What’s in a name – Somerset style

What’s in a name? Somerset style

Bishop's Palace in Wells

Bishop’s Palace in Wells, Somerset

A-Z of Somerset names

Why?

There has been a plethora of enjoyable A-Z posts lately from my blogging buddies.  I take my hat off to those who did the A-Z challenge in April which meant posting every day except Sundays, on a theme of their choice, following the alphabet each day.  I’ve also seen a few bloggers writing A-L and M-Z posts,  sharing snippets about themselves according to the letter of the alphabet.

Although this sounded like fun, I thought a post on the A-Z of town/village names around Cheddar in Somerset would be far more interesting than a post about me, so I decided to make a list of all the fabulous names in nearby areas.

Please note this is only a selection of names, there are many more place names that are just as interesting, which I haven’t listed!

I must say we had a fun time finding names for each letter of the alphabet and thanks go to Craig for his local knowledge. Somerset has a language all of its own, West Country, and I love hearing the strong and unusual accents.

When visitors come to our town of Tumbarumba (in NSW Australia), we try not to laugh at their pronunciations of our sometimes odd sounding places.  Now the boot is on the other foot!

Here is my A-Z of Somerset names:

Rodney Stoke

Shipham, Street, Shepton Mallet

The Horringtons, Taunton, Thurloxton

Uphill, Ubley, Upper Weare

Vellore, Vobster, Vole

Wookey Hole, Wells, Wedmore, Westbury-Sub-Mendip

X – marks the spot – we could not find any names starting with X!!

Yatton, Yaxley

Zummerzet – ‘Somerset’ in the local lingo

Apparently The Wurzels produced a song called All Over the Mendips – which is something similar to our Australian ‘I’ve been everywhere man, I’ve been everywhere’they both celebrate unusual names and are lots of fun!

I think of all these, my favourite is Nempnett Thrubwell – it’s one that is new to me and I just love the sound of it rolling off the tongue, or not, as the case may be!  What about you, any names take your fancy or do you have any to add to this list?

I’m currently travelling for a few months with The Mathematician and we’re loving the differences in climate, culture and scenery.  You can follow our travels on my page: Our Odyssey if you’d care to join us.  You’re most welcome to come along 🙂

Deb xx

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestStumbleUponG+Facebook and Flipboard

Contact me

One thought on “What’s in a name – Somerset style

1. May 15, 2018 at 3:47 am

Wookey Hole is one of the best place names ever!

2. May 15, 2018 at 4:59 am

Nempnett Thrubwell is a great name, never heard of the place but may have to look for it when we housesit down in Zummerzet in the Autumn.

• May 15, 2018 at 7:37 am

I’m glad it hit a chord with you too Jonno, such an amazing name but I wonder if it lives up to its name?

• May 15, 2018 at 3:04 pm

I’ll let you know if I manage to get there. Might be an amazing place, or not.

3. May 15, 2018 at 6:21 am

Oh there really is a Midsomer, Deb! I’m a fan of Midsomer Murders and yes Nempnett Thrubwell sounds just like an English village doesn’t it? Loved your post but you have to put up with one more about me in ‘Me from MtoZ’ then I think everyone will now everything about me including what I had for breakfast last Thursday LOL:) Glad you are enjoying your holiday and sending love from Australia xx

• May 15, 2018 at 7:36 am

I do enjoy the alphabet posts Sue! I’ll keep an eye out for your M-Zappa’s. Thanks for your lovely comment, it was a fun post to write.

• May 15, 2018 at 7:37 am

Yes I’m not sure what I’ll write as the second half of the alphabet has some tricky ones!!!

• May 16, 2018 at 6:34 am

I’m sure you’ll think of something Sue!! I look forward to reading it 😊

4. May 15, 2018 at 7:43 am

Great names! Many of the names of our local areas are Spanish and tourists often struggle pronouncing them. It’s funny… until I realize that I’ve probably butchered quite a few difficult names of places I’ve visited too!

Liked by 2 people

• May 16, 2018 at 6:33 am

Yes we tend to forget how many names we say incorrectly don’t we? It’s great fun trying to say some of these and getting it wrong. I love finding new ones to add to the list.

5. May 15, 2018 at 11:44 am

Love that you included Wookey Hole. And love your creative find for the Z.

• May 16, 2018 at 6:29 am

Thanks Chris, it was fun to do!! How could I exclude Wookey Hole?? It’s a star 🌟

6. May 15, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Barrow Gurney and Lulsgate Bottom are two both quite close to where I was brought up!

• May 16, 2018 at 6:28 am

These are great names too, I’m a huge fan. Thanks for sharing these with us 😊

7. May 16, 2018 at 5:39 am

Really enjoyed reading this 😊 there are some great names in this fab country of ours

8. May 17, 2018 at 4:27 pm

The Poms certainly know how to name their towns don’t they Deb? Ubley sounds like somewhere the Teletubbies would live! Nice to see you jumping on the AtoZ wagon – better late than never 🙂

• May 18, 2018 at 4:37 am

Yes Leanne, better late than never and in a very reduced format to your mammoth efforts!! I laughed at your comment about Ubley 😂

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w