still love to give it a try. I’m so glad you found such a profound connection there- it looks beautiful and filled with goodness.

• October 22, 2017 at 12:51 am

Yes it’s amazing the people still don’t realise we are mother/daughter bloggers. I’m glad you’re delighted by it!! Thanks for understanding my feelings on the issue, it was just such fun I didn’t want it to end.

12. October 22, 2017 at 1:09 am

It was a very special occasion, with very special people, in a location that sounds simply amazing. Of course you miss it … and the memories will always fill you with happiness 💕

I love the selfie while snorkelling! 😃

• October 22, 2017 at 8:24 am

I loved the snorkelling shot too Joanne, it was fun!! Your comment sums it up very well and I’ll always be filled with happiness when I think of it. Thanks for understanding!!

13. October 22, 2017 at 1:33 am

Well, I can truly say I can see why you have a connection here. Awesome scenery, brilliant way of life and just an awesome looking place. I will wager the immortal words of a certain Terminator are appropriate…”I’ll be back” yes?

• October 22, 2017 at 8:23 am

I’m glad you can see what I’m talking about through my post and pictures. Thanks Gary for ‘getting’ it. Yes we will definitely be back!!

• October 22, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Back? I’d be struggling to leave again! Compared to life here, it looks to much more relaxed. Mind you with scenery like that, how can it not be. Oooh, just think, next time your photography skills will be uber impressive and you will be able to really show off lol

14. October 22, 2017 at 1:46 am

I think I’m like you Debs, when a place has a link with my family it becomes that ‘glowing’ memory! Finland, when we went for my brothers wedding, with an abundance of our family, and then two years ago when we went again to surprise my Pops for his 70th, has made it a place I feel a pull to go back to!

• October 22, 2017 at 8:22 am

I loved your post about your trip to Finland and yes it’s that whole connection on so many levels that pulls us back.

15. October 22, 2017 at 3:59 am

Beautiful post about Fiji and your experiences…..great to know of the happy feeling on visiting such a wonderful place….:)

• October 22, 2017 at 8:21 am

I appreciate your comment and understanding my experiences in Fiji. It is indeed a wonderful place.

16. October 22, 2017 at 4:16 am

Congratulations again on your daughter’s marriage!

17. October 22, 2017 at 4:38 am

This looks like an awesome trip and your pictures are wonderful. I’ll have to put Fiji on my bucket list! 🙂

• October 22, 2017 at 8:19 am

Thanks for your kind thoughts Lisa, it was an amazing trip! Yes you must add Fiji to your bucket list 😊

18. October 22, 2017 at 8:06 am

Quite compelling reasons to like Fiji! And a bit of wisdom: Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.

• October 22, 2017 at 8:18 am

Yes I’m compelled to go back one day!! I have to try to be wise otherwise I’d be too depressed because it’s all over now 😊 thanks for the visit.

19. October 22, 2017 at 8:22 am

What an amazing experience Deb. I felt that way about my first cruise (which incidentally went to Fiji). You just don’t want it to end!

• October 22, 2017 at 8:29 am

Never ending – what a great thought Desley. I’m glad you experienced that feeling too.

20. October 24, 2017 at 3:45 am

It looks as if you had a perfectly wonderful time.

• October 24, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Thanks for commenting, and yes it was just about perfect!

21. October 30, 2017 at 3:34 pm

I am thrilled to hear that you had such an awesome time in Fiji. It is nice to leave a place hoping to come back, such a great feeling.

Kathleen

• November 1, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Thanks Kathleen, you always know it’s been a special holiday when you know you want to go back straight away.

22. October 31, 2017 at 9:45 pm

What a wonderful time you all had! I love the quote “In the right light,at the right time everything is extraordinary” .. I am still looking for the wedding photos,tho😊

• October 31, 2017 at 9:50 pm

We had a great time! That quote is great isn’t it? Some wedding pics can be seen in a recent post – Thoughts of a destination wedding by the MOB.

23. November 6, 2017 at 9:18 am

Bula, How did I miss this post! We are just so similar. Time to go back yet??

• November 6, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Yes time to go back indeed!! Let me know when you’re packed and ready 😊😊 and I’ll meet you there.