Prolific in a different way – thongs and bras in New Zealand!

Prolific thongs and bras

New Zealand is a funny place!

It is known for being prolific producers of sheep, netball, rugby, and cricket champions.

AND then there’s a different sort of prolific.

On one island there was a fence full of bras – in honour of breast cancer awareness and research….

Lots of bras at Cardrona in New Zealand

Lots of bras at Cardrona in New Zealand

And on the other island there was a fence full of thongs (called flip flops to some).

I’m not exactly sure why they were there, but it was worth a photo 🙂

Prolific thongs

Prolific thongs

When I saw this week’s prompt for the Daily Post photo challenge was the word prolific, I immediately thought of these two examples.

Maybe not the exact meaning of the word, but quite a fun interpretation I thought 🙂

What does prolific mean to you?

Prolific in a different way, travel sights you see in New Zealand

Pin for later

Deb xx

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

Contact me

One thought on “Prolific in a different way – thongs and bras in New Zealand!

1. April 22, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Hmmm… prolific can mean a lot of things. Also, I was thinking of the other kind of thongs!

Liked by 2 people

2. April 22, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Great photos – but if in NZ shouldn’t it be jandals – LOL. Have you ever been to Daly Waters pub in the NT – they have all sorts of everything there too, including a big hanging of bras, and a thong tree.

• April 22, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Probably should be jandals but I call them thongs, much to the delight of my daughter in the UK!! No I haven’t been there but I’ve heard if it. Thanks for visiting. 😊

• April 22, 2018 at 12:57 pm

Most people will what you’re talking about when you call them things anyway – only Kiwis would know what jandals are. And, yes our UK friends always raise an eyebrow when I talk about my thongs.

• April 23, 2018 at 6:49 am

We call them flip-flops in California because the word thong conjures up …well, what everyone is talking about! I like the Hawaiian “rubba slippahs” better, LOL! Great pics for prolific, Deb!

• April 23, 2018 at 9:42 am

I like that too Terri, rubba slippahs is something I’ve not heard of before!! Thanks for weighing in on the discussion. 😊

3. April 22, 2018 at 12:51 pm

I’ve seen the bras but not the thongs – that’s what I call them to. There’s a pub in Oxford, UK (The Bear) that has its ceiling and walls covered in students’ ties. Oh the strange things we see. Thanks for sharing.

• April 22, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Thanks Jenny! I love hearing about all these places that do odd things!!

4. April 22, 2018 at 3:02 pm

TWO great shots Deb and I’ve never seen either on my three trips to NZ. My son-in-laws sister collects bras for breast cancer awareness and each year tries to break the World Record for the longest line of bras. A great and fun way to spread the message of breast checks. Xx

• April 22, 2018 at 8:29 pm

That’s a great thing to do for breast cancer awareness, good in her! I had fun with this prompt today 😂

5. April 22, 2018 at 7:25 pm

What a fun interpretation of the theme Deb. There’s a place in Cooper Pedy, Crocodile Harry’s, that has some rather unusual undergarments too. What a quirky world we live in!! 😏

• April 22, 2018 at 8:28 pm

It’s amazing all these quirky places that have this sort of thing going on. I’ve not been to Coober Pedy yet but can believe it!!

6. April 22, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Wonderful! I love these photos.

7. April 22, 2018 at 9:23 pm

That certainly is a sight. Right up there with a giant tree filled with hanging bicycles I saw while traveling in Vermont, USA. It’s hard for me to find a bra I like so I wonder if those are some of people’s least favorites that they sacrificed. No clue on the flip flops.

• April 22, 2018 at 9:53 pm

It is a great sight Lisa and for a good cause as well. A tree of bicycles would be an amazing sight to see!! Yes I wondered the same thing about the bras, and how they came to be donated. The ‘thongs’ are just a bit different 😂

8. April 22, 2018 at 9:49 pm

That is a lovely message behind that display of bras. It is quite a sight but for a good cause. Maybe the thongs are just there for all of us to admire. You could get them in so many different colour and patterns 🙂

• April 22, 2018 at 9:58 pm

Yes the message behind the bras is lovely and such a bright happy sight to see. The thongs are just a bit different!! Thanks Mabel.

9. Retirement Reflections
    April 23, 2018 at 1:02 am

Such a fun post! When I first saw the title, I thought that your topic was ‘bras’ and ‘underpants’ (which I often call thongs, depending on the cut)!

• April 23, 2018 at 9:51 am

Haha! I wondered if that would catch anyone out Donna!! I’m not one to usually wrote about underwear, except in special circumstances 😂. I enjoyed sharing a fun look at this prompt anyway and I’m glad you also enjoyed it.

10. April 23, 2018 at 1:39 am

Love these two photos. One the message of breast cancer awareness, the other of what? Good foot care? Lost sandals looking for their partner? Fun in the sun? Who knows?

• April 23, 2018 at 9:50 am

Who knows indeed, but it was a fun take on the theme just for a change 😊

11. April 23, 2018 at 2:35 am

I enjoyed your choices for this week’s challenge! 🙂

12. Unbound Roots
    April 23, 2018 at 3:27 am

I believe you have captured “prolific” perfectly with your photos, Debbie! I could have used the snow picture of my front yard for that photo prompt. The snow definitely was prolific that day – we set an all-time record for snow in the month of April last weekend. 🙂

• April 23, 2018 at 9:45 am

Yes you could have used the snow pic Erin, it was awesome and prolific. Thanks for your comments on my photos, it was such fun using them to highlight the word prolific. 😊

13. April 23, 2018 at 6:22 am

Thongs !! I love colloquial crossovers

• April 23, 2018 at 9:44 am

I do too Orla!! It’s such fun hearing about all the differences around the world. 😊

14. April 25, 2018 at 8:22 am

Thongs, flip-flops, slippahs, zorries, shower shoes… and there are probably a few names I’ve forgotten. I always liked flip-flops best since that’s the sound they make.

15. Jo
    April 26, 2018 at 10:23 am

What wonderful quirky sights. So much better than lovelocks which are so overdone. So funny we both wrote about the same sort of thing this week, although my ‘thongs’ were different to yours 😉 As an aside when I lived in South Africa we called foot thongs – ‘flip flops’, and trainers ‘tackies’.

• April 26, 2018 at 6:25 pm

Thanks Jo, I agree they are very quirky sights but that’s what makes them fun 🙂 I like the South African name for trainers, I haven’t heard that one before.

16. Grammy Dee | Grammy's Grid
    May 5, 2018 at 9:59 pm

What can I say…interesting! Shared x 4 ♥

17. May 5, 2018 at 10:41 pm

Interesting, and I was thinking of a different thong. lol Here in the US we see a lot of dollars and license plates on walls but don’t think I have ever seen anything on fences.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w