Why does this sweet potato make me smile?

What’s making me smile at the moment?

It’s not hard to make me smile.

I’ve actually got a smile named after me, the ‘Debbie Smile’ – honestly it’s a real thing!

This week I’m smiling at this sweet potato.  Do you know why?

Sweet potato

Sweet Potato 🙂

My daughter and her husband are expecting their first baby, so my husband and I are now officially ‘Grandparents in Waiting‘. Yes I know, it’s pretty exciting!  It’s enough to make anyone smile 🙂

But wait there’s more!

I’ve got access to an app that charts the growth of the baby and this week it just happens to be the size of a sweet potato, so I couldn’t resist taking a photo of this sweet potato to share with you.

According to the app the baby is now 5 1/2 inches long (13.97cm) and weighs about 7 ounces (198.45gms) and hopefully it won’t be as orange as a sweet potato!

Last week it was the size of  a tangy pomegranate and I managed to photograph one in the local supermarket. I’m loving the vegetable comparisons, one week it was a dill pickle, the next a brilliant beetroot and before that a brussel sprout!

Pomegranate

Pomegranate

I love reading all the information available on the app, about how the baby is progressing, its size, how its eyelashes are forming, the fact that it will be starting to move soon and my daughter will feel it kicking.  It’s a long time since I was pregnant and I’ve forgotten so much. This time I’m enjoying it as an outsider looking in, which is waaaaay more comfortable. There seems to be so much information out there now and I’m fascinated at having it so readily available.  Back in my day it was all so different.  I must say that I thoroughly sparkled during my three pregnancies and have nothing but good memories from that exciting time of my life.

It makes me smile every time I read something new 🙂

This week’s Daily Post photo challenge asks for something or someone that puts a smile on our face .

This week, show us a smile (yours or someone else’s), make us smile, or both. Share a photo of something that has brought a moment of joy into your life recently, or focus on the outcome of that joy.

I can honestly say it’s the simple things in life, like taking a photo of a sweet potato, that has made me smile this week 🙂

I’ll leave you with this photo, taken in December, which I took as part of our 52 week photo project.  The theme for the week was , you guessed it, smile 🙂

beach smiley face at Vincentia

beach smiley face

Now if you don’t have a smile on your face after that then you’re just not trying!

Smile and the world smiles with you!

What’s made you smile recently? I’d love to know 🙂

This sweet potato made me smile

Smile:)

Deb xx

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

Contact me

One thought on “Why does this sweet potato make me smile?

1. Retirement Reflections
    April 6, 2018 at 11:24 am

Congratulations, Grandma-to-be. Very exciting!

2. April 6, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Did you draw a smiley face on the sweet potato Deb or was it already on there??

3. April 6, 2018 at 4:27 pm

My daughter has that app Deb, and my grandson told me once it was the size of a pomegranate which was pretty good for a 4 y.old. It is a lovely way to get an idea of the size of the baby. Such an exciting time Deb. We only have about 8 or 9 weeks to go and then we will have a new baby brother or sister for Ethan. xx

Liked by 2 people

• April 6, 2018 at 4:52 pm

It is such an exciting time for you all Sue! I’m really enjoying the app and learning of each new step towards life on the outside. Have a lovely weekend 🙂

4. April 6, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Congrats! What is the name of the app?

5. Tracey Walsh
    April 6, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Congratulations on becoming a Grandmother 🎉. It certainly does make you smile! Do you know what your grandmother name will be yet? I totally agree with your amazement at available information out there now. I guess “there are “instructions” on being on parent!” Lol

• April 6, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Thanks very much Tracey, it certainly is exciting. I’m thinking I’ll be Granny Debs. How does that sound?

• Tracey Walsh
        April 7, 2018 at 8:12 am

👍
        It’s Great! Isn’t it an exciting decision whether to be a Nana, Nona, Nonni? Perhaps Grandma, Memere, or Granny are possible for some. I had a Nana and a Ma. My kids grandmothers were Ma and Grandma. My grandmother name is Marme but Mar for short from the book LITTLE WOMEN 🙂

6. April 6, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Congratulations! That’s a very good reason to be smiling!

7. April 6, 2018 at 8:58 pm

Ahhhhh the joys of anticipating a grandbaby – the only thing that beats it is the actual appearance of that baby – they take over your heart. My son comments on what a pushover I am as a grandmother compared to how strict I was as a mother. I can’t help it – she melts my heart!

• April 6, 2018 at 9:02 pm

I’m expecting that to be the case Leanne 🙂 Already my other two daughters are feeling neglected and letting me know they think I’ve got a favourite daughter who just happens to be pregnant. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

8. April 6, 2018 at 10:41 pm

Such a sweet post. It amazes me how things have changed over the years with having babies. My baby is 49 so there is a big difference between then and now. Enjoy the excitement.

Liked by 2 people

• April 8, 2018 at 3:24 pm

I know Victoria, it’s astounded me how much things have changed since I had my three girls. I’m loving the excitement just in case you can’t tell!! Thanks for your lovely comment. 🌞

9. April 6, 2018 at 10:58 pm

Congratulations!! My daughter posted vegetables and fruit to show the size of the baby when she was pregnant two years ago. This is how I found out she was pregnant again when she sent a pic of a lemon and the ultrasound. It is such fun to be a grandparent. What a blessing.

Liked by 2 people

• April 8, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Oh that’s sweet! What a blessing indeed. I’m glad you can relate to my excitement 😊

10. kage2015
    April 6, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Congratulations to you and the couple having the baby. Keeping up and tracking would be a fun way to be involved.

• April 8, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for your comment 😊 it’s certainly a great way of being involved!

11. April 6, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Oh boy! Nothing better than a grandchild. My world today isn’t up and running yet, but yesterday’s smile came from my Facebook memories! I had post a whole bunch of 2 month old photos of my oldest granddaughter and looking through them again did truly make me smile.
    🙂 gwingal

• April 8, 2018 at 3:21 pm

I love the memories that pop up every now and again! I’m so glad you got some happy smiles Nikki!

12. April 6, 2018 at 11:50 pm

This was a beautiful post and it definitely made me smile! So excited for you!

• April 7, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Thanks so much Amy, you’ve made my day that I made you smile with my post 😊

13. April 7, 2018 at 12:14 am

I’m saying the smile is all natural!!

14. Grammy Dee | Grammy's Grid
    April 7, 2018 at 7:27 am

Oh my gosh, I can relate to the smile. Even if I’m feeling bad or not having a good day my grandbabies can always put a smile on my face! I’m excited for you! Shared x 4 ♥

• April 7, 2018 at 2:27 pm

That’s so lovely to hear Grammy Dee!! Thanks for the sharing and all the support you give. ❤️

15. April 7, 2018 at 8:30 am

This post made me smile Deb and brought back memories. My daughter in law had this app when she was a mum to be. I loved hearing about the size each month. Gets very interesting towards the end

• April 7, 2018 at 2:25 pm

That’s great to hear Jen. I’m glad you can relate to my smiles and yes it brings back memories to me too. Oh to be young and pregnant for the first time again – well sometimes I think I’d prefer to be in my current situation than go back through it all but at other moments I love the thoughts that rush back at me.

16. April 7, 2018 at 11:01 pm

Sweet Potato, what a sweet nickname for a baby!

17. April 8, 2018 at 5:23 am

Congrats to the latest Grandma in waiting😄

18. April 10, 2018 at 12:35 am

Congratulations! I’m not a grandparent yet, as our kids are 4 and 3, but I can totally see the appeal, being able to spoil them and then drop them back off with mom and dad, hehe. You’ll be splendid!

• April 11, 2018 at 9:19 am

One day it will be your turn too! I love the ages of 3 and 4, so much curiosity and interest. Thanks for the congrats it’s a fun time so far!

19. Jodie
    April 10, 2018 at 1:28 am

This is so exciting, Debbie!!! How fabulous!!
    XOXO
    Jodie

20. April 10, 2018 at 9:54 am

Your amazing news made me smile!! Congratulations!! ❤

• April 10, 2018 at 10:00 am

Thanks for that, it was meant to make everyone smile 😊

21. April 11, 2018 at 7:54 am

I’m a smiley face addict. 🙂 (See?) 😉 Your post made me smile and I appreciate that!

• April 11, 2018 at 3:58 pm

That’s great to hear, it means I succeeded in my quest 😀

22. April 17, 2018 at 10:28 am

Definitely a smile inspiring post. I came to your post through your daughter (her Tassie post), and I’m pleased to have been introduced. You sound like your going to be a lot of fun to get to know. A Grandchild – once he/she arrives you’re going to be thinking, ‘this is great, why didn’t I have grandchildren first’.

• April 17, 2018 at 11:27 am

Welcome Chris! It’s lovely to have you join in the fun. I’m so glad you found me through Melanie’s blog and I love your comment that I’ll wish I had grandchildren first. I’ve been waiting a while 😊

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )