The Odyssey begins….departure, arrival and ‘home’

The Odyssey begins!

Arrival

I must say it’s a very  looong trip from one side of the world to the other!  After more than 38 hours of travelling, and over 10000 miles of air travel, plus buses, cars and trains – we’ve finally made it.

London welcomed us with blue skies and the hint of warmth in the Spring sunshine and then we were on the bus to Bristol, where we were collected by our eldest daughter.  After that it was simply a quick drive to Cheddar, our ‘home away from home’.

It’s good to be back! It’s been 4 years since we were here last and some things have changed.  Our daughter and her partner have acquired a house of their own, a black Labrador puppy called Ozzy and a huge bunny called Bruce. Life is certainly very busy!

Out for a walk in the gorge

First day

Our connection to Cheddar

What sort of connection does an Australian family have with a small village called Cheddar?  Back in 1992 The Mathematician participated in a year-long Teacher Exchange program which effectively meant we swapped houses, jobs, cars and lives with a family from Cheddar, in Somerset in the southwest of UK. The English family travelled to our town of Tumbarumba in New South Wales Australia, and took over the Mathematician’s job at the local high school. It was an education for all concerned!

We moved with our three small daughters to the other side of the world for what turned out to be the experience of a lifetime – for all of us.  The Mathematician drove to Bath each day to work in the adult education sector and we took every opportunity to see as much of England and Europe as we could during the year. It wasn’t always easy but we managed to make it a year full of fun and adventure. In fact at the end of the year the girls didn’t want to return to Australia, they were more than happy to stay in Cheddar!

Our eldest daughter returned to Cheddar for a gap year after finishing high school and again after finishing her university course. And she has since stayed on and made her life here. It’s a case of life coming full circle!

We’ve been back to visit many times over the years, to visit our daughter as well as the many friends we still have in the village.  We’re always welcomed like long lost friends and pick up where we left off since last time.

It always feels like coming home to all of us, and it’s a place we all love.

As usual, soon after arriving, we did the obligatory walk to Cheddar Gorge followed by a walk around the village.

It’s great to see that Spring is in full swing here. Having left our beautiful Autumn weather behind, we’ve suddenly been transported to the world of Spring blossoms, different varieties of green, trees with leaves on them and the hint of an approaching summer. I know I’m a huge fan of autumn, but I must say, Spring is really starting to turn my head and I’ve only been here a few days!!

Cheddar Gorge

On our first day, after a good nights sleep, (thanks to jet lag), we walked into the village and up and over the gorge. This wasn’t exactly planned, but as it was a nice day for a walk, we just continued on. We’d enjoyed talking to a local over a cup of tea and decided to walk some of the way up, and in the end we just kept walking!

The views were well worth the effort! Whenever we visit we always have to walk it, and usually do so many times, finding new things to look at, delight in and explore. In  fact in our first few days here we’ve been up twice, doing the reverse of our first walk the very next day – just to mix things up! My calf muscles are currently screaming in agony.

According to the National Trust brochure, produced in conjunction with Cheddar Walking:

Iconic Cheddar Gorge walk with magnificent views of the gorge and beyond.  At almost 400ft (122m) deep and 3 miles long this is England’s largest gorge, and with its weathered crags and pinnacles, one of our most spectacular natural sites.

Terrain – varied terrain with open grassy paths, with some steep, rocky and muddy (when wet) stretches.  Some steps, one long set on decline. One stone stile. Stout walking shoes/boots recommended.  Can be exposed along the top of the gorge.

Things you see along the way include Lion Rock, Soay sheep, goats, deer, views of Glastonbury Tor, Brent Knoll and Bridgewater Bay, Pavey’s lookout tower and bird life.  It’s a distance of 3.5 miles with a grade of hard/strenuous in places.  The circular walk takes approximately 2 to 2.5 hours.

Memories

As we walked around the village, I enjoyed the memories as they came flooding back – the post office where I made my mark shortly after I first arrived – I opened my mouth to ask a question and my Australian accent burst forth and every head in the place immediately turned to look at this strange newcomer!

The school where the girls spent a year making new friends and learnt new accents.  We spent a lot of time at the school and it was an integral part of the year’s success.

The Market Cross in the village, something we’d never seen before, along with the old stone buildings, stone walls and the High street, which sadly isn’t quite as bustling anymore.

The stone walls, the colourful flowers, the neatness of the hedges, the green-ness of everything, the narrowness of the streets, the quaint names of the streets and houses.  It’s so different to our lives at home in our small rural town that it feels like we’ve travelled back in time.

And in a way we have.

The sun is shining and doesn’t set until nearly 9pm – it’s just a delightful time of the year to visit.   Apparently at home they’re enjoying the first blast of winter so my plan to miss winter this year appears to be working out just fine.

Why ‘Odyssey’?

I tend to name every trip we take, I think it’s a hangover from the early days when I had a separate dedicated travel blog. I’ve named this trip the ‘Odyssey’ as Louise, one of my blogging friends, used the word in a comment recently.  I looked it up to clarify its meaning –

Odyssey – a long wandering and eventful journey. An eventful adventure.

I thought that sounded about the size of it, so I’ve decided that this trip will be known as the Odyssey! As I update our travels I’ll use the name odyssey in the title to keep them all connected.

We have a few trips planned during our three month odyssey but to start with it’s a case of relax, catch up with our daughter and other friends, walk in the gorge, cycle the Strawberry Line, walk around the reservoir, visit some our favourite places and explore new ones, enjoy the spring weather and reacquaint ourselves with our home away from home. I’m in a good place right now 🙂

I’d be thrilled to have you join us 🙂

Deb xx

Odyssey begins - a travel blog

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

Contact me

One thought on “The Odyssey begins….departure, arrival and ‘home’

1. May 11, 2018 at 5:00 am

Welcome home Deb!!!!

2. May 11, 2018 at 6:18 am

Welcome back to the U.K., I hope you enjoy your time here, and that the unpredictable weather is kind to you. Many many years ago, must be 40 years, we went to Cheddar for a few days honeymoon after I married my first husband. I remember the lovely village, and the caves. I haven’t been back since then, but would very much like to.

Liked by 2 people

• May 12, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for your comment Georgie! I’m loving the spring colour and the weathers been fine so far thank goodness. Things probably haven’t changed too much since you were here last!!

3. May 11, 2018 at 7:10 am

Yes welcome back to England, looking forward to seeing you at the bash 💜😀

4. May 11, 2018 at 7:15 am

Love it Deb! I like that you are calling it an Odyessy and you have led such an interesting life. Imagine swapping homes and lives for a year! Cheddar looks beautiful and I’m assuming they have plenty of cheese there 🙂 The village is just beautiful and I’m a huge fan of UK and it’s gorgeous villages and countryside. Have a fabulous time and thanks for sharing the first of many post on your Odyessy. xx

Liked by 2 people

• May 12, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Thanks Sue, it’s one of those quintessential English places! Our exchange year was a game changer for us and I’m so proud of us for taking on the challenge at the time. Yes cheese is a big part of the village and also strawberries. Hope all is well with you. X

• May 16, 2018 at 12:17 pm

I love this part of the world Deb and I’m enjoying all of your photos. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us at Midlife Share the Love Party and I’ll be sharing on social media. Keep enjoying the Odyssey!

5. May 11, 2018 at 8:12 am

How can you not love a town named ‘Cheddar?’ This sounds like a wonderful alternative to enduring a winter in Australia, Deb. I’m looking forward to the ‘Odyssey!’

Liked by 2 people

6. May 11, 2018 at 8:32 am

We visited Cheddar for a 1/2 day trip on my first trip to the UK in 1998. We were staying in Wookey Hole at the time (I love that name). Loved what I saw of Cheddar, but didn’t have time to do the gorge walk. Next time! Looking forward to reading the continuation of your 3 month odyssey. Enjoy your time with your daughter.

• May 12, 2018 at 4:32 pm

There are so many great names over here and in fact I’m planning a post on that very topic soon. It a fun time that’s for sure.

7. Retirement Reflections
    May 11, 2018 at 9:08 am

What a wonderful start to your travels, Deb. I look forward to joining you vicariously on this Odyssey. I can’t wait to read more!

8. May 11, 2018 at 9:44 am

What fun! Thanks for taking me with you! ~ Lynn

9. May 11, 2018 at 1:39 pm

What a fabulous ‘odyssey’! Enjoy the beautiful area and reconnecting with your home away from home.

• May 12, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Thank you for visiting Sue, it’s a great story and a huge part of our life today. We are certainly enjoying catching up with memories and old friends.

10. May 11, 2018 at 4:43 pm

How wonderful to return back there again Deb. You certainly picked the right time…it actually feels like winter has well and truly set in Melbourne over these past few days.
    Enjoy your time there, and can’t wait to hear about the adventures in this gorgeous town of Cheddar, oh and the Bash as well! Xx

• May 12, 2018 at 4:29 pm

Thanks so much Lorelle. I’m hearing all about the winter weather back home and not missing it at all!! I’ll definitely keep you posted on the awards next week.

11. May 11, 2018 at 5:28 pm

A lovely post and you certainly visited at a great time, with the weather being kind at the moment 😊 Cheddar looks beautiful, it’s a place I’m not familiar with, but I’d love to visit 😊

• May 12, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Sam, it’s a delightful area and well worth a visit. Loving the spring colour!

12. May 11, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Glad you’ve made it safely. My daughter has just finished three years up the road st Langford Vet school so we’ve had many excuses to visit the gorge and the reservoir recently. It’s fab for sure. Now all you need is for the weather to hold….

• May 12, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Yes the weather has been a bit up and down but so far but generally fine. The spring flowers and colours are definitely a highlight. See you next week!!

13. May 11, 2018 at 5:54 pm

I didn’t know about your Cheddar connection Deb – how fantastic that your daughter chose the same village to create her expat life. I loved all the photos and smiled at the rabbit named Bruce (I had a budgie named Bruce when I was a younger woman) Looking forward to all your odessey posts (and to being able to spell odessey without having to double check it!) Also looking forward to an odessey guest post when inspiration strikes you down the line xx

• May 12, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Thanks so much Leanne, it’s a great story that our daughter now lived here! Your spelling of odyssey is different to mine so now I’m the one double checking 😂 I’m planning my guest post as we speak!!

• May 16, 2018 at 6:53 pm

I obviously still struggle with spelling ody…… so will not even try this time around! I’m loving following your journey on FB when you put up new pics and I’m so glad you found the time to link up with us at #MLSTL and I’ve shared this on my SM xx
        Leanne | http://www.crestingthehill.com.au

• May 17, 2018 at 7:34 am

Thanks so much Leanne, I love sharing our travels and just hope people don’t get sick of me. I couldn’t miss out on #mlstl 😊

14. May 11, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Love this and look forward to reading more about your adventures!

15. May 11, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Welcome home! I’ve still never visited Cheddar Gorge haha! Looking forward to seeing you next week!

• May 12, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Suzie, it’s great to be back – eek it’s next week very soon!! 😀

16. May 11, 2018 at 11:43 pm

What and amazing trip! Looking forward to all of your pictures from this adventure!

17. May 12, 2018 at 4:41 pm

Welcome to old continent, Deb.
    It really feels like a homecoming and this seems like a delightful town.
    Enjoy the time with your daughter and friends.

18. May 12, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Loved this post Deb. Have an absolutely fabulous time and look forward to hearing about all your new adventures. Enjoy the bash too! Hugs x

• May 12, 2018 at 10:55 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed reading it Miriam, you can travel with us anytime 🙂 I’ll be sure to report on the Bash next week don’t worry!! Hugs back xx

19. May 13, 2018 at 1:29 am

Welcome back to the UK, Debbie. Good to read that you’re already settling back into Cheddar. Looking forward to seeing you at the Bloggers Bash in London next week. I hope the jetlag is well and truly over by then. In the meantime, enjoy the spring and the longer evenings of daylight.

• May 13, 2018 at 1:50 am

Thanks so much Hugh, we’re loving the longer daylight hours and I believe it has helped in getting over the jet lag. We’re busy walking and exploring the area and have a party planned tonight to catch up with old friends – should be a blast!! See you next weekend 🙂

20. May 13, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Cheddar is stunning! What a fun adventure both then and now. Going to have to put Cheddar on my list of places to visit in the UK. Plus it’s named Cheddar, who doesn’t love that!

• May 14, 2018 at 5:40 pm

You’re right it was a huge adventure way back then and again now all these years later!! The name is always fun to talk about! Nearly as good as our home town Tumbarumba 😂

21. May 13, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Welcome back! Looking forward to meeting you at The Bash. Lovely post which brought back memories of a childhood visit to Cheddar. Lovely part of the world. Jill

• May 14, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Thanks Jill, it is a very special place to us. Nice to know you also have fond memories of Cheddar. See you next week 😊

22. May 13, 2018 at 6:01 pm

Welcome to England, Debbie! I love story of your family connection with Cheddar. It really is a lovely place. Melanie must’ve especially connected with it, to end up settling there

• May 14, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Thanks Hayley, it’s a very special place for our whole family. I’m glad you enjoyed the story of our connection with the place, it’s always fun to tell people 😊

23. May 13, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Welcome to England Debbie. You’ve picked a fabulous part of the country, Cheddar is beautiful. Love the name Odyssey too, great to name your trips.

• May 14, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Thanks for the welcome Jonno, yes Cheddar is a great place to base ourselves for the first leg our Odyssey!! We’re having a great time.

24. May 13, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Love the story about your connection with Cheddar 😊

• May 14, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Thanks Linda, it’s all these connections we have in the world that make it such an interesting place! I have great memories of our time living here.

25. May 13, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Cheddar seems like a lovely town. I’ll definitely try to get there when I’m next in the UK.

• May 14, 2018 at 5:33 pm

I think I’m probably biased in my thinking Phil! Thanks for reading and commenting.

26. May 13, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Hope you have a wonderful time.

27. May 16, 2018 at 4:04 am

What beautiful photos and so fun to hear about your adventures. I can’t wait for the next installment!

• May 16, 2018 at 4:36 am

Thansk Christie, it’s a beautiful place especially in the springtime.

28. May 16, 2018 at 7:11 am

Calling it an Odyssey is perfect and the images you shared are just lovely. I visited England many years ago and even the architecture is so appealing!

29. May 16, 2018 at 7:20 am

Welcome back! You’re starting your adventure in a beautiful part of England and I look forward to following your journey… xx

• May 18, 2018 at 5:00 am

Thanks Wendy! It’s lovely to be back and I’m enjoying the gorgeous spring weather too 😊

• May 20, 2018 at 8:45 am

Fabulous and wow – what gorgeous weather we’ve had for the amazing wedding today too! xx

30. kage2015
    May 16, 2018 at 7:31 am

Love the name of the town. Beautiful place to visit.

• May 18, 2018 at 4:59 am

Thanks Candy! It’s so nice at this time of year too with so much green and new life everywhere.

31. May 16, 2018 at 8:04 am

Thank you for sharing your Odyssey with us! We just got home from two weeks in Ireland/Wales/England and Scotland, and I thought that was a lot! What a wonderful experience for you.

• May 18, 2018 at 4:58 am

Thanks Loretta, it’s a great time for us and we’re really enjoying it. Your trip sounds good too, we’re going to Scotland later in July to see some friends.

32. May 16, 2018 at 8:06 am

First of all, who wouldn’t love a town named Cheddar? The idea of a teacher exchange is wonderful…I wish more countries would do that. Could be quite eye-opening! Wonderful photos. I look forward to following your adventures. (Adding your blog to my reader list).

• May 18, 2018 at 4:50 am

Thanks very much Donna! It was a great experience for all of us and very eye opening!! I’m finding it hard to find time to finish up my next post in my series, we’re just so busy here 😊

33. May 16, 2018 at 8:29 am

Debbie how exciting. I think it is so wonderful the way you ended up going to Cheddar, to get to change places for a year is pretty cool. Enjoy it is always so nice going back to visit favorite places.

• May 18, 2018 at 4:49 am

Thanks Victoria, it is one of those strange connections!! We’re loving our time back here 😊

34. May 16, 2018 at 8:53 am

Deb, a friend sent me your post. So interesting! I am a Harris too! I would love to follow your Odyssey. How can I know when yOdysseus. Is there a way to sunscribe? 4 of us, my husband and 2 dear friends are taking our “trip of a lifetime” to Australia, NZ and S Pacific in the fall (your Spring). I know it won’t be our last!! I just retired so we will be gone 3 months. Next year we are doing the UK! I wish you a wonderful time in Cheddar!!! Regards

• May 18, 2018 at 4:48 am

Thanks for your comment! There is a follow button on my blog http://www.debs-world.com if you’d like to join in the fun or you can subscribe by email. I’d love to have you along. Your trip sounds exciting too. From one Harris to another!

35. May 16, 2018 at 10:54 am

What a great start to your Odyssey, Deb! Thanks for sharing your photos and your family connections with Cheddar.

• May 18, 2018 at 4:46 am

Thanks Natalie, it’s a very special place. I’m having so much fun. 😊

36. May 16, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Loved reading about your Odyssey Deb and looking forward to more instalments. My daughter lived in London for four years and I lived my visits to her. I haven’t heard of Cheddar so was interested to read about it.

• May 17, 2018 at 7:38 am

Thanks Jenifer, it’s lovely to have you along with us!

37. May 16, 2018 at 2:15 pm

It’s a long way to pretty much everywhere from Australia isn’t it! Cheddar looks absolutely gorgeous, I hope you enjoy every minute of your trip and I look forward to following along on your Odyssey

• May 17, 2018 at 7:37 am

Many thanks Jan, you’re right Australia is ages away from everywhere!! We’re enjoying ourselves so far and have a new post ready to go out in a day or two.

38. May 16, 2018 at 5:55 pm

it seem you enjoyed a lot and spent fabulous time. Me too planning to go same place. Wish me luck for journey.

39. May 16, 2018 at 9:27 pm

What a beautiful English village. I am fortunate to have friends I visit regularly in both England and Scotland. BUT, I would LOVE to do a house swap someday or go to live there for an extended time period once we are both retired. I really enjoyed your pictures and post.

• May 17, 2018 at 7:32 am

Thanks very much Brenda, it’s a beautiful place with many happy memories for us. I’m glad you enjoyed my photos and our story.

40. May 17, 2018 at 4:27 am

Oh WOW! What an exciting 3 months you’re in store for! I think odyssey is the perfect word for your trip. Have lots of fun and I know we’ll be seeing a lot of pics from you!!

• May 17, 2018 at 7:31 am

It’s a huge trip Dee, but very exciting. I’ll be posting at least weekly about our travels, so hopefully you’ll come along with us.

• Grammy Dee | Grammy's Grid
        May 17, 2018 at 7:34 am

I sure will 🙂

41. Jo
    May 17, 2018 at 4:35 pm

So glad you’re having a lovely time. Oh Bath, I LOVE Bath. It would be my choice of place to live if I ever returned to England. The countryside around there and the city itself are just lovely hey? How wonderful that you spent a year in Cheddar and now have your daughter to visit there. Oh but how hard too. My Mum still lives in Devon and it gets harder each year to visit from Perth. Enjoy your Odyssey and I look forward to hearing more.

• May 18, 2018 at 4:36 am

It is really hard at times but I love being able to visit here here. We live Bath and will visit a few times while over this way. It is so green here and spring is glorious. I’m finding it hard to fit in my blogging as I’m so busy!! Thanks for visiting Jo.

42. Jo
    May 18, 2018 at 7:51 am

I can’t believe I missed this first post…and the bluebells…looking forward to reading more on the Odyssey.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )