Wordless Wednesday: My review of Orakei Korako

Wordless Wednesday

This week I’m taking you to Orakei Korako, a geothermal attraction on New Zealand’s North Island near Lake Taupo. I hope you enjoy my photos of this amazing area. It left me speechless!

But Debbie, it’s supposed to be Wordless!

Yes, I know it’s supposed to be wordless but I just can’t do that, especially today with these gorgeous photos!

You might ask why I often use so many words in my Wordless Wednesday (Worth a Word Wednesday) posts – well there’s a good reason.

The photos I feature often have left me speechless at the time of taking them but when I come to share them in a post I feel I have to offer some explanation of where they were taken and sometimes how they made me feel.  In this instance I’d like to promote this beautiful place and my photos do that on one level but I also need words to tell you about my experiences.

My review of Orakei Korako:

This centre was recommended to us by a local and we’re so glad we visited. The view on arrival at Orakei Korako set the scene for a delightful few hours. The views across the lake to the steaming park were just a perfect setting.

The quick ferry trip was well coordinated and within minutes we were snapping photos of the silica terraces with the most amazing colours. It was an easy walk along well constructed boardwalks with information boards strategically placed with just enough detail. There was also information about the local vegetation along the way. We spent just over 2 hours wandering around before heading back for a picnic lunch.

We enjoyed the quiet pace, the lack of noisy crowds and the natural wonders on display. Although there were a lot of people wandering around it didn’t appear too busy due to the nature of the area. It was really well done.

It was my first time to such an area and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We thought the entry price was reasonable.

A description from their website:

Welcome to Orakei Korako – The Hidden Valley!

Come and explore a volcanic world of gushing geysers, hot springs, bubbling mud pools and some of the largest and most amazing silica terraces in the world.

Wander through the Hidden Valley and visit the thermal Ruatapu Cave which extends more than 36m down into volcanic tuff to the ‘Waiwhakaata’ or ‘Pool of Mirrors’ hot pool at the bottom.

Orakei Korako boasts the most active geysers of any geothermal park in New Zealand.  Up to 23 active natural geysers play freely through the area, which is constantly changing. Marvel at the number of boiling hot springs and the vibrant colours all around you, or take a native bushwalk through this untouched geothermal paradise. The Lonely Planet Guide describes Orakei Korako as “…arguably the best thermal area left in New Zealand”.

Somewhat ‘off the beaten track’, the Hidden Valley lies nestled in the Taupo Volcanic Zone between Taupo and Rotorua. Orakei Korako is a mere 25 minute drive from Taupo and 45 from Rotorua, and not far from State Highway 1 and State Highway 5.

What are all the beautiful colours? I asked the same questions – Visit here for more geothermal information:

The naturally fault-stepped silica terraces that form the base of Orakei-Korako Geyserland and Thermal Park are believed to be the largest of their kind since the destruction of the famous Pink and White Terraces in 1886 on the edge of Lake Rotomahana beneath Mount Tarawera.

The jade green ‘Emerald Terrace’ is the lowest of these, and up to 20 million litres of silica enriched water can flow over the terrace into Lake Ohakuri each day.  The three terraces above the Emerald were formed by a huge earthquake in 131AD.  These fault scarps (steps) are topped with black, green and yellow algae – which grows in temperatures between 35 – 49 degrees Celsius.

The Rainbow and Cascade terraces are graced with several small geysers, including the intermittently active Sapphire Geyser.

The Golden Fleece Terrace is the third and largest fault scarp in the Hidden Valley, at 40m long and 5m high. Covered in a stunning white sinter coating, its Maori name is ‘Te Kapua’ – “The Cloud”.

I would highly recommend a visit if you are in the Lake Taupo area – it was absolutely amazing and not too smelly, unlike Rotorua!

I also call these posts Worth a Word Wednesday because I can’t follow the rules of being totally wordless – as is very evident by all the words above! Can you relate to this as well?

I love it when people leave me a comment, so feel free to do so and if you’ve been to a geothermal area, I’d love to hear of your experiences!

Enjoy your Wednesday wherever you are in the world. I’m now home from our travels and enjoying that feeling of being in my own space, you can’t beat that feeling can you?

Debbie 🙂

Feel free to pin this post for later:

A review of Orakei Korako in New Zealand - a geothermal wonderland

You can also find Deb’s World in these places:

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “Wordless Wednesday: My review of Orakei Korako

1. November 29, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Lovely shots, and I’m glad you enjoyed your visit to Orakei Korako. I haven’t been there since I was a kid; must be time for another visit. 😃

• November 29, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Thanks Su, it really was great to see it. It’s probably hasn’t changed that much over he years but well worth another visit. I enjoyed our 3 weeks in the North Island and plan to write a few more posts over coming weeks.

• November 29, 2017 at 8:06 pm

We intended to go last year, but it was a short trip to Rotorua, so went to the Wingspan Birds of Prey Trust instead. Next time definitely though 😃

2. November 29, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Deb I think you could talk under water. I don’t think you would ever be speechless. BUT I agree with you nature sure has put on a show here.You will definitely a go -to blog for when I plan a trip to NZ eventually. Louise x

• November 30, 2017 at 8:40 am

You are right Louise, I could probably talk under water 🙂 but I can be rendered speechless at times and this was one of them! I’ll be writing a few posts about our trip when I can find some time, I’m happy to give you some tips when you plan your trip to NZ.

3. November 30, 2017 at 9:00 am

The colours look surreal as if they might have been formed in outer space. Will definitely keep this on our must see list from r that bucket list trip.

4. November 30, 2017 at 11:18 am

I do have a giggle at your Wordless Wednesday posts…the name not the content. Great photos and a great description. I haven’t been to this bit of geothermal activity but with two trips planned to NZ next year it might have to go on the travel plans.

• November 30, 2017 at 11:21 am

One day I’ll surprise you all with NO words and you’ll wonder what’s wrong with me!! Glad it appeals to you, I’d highly recommend a visit.

5. December 1, 2017 at 11:28 pm

Haha… So much for “wordless” post 🙂 I am glad I am reading the info though. I’m adding this to my bucket list. I have learned that there’s blue lava volcano in my own backyard (Kawah Ijen, Indonesia). It’s good to know that there’s gold lava volcano in this world. New Zealand is not too far away from here either. One day…

6. December 2, 2017 at 4:04 am

SO interesting! The colours are something I’ve never seen before! Thanks for sharing! #bloggerspitstop

7. December 3, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Absolutely stunning pictures. Well, they left me so speechless that I went back 3 times to look at the pictures. Sorry, the words kind of blurred 😛

8. December 3, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Oh, I love how you couldn’t stay wordless!!! I’d love to check out these geothermal wonders one day. 😉

• December 3, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Oh thanks so much Lorelle, I laugh at myself every time I try to stay Wordless. I really loved this place. It wasn’t too busy or overly commercial. You really should see it one day. 😊

9. December 3, 2017 at 9:58 pm

I can see why this area would leave you speechless, I can also see why you’d want to write about it Deb. It’s absolutely spectacular.

10. December 4, 2017 at 12:14 am

I can totally understand you. New Zealand left me speechless too!! I have only been for 10 days and need to go back for sure.

11. December 4, 2017 at 12:58 am

Absolutely stunning!

12. December 4, 2017 at 2:44 am

Love these photos! You’ve got a good eye!

13. December 4, 2017 at 4:04 am

I love your commitment to “wordless” Wednesdays! Great photos.

14. December 4, 2017 at 5:16 am

Beautiful Debbie!

15. www.retirementreflections.com
    December 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm

I can understand why Orakei Korako left you speechless. Your photos are incredible!