Hairstyle History – Life this Week 34/52

Life this Week …..

This week, for the first time, I’m joining blogging buddy Denyse, for her weekly Life this Week linkup.  The prompt for this week is Hairstyle History –  it was after I shared an old photo of myself on Instagram that Denyse commented suggesting that I write a post for this week’s prompt. Denyse can be found over at Denyse Whelan Blogs,  and her blog is well worth a read as she is an inspirational lady with an interesting story to tell.

Life is too short to have boring hair.

As I’m just getting back into blogging after a break, I figured that a light, laugh at myself post was just what was needed.

Recently my daughters were looking through old photos and came across a few beauties from long ago.  They loved finding photos of their grandparents looking young and glamorous and laughing at their own childhood hairdos. They also laughed at  me!

Hairstyle history

Hairstyle history

This photo was a happy find in the pile of old snaps.  It was taken 22 years ago when I used to have a light perm put through to give my hair some missing volume and texture. I actually quite like this photo.

Considering I was mother to three daughters, I really didn’t do hair very well.  There are lots of photos with their hair in fetching ‘side pony’ and ‘mullet’ styles.  In my defense I must say these were very popular looks in the day.

My hair has always been quite fine and straight, sometimes bordering on limp and lifeless.  It is very rare for me to be able to grow my hair a decent length but I keep persevering through the cycle of short hair, then trying to grow it before getting sick of the effort and cutting it – only to repeat this time after time.  I’m currently in the let’s try to grow it again stage!

Young mother

as a young mother

This photo was one my daughters sent me with the question, ‘what were you thinking mum?’  I’m not quite sure what I was thinking but I’m sure I felt quite fashionable at the time! They also had questions about their own hairstyles – bowl cuts and mullets come to mind!

I loved my pageboy look when I was a teenager and received a lot of compliments on the way it naturally fell.

I regularly colour my hair, not because I need to necessarily, I don’t have a lot of grey hair but mainly because I enjoy colour and change.  I’m one of those people who will say to a hairdresser, just do what you like.  I do remember a favourite hairdresser telling me I should keep my hair short, as it brings out my eyes and facial features and I remind myself of this every time I decide to cut it short!

I enjoyed a range of styles over the years but I think the Mathematician wins the hairstyle stakes with this look from many years ago!

The Mathematician

The Mathematician

Thanks Denyse for the comment on Instagram, inviting me to join her this week to share these delightful hair styles. Are you brave enough to share any old photos?

Don’t waste a good hair day!

Feel free to  leave a comment below. I always love hearing from you and try to answer all your comments 🙂

Deb xx

Are you on Instagram? Check out Deb’s World here: Instagram for photo updates

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestG+Facebook,  Flipboard and Mix

You can contact me here

One thought on “Hairstyle History – Life this Week 34/52

1. August 22, 2018 at 1:19 am

My perm was much worse than yours, short hair suits you!

2. August 22, 2018 at 7:49 am

I love these photos, Deb! Especially the one of the Mathematician. How fun!!
    #MLSTL

• August 22, 2018 at 7:53 am

Thanks Donna! He sure had a good head of hair. I’m just reading your latest post 😊by the way.

3. August 22, 2018 at 8:02 am

Oh my GOSH!! I’m so grateful the internet did not exist during my poodle perm days!! Those photos will remain buried in my photo albums hopefully to never see the light of day!! #MLSTL

• August 22, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Haha, I love that we all seem to have had that poodle perm and never want to see it again! I think I was quite brave to share mine 🙂 Thanks for dropping by #mlstl

• August 22, 2018 at 9:40 pm

You absolutely were brave! My stylist has my permission to give me a slap upside the head if the word “perm” ever comes out of my mouth in her presence! Never again!! 🙂

4. August 22, 2018 at 9:22 am

Hi Deb, I was too embarrassed to show my photos! I had a different style every week it seemed when I was younger and my children often tease me about it when we look at photos. It was a great prompt from Denyse wasn’t it? Yes, I had the mullet style, the Lady Diana style and of course the perm and the curled up fringe held in place with a can of hairspray. LOL:) Have a beautiful week and thank you for being part of the #MLSTL community. xx

• August 22, 2018 at 6:51 pm

I think you should share Sue! I think I had all those styles you mentioned too 🙂 I enjoyed sharing something a bit lighter this week for #mlstl I really enjoy linking up and seeing the other posts.

5. August 22, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Oh thank YOU for the shout-out and joining in the fun. My husband looks at his long hair in the early 1970s and says “what was I thinking”. We all paid hairdressers a smal fortune for perms I reckon. My daughter was much better at styling her hair once she went longer and she is still doing this for her “surprise” youngest aged 6.
    Thank you for linking up for #lifethisweek. Next week’s optional prompt is a photo-based one: Share Your Snaps 27/8/18. Denyse

• August 22, 2018 at 6:48 pm

My pleasure to join in Denyse. I think perms are making a comeback, can you believe that?? I’ll look at joining in again next week, thanks for the opportunity 🙂

6. August 22, 2018 at 7:36 pm

I used to perm my hair too. Short hair looks nice on you.
    stopping via the LifeThisWeek linkup.

• August 22, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Thanks so much Suzy – it’s lovely to have you visit from the Life This Week linkup.

7. August 22, 2018 at 8:52 pm

Isn’t it lovely going back and looking at those old photos? I always smile at the hairstyles and perms we all had. It’s funny how they were essential back then and now we never see a perm unless it’s on an old lady. I wonder if they’ll return to popularity again down the track? You looked lovely in all of the photos – that trademark Debbie smile every time!
    #MLSTL 🙂

• August 22, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Awww, now you’ve made me smile Leanne – thanks so much for your lovely comment. It was a great time and lovely to look back on these photos. It’s interesting that my hairdresser said perms are coming back into fashion for younger ones – life is a cycle if nothing else!

8. August 22, 2018 at 10:43 pm

Deb you’ve reminded me of many horror hairstyles over the decades, especially mullets and perms. Sometimes both at the same time. Makes me wonder if one day I will look back in horror at today’s hairstyle. #MLSTL Will share on SM

• August 23, 2018 at 8:07 am

I think we will look back and cringe at today’s styles – it’s only fair don’t you think?? Thanks for sharing Jennifer 🙂

9. August 22, 2018 at 11:25 pm

I love this. I need to check out some of my different hairstyles. I have gone through the short long decision so many times but no more I am staying short. lol

• August 23, 2018 at 8:06 am

It’s well worth a look back through time! Thanks for your visit and comment 🙂

10. August 22, 2018 at 11:39 pm

Every era has a distinct haircut, the long hair with a short crop on top. Of course, the bell bottom jeans sitting on fat-free hips and a halter neck top using no bra, of course, made those hairstyles look all style 🙂 Love the photos, Deb.

• August 23, 2018 at 8:05 am

You’re right Suz, it was all about the era and the look. Glad you enjoyed my post 🙂

11. August 23, 2018 at 9:29 am

I love this Deb! I’ve been planning to do a post on my many hairstyles. I love to change my hair and I’ve used to do perms. I have similar hair – straight and there is no borderline limp. 😂 As for color, I will likely do this process until I can’t hobble into the hairdressers! Love your pictures!

• August 23, 2018 at 9:34 am

Oh thanks Molly! I enjoyed the sharing of old pics and my daughters often laugh at my frizzy perm shots of the past. Anything for some body back then. I’m more resigned to my hair these days. Like you I’ll keep hobbling into the hairdressers for a regular top up of colour and feel good vibes. I encourage you to share some past styles with us. 😊

12. Molly Totoro
    August 24, 2018 at 5:57 am

Such a FUN blog post! I recognize several of those hairstyles and fashion trends 🙂 For years I wore the “Dorothy Hamill” haircut. My husband still prefers that look on me.

• August 24, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Thanks so much Molly, happy to hear you enjoyed it. It’s a classic hairdo that one!!

13. August 24, 2018 at 10:49 am

So fun. I loved looking at these photos. I’ve had a few questionable hairstyles, including the Farrah Fawcett look of the 70s, the big hair of the 80s, and a perm in the 90s. I have a much for natural look now–though not natural color. I haven’t given in to the gray yet. #MLSTL

• August 24, 2018 at 8:15 pm

Thanks for your comment Christie, I love some of those styles but not sure I could rock them these days!! Glad to hear you can relate to a few too. 😊

14. August 26, 2018 at 3:04 am

Ha..like most of the others in our group, I’ve had the same range of hairstyles. At midlife, I do color it to cover the minimal gray but I’m letting it get long because it’s just easier that way.

• August 26, 2018 at 10:15 am

Yes, I’m thinking we’ve all had a similar range of styles being the ages we are! I like looking back at old photos to see the changes but I often wonder what on earth was I thinking???? Nice to have you join in.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )