What’s in the mirror? – Week 36 of 52 week photo project

What’s in the mirror?

Mirror, mirror on the wall

Who’s the fairest of them all?

There's a ship in the mirror - captured while out riding my bike

A ship in the mirror

Welcome to this week’s wrap-up post

The theme for Week 36/52 was In the mirror

My words: While cycling in Vincentia on the NSW South Coast, on the weekend I kept seeing great sights in my bike’s mirror – the beach, the bush track, the sky, others out on the walking track, dogs being walked -and then this little beauty! A Naval ship floating in Jervis Bay – how appropriate! I positioned my bike so I could capture the ship fully and there you have it – a ship in the mirror.

It took me a while to set this shot up to my satisfaction.  Unfortunately I only had my iPhone to use at the time, but I’m happy with the result.

In the end I liked the sense of the horizon, the mix of the bush track ahead of me and the sparkling sea in the mirror behind me.  The Navy ship was just a bonus and a happy one at that.  You see my father was in the Royal Australian Navy and trained in these very waters.  It’s funny how often he seems to pop up, in various ways, now that he’s gone.  Both my sister and I have commented on this recently.  It’s these sorts of things that keep me connected.

Photos from the group

The photos from the others in the group were stunning.  Here’s a summary in my words – you really need to click the link to read their words as well as see their photos for yourself!

Feel free to follow the link above to check them out for yourself. Maybe leave a comment if one of the photos particularly takes your fancy. We always appreciate hearing your thoughts 🙂

Daniel’s photo was a lovely reflection in a puddle – he captured the feel of the evening and the colours are just gorgeous.

Grant’s photo is an interesting mirror on an old car – it captures the imagination.

Melanie’s photo is a delightful snow scene with a daffodil asking the snow to go away so it can continue to grow. It’s great having the UK connection as we get to see a variety of weather conditions.

Sharon featured a beautiful model as a different scene in the mirror.  It’s a stunning photo.

Tim’s photo shows the angles of Melbourne being used as a mirror on a hot day.

You can read more about the story behind the project here: 52 week photography project  – but basically I have joined with 5 photographers, of varying experience, to take a photo every week for a year, one theme at a time. That’s 52 weeks of photos!

Life is like a mirror,

if you smile at it,

it smiles back.

With each photo we also submit some accompanying words, which can be just as interesting as the photo itself some weeks! This can include the subject, the setup, the story behind it and even our processes.

How did you like our interpretations this week? Let me know in a comment below, I always appreciate hearing from you.

I can’t believe we’re up to 36 weeks already!

Next week’s theme is: Fruit/vegetables

Enjoy your week ahead.

Let’s stay in touch. You can also find Deb’s World here:

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

One thought on “What’s in the mirror? – Week 36 of 52 week photo project

1. Retirement Reflections
    March 24, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Very clever shot, Debbie. Extremely well done!

• March 24, 2018 at 8:58 pm

Thanks very much Donna, I really appreciate your lovely comment.

2. March 24, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Great shot, Deb! Love that your Dad is still with you even in unexpected places. x

3. March 24, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Wonderful shot. Very creative and so lovely that your dad is still with you. xo

4. leannelc
    March 24, 2018 at 3:15 pm

I love that you fill your life with such variety and so many interesting pursuits Deb – the photo was great and shows how talented you are (even with an iphone!)

• March 24, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Thanks so much Leanne, that’s a lovely thing to say. I try to live an interesting life, like many others, and sometimes it even surprises me what I get up to. I really enjoyed getting this photo 😊

5. March 24, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Love that shot Deb! So great! And to get the ship into it too!

6. March 24, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Such a creative shot, Deb, and more meaningful with the ship and its connection to your Dad. I’m so glad you are ‘seeing’ him frequently. Our relationships with our loved ones continue and grow even after they are gone. Hugs.

7. March 24, 2018 at 10:30 pm

Lovely photo! It’s a great shot x

8. March 25, 2018 at 2:21 am

I love that when you go to the beach you have wonderful memories of your Dad. Brilliant 🙂

9. March 25, 2018 at 2:52 am

Lovely contrast in the shot. Looks like s fun project!

• March 26, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Thanks for your comment, it has been a great project and really makes you think creatively.

10. March 25, 2018 at 7:30 am

Wonderful shot Deb – so well orchestrated! I love Grant’s shot of the old car – those wing mirrors are just stunning, and must be able to tell a thousand stories! Thanks for sharing x

• March 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Thanks Claire! So glad you visited and you’re right, the car’s mirror would tell a good story!

11. March 25, 2018 at 7:14 pm

What a perfect “in the mirror” photo! I love this. There’s always so much going on around us, but we rarely see what’s going on behind us.

• March 25, 2018 at 7:19 pm

That’s a great point you make Hayley, we need to take stock of what’s behind us or we could miss out on great sights like this. Thanks so much for your great comment.

12. March 25, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Very cleverly shot and the car too. Nice work Debbie.

13. Unbound Roots
    March 26, 2018 at 4:57 am

I LOVE this shot or yours, Deb! Very creative.

14. March 27, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Very cool shot, Deb. I love how your father keeps showing you reminders!

• March 28, 2018 at 8:53 am

Thanks Jennifer, it’s lovely having these reminders.

15. April 11, 2018 at 1:35 am

Absolutely love this shot, Debbie. It turns the classic ‘horizon’ shot on it’s head, showing it from a different perspective and, that alone, makes it more interesting. If the mirror was just a teeny, tiny bit more central to the overall picture, I think it would be even better, but the image you’ve captured within the mirror itself? That’s perfect!

• April 11, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback Shaun, I really appreciate it. I get what you’re saying about the mirror placement too. It was fun trying to set it up so that I captured the ship. I’m so glad to have your thoughts!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w