How NOT to make money or get a gazillion views in your first month of blogging – or even your first six years!!
Why are so many bloggers’ lives so skewed towards making money quickly or getting a gazillion views/followers in a short amount of time?
I am getting quite tired of seeing all these types of posts. Pinterest is where they tend to hang out the most.
If I was making all that much money why do I want to tell you all about it anyway???
I don’t have an issue with people making money from blogging, it’s a natural progression for some and they’re really good at it. It’s the way some of them have to continually sprout their successes and is it just me or does it seem like the time frames are getting shorter and shorter?? Started a blog today, then expect a gazillion views by tomorrow!
Are we all getting that shallow that we crave millions of followers/likes/views and expect them in the first few months of a new venture? I’ve been blogging for over six years now and can hardly acclaim to be a prolific blogger, or even shock horror – an influencer – and you know what, I happen to like it that way!!
And don’t get me started on the all the follow/unfollowing business that goes on!!
My #6 top tips
So in answer to these annoying posts, I decided to write my own silly, annoying (and sarcastic) post on the subject.
- Don’t sign up for any affiliate scheme – simple as that! You definitely won’t make any money that way!
- Don’t fall for the quick get rich scheme – if it sounds too good to be true – in terms of gaining new followers, making money, sales, views, whatever – remember it usually is too good to be true!
- Blog simply because you enjoy it – there’s no pressure that way, except from yourself!
- Ignore social media pressures – the new Facebook algorithm is doing so many peoples’ heads in, it’s not funny! But if you ignore all that and just coast along happy with your 80 views on Facebook for your latest post you’ve shared, then all’s well with the world 🙂
- Smile – life is far too short to get too wrapped up in all the angst – read point #3 again
- Remember you’re not the only blogger out there writing about food/DIY/yummy mummy/travel/midlife…*insert niche here* – and you’re all touting for the same business. It’s a dog eat dog world out there at times! I’d much rather interact and engage with a few choice bloggers, a few Facebook groups who get what I’m all about and leave it at that!
I could go on and on and on….but I decided to stop at 6 as 6 is my favourite number – can you begin to see why affiliate programs wouldn’t want me, even if I wanted to join them?
I’ve also decided to stop getting upset by all these silly posts, really to ease my mental health, it’s not good for me!
If you are able to make money from blogging good on you, I wish you all the success in the world but just don’t write vacuous posts telling me how I should be doing it too.
Blogging for me
Blogging for me is a fun activity, one I’ve undoubtedly learnt a lot from and one I don’t take too seriously. I rarely have a schedule, I don’t like self promotion, but do the minimal I have to, and I enjoy having my own little piece of the internet.
I do, however, love engaging with other bloggers and reading and commenting on blogs. Not for what it can do for me, but for what I get out of it – I learn from others, I’m interested in the opinions and views of others and I truly care about other people. I’ve written posts before on being confused by all the hype and getting myself into a state about it. Maybe it’s that time of the year again!
That’s it really – I share my thoughts, my photos and bits of my life – it’s fun, doesn’t hurt anyone and I’m a happy little Vegemite 🙂 Especially now as I’ve just racked up 6 years of blogging and over 1000 posts!!
Am I alone here??
What does blogging mean to you? I’d love to hear from you.
PS. Please don’t respond if you’ve taken offence at this – each to their own and just keep smiling, remember we’re lucky to be alive 🙂
Linking up with Denyse for #Lifethisweek – Selfcare, share your story
You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!
© 2019 Copyright – All rights reserved: debs-world.com