How to transform from ugly to amazing

It doesn’t take much to transform an ugly wharf shed into something amazing. It just takes a bit of paint, some creativity and maybe be some talent too.

Take this shed on the wharf at Ahuriri in Napier,  it’s one of many in the area transformed into bright and fabulous artworks – on doors, walls – anywhere with enough space. It tells a great story.

Inspired by this week’s Weekly Photo Challenge theme of transform, I thought I’d share this wonderful piece of art. If you’d like to see more photos of other interpretations click the link.

As we’ve wandered around New Zealand’s North Island over the past few weeks, we’ve noticed many artworks and sculptures in public places. It’s been a delight to see them as they show a pride in the country and it’s artistic people.

An ugly shed transformed into an amazing work of art. Just one of many.

I did some research on the artist Carly Ealey and found this was one was of three murals she painted in 2016 in Ahuriri along the quay in Napier New Zealand

Sea Walls | New Zealand
Pangeaseed’s Sea Walls: Murals for Oceans

On March 11-20, 2016, 30 renowned contemporary artists from across the world beautified Napier, New Zealand’s streetscape, and highlight marine environmental issues relevant to the local community and beyond.

About this mural in her words:

Dangerous Balance
A portrait of a woman in gradient colors of cool to warm symbolize the warming climate. An upside down jellyfish floats along her backside demonstrating a dangerous balance.

Freehand aerosol on historic wood shed door
On side of Mexi Mama 58 W Quay, Ahuriri, Napier 4110

I really enjoyed finding these murals scattered around the quay – it was an area that had also been transformed from an industrial fishing, wharf area into a trendy place with pubs and eateries scattered around overlooking the beautiful waterfront.

Transformation is change in motion and we all need to transform from time to time.

It’s been great to share this with you 😊

Deb xx

You can also find Deb’s World here – I’d be delighted if you’d join me.

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “How to transform from ugly to amazing

1. josypheen
    November 23, 2017 at 8:45 am

I love the colours!

Even if you didn’t have enough talent to make such a gorgeous mural, painting it bright and pretty already transforms it a bit!!

• November 23, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Thanks Josy I agree with you. The colours are great aren’t they?

• josypheen
        November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am

Yes! Bright and welcoming colours. 🙂

2. leannelc
    November 23, 2017 at 7:02 pm

gorgeous mural and I love your take on the challenge and on how it flows into our life view 🙂

• November 23, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Thanks Leanne, so pleased you can see what I was getting at!! I love the mural too.

3. November 24, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Amazing how a bit of vision, color and creativity can transform a place so ordinary into something so beautiful.

4. November 25, 2017 at 4:45 am

Love this – I have already been on to Carly’s website and my daughter is now following her instagram. We are always on the look out for new art names so thanks for sharing Debs! #BloggersPitstop

• November 25, 2017 at 7:01 am

Hi Claire! That’s great to hear you’ve already looked Carly up, she’s very talented and these artworks brighten an industrial area as well as telling a good story.

5. November 26, 2017 at 6:49 am

Works of art can appear in the most unlikely of places. Thanks for sharing! Stopping by from the Pitstop

6. November 27, 2017 at 1:28 am

The mural was really eye catching and the interpretation was the icing on the cake. Loved your post!

• November 27, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Thanks very much for your comment. It was such a surprise to find the murals that I couldn’t help but take a photo and share her work.

7. November 28, 2017 at 3:56 am

I would love to see these sheds. this one in particular looks astounding. As if one has walked into an art gallery. I adore when creative minds can transform an area that may have been seen as an eyesore to one that attracts people. We have such an area inn Calgary that has had an astonishing makeover called East Village. I used to ride my bike there only in the brightest and busiest of times. Now it is a destinations for tourists and locals alike.