I’ve read 40+ books in 2017!

I’ve just been updating my Books Page and am pleased to see I have managed to read 43 books so far this year. I’m still reading a few but will have them finished by the end of the month.

Here’s my complete list of what I’ve read:  Books in 2017

I set myself a challenge of reading 45 books in the Goodreads Challenge, so considering the amount of travel I’ve done this year, I’m very happy with the result! It’s also been my first year of retirement and I thought I’d get time to read more books than normal but it seems I’m keeping too busy.

Once I’m involved in a book I get completely engrossed and surface only when I’m forced to. I can read anywhere – in bed, outside in the garden, in the hammock but not usually in the car, as I tend to get a bit of motion sickness.

I’ve read a mix of book types – on my kindle, real books and I’ve started listening to some audio books while I’ve been out walking or driving long distances on my own. I enjoy them too but find i need to be doing something, like walking or ironing,  while I’m being read to , I’m not sure why that is!!

It seems like I’m fairly consistent from year to year, reading approximately 40 books a year.

I will read just about anything as you will see by my list, from fantasy, science fiction, classics, young adult, crime, dystopian and contemporary literature.

I must say I really enjoyed 1984 which I couldn’t believe I hadn’t read before. It just rang true for some reason!! I’m also enjoying Saga Land at the moment by Richard Fidler and Kari Gislason.

It’s been a great way to keep a track of what I’ve read since I started compiling my lists in 2014/15.  In the beginning I wrote notes on each book but that fell by the wayside some time ago! I do try to leave a review on Goodreads if I’ve particularly enjoyed a book.

If you have any suggestions for books to read, just let me know.

What about you?  Do you have a favourite book you’ve read this year?

Debbie 🙂

You can also find Deb’s World here:

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “I’ve read 40+ books in 2017!

1. December 11, 2017 at 5:19 pm

Perhaps you could try An Isolated Incident by Emily Maguire – it’s very good.

2. December 11, 2017 at 6:34 pm

I’ve read none😂

• December 12, 2017 at 5:04 pm

I’m sure you’ve been busy with lost of other things though!!

• December 18, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Yes probably! I try to read but my body doesn’t let me ( always fall asleep!!😂)

3. December 11, 2017 at 9:43 pm

I love to read, though I never seem to get as much time for it as I’d like. I always read on my lunch break, though, and I managed to meet my 50-book goal on Goodreads. I think my favorite book this past year was “Born A Crime” by Trevor Noah about growing up biracial in South Africa. I actually listened to it as an audiobook. Like you, I don’t listen to those a lot, mostly when I’m driving long distance, but I’ve seen Noah on the Daily Show, and I figured his narration would be wonderful. I wasn’t wrong. It was so good. He can nail any accent, and his story is incredible. Plus, he’s so funny. I highly recommend it as an audiobook.

• December 12, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Wow 50 is a good haul, well done! That’s a great recommendation for Born a Crime Carrie,it sounds very interesting and I like the fact it’s read by someone who can do the accents and characters. Thanks very much! I’ll add that to my list 🙂

4. sivylla
    December 11, 2017 at 10:01 pm

wow! 40 books sound like a lot! Congrats! I think i must have read about 3 or 4! I love reading though i wish in 2018 i will have the time to read much more!
    Would also love reading your thoughts on my latest blog post.

Love,
    Sivylla

5. December 11, 2017 at 10:36 pm

I reread several books this year. My daughter and I are planning to do a book read challenge for 2018. My favorite book that I have reread more times than I can count is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and the late Terry Pratchett. I love it even more each time I read it!

• December 12, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Thanks for this suggestion, I’ll add it to my list in Goodreads! It sounds like it will be fun doing a reading challenge with your daughter next year. Good luck to you both and happy reading.

6. December 11, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Fantastic! Well done! That’s quite an achievement.

• December 12, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Thanks, it’s not much compared with some but I’m pleased I managed to make it over 40 and I enjoyed them all as well, which is a bonus!

7. December 12, 2017 at 12:59 am

I love how there’s a bit of everything on the list of books you read!
    Saw you read A Court of War and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas. I’m currently going through her Throne of Glass-series and enjoying them as well – although I have to admit I’m missing Rhysand, ha.
    A Man Called Ove is on my wishlist. I’ve heard such good things about it!

Happy reading!

• December 12, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Thanks Kathy – yes the list has a bit of everything as you say! I never get bored, that’s for sure! I enjoyed the Throne of Glass series too after my grown up daughters recommended them to me. I found Ove very sweet so I hope you enjoy it too.

8. December 12, 2017 at 1:20 am

I am on track for 50 for my Goodreads challenge. My favourite book so far is “No More Mulberries” by Mary Smith.

• December 12, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Wow, that’s great to see! 50 books is my aim. I’ve added that book to my list now – thanks for the recommendation!

9. December 12, 2017 at 3:07 am

I always set myself a 50 book challenge on Goodreads but this year I’ve lost my reading mojo! I’ve even written a blog post about it haha. I’ve only managed about 24 books and most of them were technical/non-fiction. Oh dear! Hope to do better next year x

• December 12, 2017 at 5:17 pm

You ave been very busy Shelley so it’s not surprising at all! I’m sure you’ll get back into it after all the excitement calms down for you. I think 50 is my new goal too. Thanks for reading and I seem to remember reading you post about it, I’m so glad your name is on my list for the year!!

10. December 12, 2017 at 7:07 am

Debs I know maybe why you like to be doing something while listening to an audio book, as when we read we holding something turning the pages. When listening sitting down, it’s hard to not want to do something, so distracting doing nothing physical! Well done for reading so many books. I am terrible as I usually read at night and since travelling I fall asleep after a couple of pages. Not many books were read, though lots of blog posts were 🙂

• December 12, 2017 at 5:19 pm

Thanks Suz, I tend to think you’re right! I usually read at night too and luckily it doesn’t put me to sleep unless it gets really late. You’ve been very busy this year so it’s not surprising and I think blog posts should count as reading 🙂

11. December 12, 2017 at 9:29 am

I’m on 33 at the moment. I had a quick look at your list to see if we’d read any of the same things this year, but we hadn’t. My favourite author of 2017 is Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche. We read Americanah at Book Group and that inspired me to read two more.

• December 12, 2017 at 5:22 pm

You’re going well Anabel! It’s interesting to note the many differences in reading styles and subjects isn’t it? I’ll have a look at that author you mention. Thanks for stopping by!

12. www.retirementreflections.com
    December 12, 2017 at 9:32 am

Hi, Debbie – Congratulations on this accomplishment. That’s quite the list. I belong to two Book Clubs so I read at least 24 books a year (and even that is a struggle sometimes)! I am very impressed by your high number, especially with all of your travels and adventures. Impressive!

• December 12, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Thanks so much Donna, it’s a great pastime to have and the hammock swaying gently is so conducive to reading. I was quite surprised at the number given all my gallivanting around.

13. December 13, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Well done Debbie, you’ve read way more than I have this year. When I was younger I could never keep my head out of a book but these days I’ve slowed right down. Your post makes me want to go pick up a good book again.

• December 13, 2017 at 4:18 pm

I hope you can find a good book to read Miriam, I find it so relaxing to just turn off from the real world for a while.

14. December 15, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for your post Debbie. I also set a book challenge this year so need to review and post about it.

• December 15, 2017 at 3:00 pm

I often forget to update my book lists then have to do it in one go Ruth! I like using Goodreads for that reason 🙂 it keeps track of what I’ve rad and when! I look forward to reading your post.

15. December 16, 2017 at 12:04 am

I envy your ability to read anywhere! I can’t seem to focus on the story when other thoughts/people/things are trying to battle for my attention.

• December 18, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Thanks for the visit. It is hard to switch off but it’s great when you can and just lose yourself in the book.

16. December 16, 2017 at 12:18 am

My goal every year is to read 52 books, but I haven’t checked yet to see if I made it! Thanks for this reminder!

17. December 16, 2017 at 11:24 am

I have never been much of a reader but congratulations on reaching your goal! Thanks for sharing at The Blogger’s Pit Stop! Roseann from http://www.thisautoimmunelife.com

18. December 18, 2017 at 12:16 am

Great accomplishment!! I wish I had kept better track of what I’ve read this year. I am determined that I will be more diligent next year. I’ve been using Goodreads regularly lately, but didn’t really track my completed books until just a few months ago.

• December 18, 2017 at 10:31 pm

It’s a great start Wendy, I enjoy seeing my list of books grow and it helps my memory too. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment 😊

19. December 20, 2017 at 11:20 am

Way to go!! I’ll be ending my year with only 27 books read when my goal was 50. It was a tough year but I plan on making my goal 50 again next year and really working toward it. Great post!

• December 20, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Thanks for stopping by😊 I think 50 is a good goal to have. Well done, it depends a lot on what happens in the year so you’ve done well to get 27 books read.

20. January 1, 2018 at 5:08 pm

Debbie, what a lot of books to read, it is good to hear of so many people enjoying reading. Your post has been popular on the Blogger’s Pit Stop so we will feature it this week. All the best for 2018 and I look forward to hosting with you.

Kathleen
    Blogger’s Pit Stop

• January 1, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Thanks very much Kathleen, that’s lovely news to start the year off with! I hope you’ve enjoyed the break, I know I have! All the best for 2018.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )