The Serenity of a Sunset

Travelling can be stressful at times and this was one of those days.

But watching this sunset over the estuary at Maketu, on New Zealand’s North Island, all the stress of the day disappeared.

Sunset at Maketu, New Zealand
Sunset at Maketu, New Zealand

After a long deep breath, all was right with our world.

Sunset at Maketu, New Zealand
Sunset at Maketu, New Zealand

Now, that’s what I call serene!

How to find some serenity and calm in your day?

On my Apple watch I have a free app that pops up regularly, called Breathe – funnily enough it’s all about breathing.

Once it’s activated it says in a message on the watch face – Be still and bring your attention to your breath, now inhale and exhale.

You can use the Breathe app to help relax and focus on your breathing. The Breathe app then guides you through a series of deep breaths, and it reminds you to take time to breathe every day. You can open the app at any time, but it will automatically prompt you to begin a focused breathing session every five hours.

You breathe in when it expands and breathe out when it contracts. … Fortunately, the watch also gives you a series of gentle haptic taps on the wrist to let you know when to breathe in. It’s quite compelling and very easy to use.

Some people get sick of it but every now and again I enjoy the opportunity to stop and just take some deep breaths. Apparently there are lots of similar apps available out there but this is the only one I have used.

Take a deep breath

Take a deep breath and leave me a comment below 🙂

Wishing you some calmness and quiet time among the busy fun filled days ahead.

Deb xx

Deep breaths

Linking up to Min’s Zen Tip Tuesday

Visit Deb’s World’s Instagram for photo updates

You can also find Deb’s World here – stay in touch by clicking any of these buttons.

TwitterInstagramPinterestFacebook,  Flipboard and Mix

You can Contact me here

One thought on “The Serenity of a Sunset

1. November 30, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Wonderful choice of photos for this topic! I also chose a sunset photot this week…

2. November 30, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Being amongst trees – tall ones – in the bush makes me feel serene and calm.

Tim and I spent a few days at Springbook in the Gold Coast hinterland a few years ago, and the feeling of peace that flooded over me as we walked along the track to the ‘Best of All Lookout’ was amazing. It felt like all the stress that was in my body just washed away. Fabulous! I can highly recommend it.

Great sunset photos Deb – the colours are gorgeous!

• November 30, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Thanks for answering my question Sharon, I’m always pleased to hear your thoughts. I can just imagine the feeling of serenity amongst the tall trees! I felt something similar while watching this sunset, especially after a stressful day! I appreciate your comments on my photos too 🙂

3. November 30, 2017 at 8:07 pm

I can always find time for a good sunset. What else? A field of nodding sunflowers!

• November 30, 2017 at 10:08 pm

I love sunflowers too Andrew, thanks for stopping by!

4. November 30, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Gorgeous…very Turneresque

5. December 1, 2017 at 3:11 am

These are stunning photographs. 🌼

• December 1, 2017 at 6:46 am

Many thanks for your comment. I can feel the peace again just by looking at these photos, it was a real gem of a place we were staying and the sunsets were the icing on the cake.

6. leannelc
    December 1, 2017 at 3:31 pm

I love sunsets (I see more of them than sunrises!) I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to sunsets over the ocean because they are the best! Loved your pics 🙂

• December 1, 2017 at 3:41 pm

They certainly are pretty amazing and never the same one twice! I like the idea of a whole Pinterest board dedicated to just sunsets too. Thanks for stopping by Leanne 🙂

7. December 1, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Beautiful photos – thanks for sharing!

• December 1, 2017 at 7:10 pm

My pleasure, I love sunsets and the peace they exude.

8. December 2, 2017 at 4:04 am

I adore sunsets… the peace that they make you feel is out of this world! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos! #bloggerspitstop

9. December 2, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Utterly beautiful — and perfect for the challenge Debbie. I’m impressed you got to Maketu. It’s a place I really love, but hardly anyone I know has ever been there.

10. December 3, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Debbie, the three of your photos above are beautiful sunsets. I too love sunsets, as you say each one is different. The Master artist gives us this gift most evenings, like you mentioned it is serene and calming.
    Kathleen

11. December 3, 2017 at 10:01 pm

So beautiful and serene, I felt calmer just looking at your pics Deb.

12. www.retirementreflections.com
    December 4, 2017 at 1:37 pm

I agree that deep breaths, sunrises and sunsets can be very calming. Also warm baths, yoga, hot herbal tea, fireplaces, candles, soft music…….

13. December 4, 2017 at 4:05 pm

So very true and beautiful.

14. January 30, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Stunning Sunset, thanks for sharing it! 🙂

15. March 16, 2018 at 5:27 am

Sunsets provoke feelings 🙂

16. Min Write of the Middle
    April 10, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Those sunset pictures are gorgeous Deb!! Wow! I think I want an Apple Watch now too. It’s a very good thing to be reminded to ‘breathe’. Thanks so much for linking up with #ZTT xo

• April 12, 2019 at 10:17 pm

My pleasure to linkup Min, I appreciate your comment 🙂

17. April 10, 2019 at 1:51 pm

Hi Deb there is something so special about a sunset. The end of the day when you can take time to reflect and give thanks. Breathing apps are a great idea and I do believe in the benefits of the breath when you are feeling anxious our stressed. Gorgeous photos, as usua. #ZTT

• April 12, 2019 at 10:20 pm

Many thanks Sue, taking time out to stop and notice a sunset or take deep breaths is very important in this busy life.

18. April 10, 2019 at 3:40 pm

I love capturing a sunset too. I find it so intriguing just how fast that sun disappears as I shoot, shoot, shoot with the camera. On my only OS holiday I found it so novel that the sun set over the ocean at Waikiki. Being an Eastern Coast of Australia girl, I have only ever seen sun rise over the ocean!

Denyse x

• April 10, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Thanks Denyse, I find it intriguing to watch the sunset too and love being in different places and watching it disappear from different directions. That’s a claim to fame , only seeing the sun rise over the ocean!!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )