Retracing our steps

Every photo tells a story

Retracing our steps

The days of family camping trips are long gone

but the memories remain.

Purlingbrook Falls in Springbrook on the Gold Coast hinterland

The stories we tell and the steps we take

belong to a distant time.

Family time on a special day

We repeat the stories as we retrace our steps

slipping back to that time

when life was different and our family complete.

Tumbling water at Springbrook QLD

Retracing our steps

sharing our memories

creating new stories

sharing the love.

Life is a story, our photos record those stories, and sometimes we need to retrace our steps.

This was one of those times for us.

Twins Falls Springbrook QLD

A wet weekend spent at Springbrook, in the Gold Coast’s hinterland, celebrating family, life and birthdays with my mother, sister and brother. Dad would have been proud of us for persevering through the rain – it’s the best time to see waterfalls in action!

Travel photography where every picture tells a story

Deb xx

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “Retracing our steps

1. March 11, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Beautiful, Deb ❤

• March 11, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Ritu, it’s been a big weekend in some ways but it was lovely being with family.

2. March 11, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Beautiful ❤️ Love you all.

3. March 11, 2018 at 8:07 pm

Wow this looks so beautiful and those waterfalls look stunning!

• March 11, 2018 at 8:15 pm

Thanks Hayley, it was glorious even with all the rain. The waterfalls were amazing.

4. March 11, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Walking in the rain, I actually love doing that. Lovely post, Debbie 🙂

• March 11, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Many thanks Suz, it was really special. I love walking in the rain too when I’m prepared for it!

• March 11, 2018 at 8:24 pm

That always helps being prepared 🙂 I convinced a certain other person and dog to go for a walk while in France, we all came back looking like drowned rats. Thank goodness for heaters and hot showers 🙂

5. March 11, 2018 at 9:07 pm

Stunning pictures!

6. March 12, 2018 at 2:35 am

Lovely pictures 🙂 Kinda made me nostalgic for my families annual picnic in the summer and everybody comes out to play for the day on the beach.

7. March 12, 2018 at 3:47 am

Lovely pictures. We’re going to be doing something similar…BUT different. When I was growing up, all the pictures that my father took of every event went onto slides. And then he would show the slides at parties. I haven’t seen these pictures in 30 to 40 years, but we found them recently. And the projector and screen. In two weeks, we’re going to have an old-fashioned 60’s slide party. So that we can all look at the pics and laugh and reminisce. (And drink a ton, because hey…that’s what they did in the 60’s!)

Liked by 2 people

• March 12, 2018 at 7:09 am

Oh that sounds amazing Jennifer, I remember those slide nights too. Thanks for stopping by and reminding me of those fun times. I wish you well with your ‘modern’ slide night. 😊

8. March 12, 2018 at 7:53 am

What a beautiful area! My family went camping just about every summer when I was young. So many great memories were made along the trails and around the campfires.

9. Retirement Reflections
    March 12, 2018 at 8:11 am

So true and so poetic! You are a very talented writer.

10. March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am

Thank you: this set my own memories rolling. Tracing your steps was a super idea — on the other hand, we can do this in a different fashion by looking at old photographs.

• March 12, 2018 at 8:46 am

Very true! We did that too earlier in the year after dad passed away. It’s very therapeutic. This was a special time for our family to celebrate what would have been dad’s 80th birthday. The first of many firsts.

11. March 12, 2018 at 9:03 pm

What a lovely thing to be able do together. Louise

12. March 14, 2018 at 10:06 am

Your words are so beautiful Debbie and how wonderful you could all be together to retrace some wonderful memories. I’m sure your Dad was with you all every step of the way enjoying the gorgeous scenery. Thank you for sharing at #MLSTL and have a beautiful day xx

• March 14, 2018 at 11:11 am

The waterfalls are stunning Deb and you are right you need the rain to make them spectacular. Thanks for sharing and supporting the #overthemoon link party. xx

• March 14, 2018 at 9:35 pm

My pleasure Sue and thanks for all you do for us as a co-host.

• March 14, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Thanks Sue, it was a lovley weekend together and you’re right, dad was with us I’m sure.

13. writeofthemiddle
    March 14, 2018 at 11:27 am

Oh I love Springbrook! I also love walking bush tracks, rainforest walks, anything out in nature like that. Oh and those waterfalls are wonderful! Yes – good on you for persevering during the rain! Lovely photographs! 🙂

• March 14, 2018 at 9:35 pm

It’s just the most beautiful area isn’t it? Thanks for your comments – nature is very photogenic, especially in the rain 🙂

14. March 14, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Very lovely photos. Thanks for sharing. #MLSTL

• March 14, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Pat, I enjoyed sharing my thoughts and photos of this special time.

15. Denyse Whelan Blogs
    March 14, 2018 at 4:18 pm

That was so refreshing. I am reminded of the words (don’t know the source) that go something like this: The memories may invoke sadness or happiness, regret or fear but you would not be here as you are today without those memories and experiences”. I too have some aspects of life that I recall with regret and sadness at how I was feeling back then but I say with kindness to myself “they have helped you be where you are now”.
    Denyse #MLSTL

• March 14, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Denyse, I’m so happy you left me your thoughts. I love your quote and feel the same way. 🙂

16. leannelc
    March 14, 2018 at 11:19 pm

That was lovely Deb – poetic and the pictures really captured the rain, the waterfalls and family doing life together. Thanks for linking up with us at #MLSTL and I’ve shared this on my SM xx

• March 15, 2018 at 2:50 pm

Thanks Leanne, I enjoy the #mlstl linkup each week. Always a great selection of posts are shared. I’m happy to be included and able to share my voice with you all.

17. March 15, 2018 at 12:57 am

There is nothing like pictures to bring back our memories. I can spend hours looking back over pictures and the computer makes this so easy. Your writing with the pictures is so perfect.

• March 15, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Many thanks for your lovely comment Victoria. You’re right these days we can spend time looking st good quality photos we’ve taken. I love finding old photos and wondering about their stories.

18. Amy
    March 15, 2018 at 2:01 am

Beautiful! I love to get out in nature. TFS!

19. March 15, 2018 at 3:46 am

What wonderful photos. Waterfalls are best viewed when it’s raining. Must have been lovely. #MLSTL

20. March 15, 2018 at 5:56 am

Beautiful and touching. You made me think today Deb. Yes, photos bring back such wonderful memories which we must try to cherish rather than yearn to have back.

• March 15, 2018 at 2:48 pm

Thanks Jo, glad you found it touching and thought provoking. Really appreciate your comment 😊

21. chawkes61
    March 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Just beautiful. ❤️

• March 15, 2018 at 2:58 pm

Thanks Christie, it was a heartfelt post and I’m quite proud I can share my feelings with others like this. It isn’t always easy though 😊

22. mrsluvit02
    March 15, 2018 at 4:51 pm

What a lovely memory walk through with beautiful photos. Photos help our memorable times so much. I love your waterfalls, courtesy of your wet weekend, they always fascinate me, a bit like sitting and watching waves form.
    All the best,
    Kathleen

• March 15, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Thanks so much for your comment Kathleen. I love sitting and watching waves too and listening to their regular rhythm is very therapeutic. The waterfalls are very similar. 😊

23. March 16, 2018 at 1:14 am

There is nothing like being in the great outdoors with family, is there? In my case, one grown daughter continues to carry on our family tradition, and being able to truly hike with her at 35, vs the little mini hikes we did when she was younger, has been an absolutely wonderful thing.

I remember that my rule when we went on long trips together was to find water to sit beside or play in for a bit sometime during each day, if possible. This went so far in adding to the ‘fun’ factor for our girls, and provided a much needed break in and amongst our touring. So many lovely memories of eating lunch beside a stream or pond while our girls gleefully splashed and played. Thank you for the lovely walk down memory lane!

• March 19, 2018 at 10:19 pm

Thanks for sharing your lovely memories Tamara and I’m glad you enjoyed a walk down memory lane 🙂

24. March 16, 2018 at 9:17 am

Very touching post. Your photos are beautiful

25. March 24, 2018 at 9:55 am

This is beautiful Deb. Hope you’re well. Have a good weekend. xo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )