Travel Tuesday: What I don’t miss about travelling

The worst things about being on the go…..

What do you dislike most about travelling?

The constant waiting around?

Living out of a suitcase?

Being away from home?

Eating out all the time?

Airports?

Long haul flights?

Infrequency of travel opportunities

Tourists everywhere?

Being exhausted?

Getting sick while overseas?

Jetlag?

In my case it’s none of the above

I love travelling and all that goes with it but the one thing I don’t miss about travelling is becoming almost obsessive compulsive about losing these three things.  It makes me become a different version of myself.

1. My passport
  2. My purse
  3. My phone

By the end of our most recent trip, our 3 month Odyssey, I had a routine that included patting my bag every few minutes, so I knew where my passport, my purse and my phone were at any given moment. I’m a savvy traveller and have been for many years so you’d think I’d be used to it by now.

I have to have a system so that I know where everything is and I always return them to their rightful position, but often it’s not enough to set my mind at ease.  That’s when I become paranoid and go searching through my bag to ensure all is where it’s supposed to be!

There was an awful time when I thought I had lost my phone and I nearly had a breakdown on the spot. Everything was on my phone – bookings, tickets, photos, contacts, calendar, plans – and I couldn’t imagine losing it all.  Of course if I was thinking rationally I would realise that there was a backup somewhere and the information could be retrieved, but at the time I was very worried (just ask the Mathematician about my reaction).

Photo by Leah Kelley on Pexels.com

Once I’m home it doesn’t matter

Once I’m home it simply loses its importance. I honestly couldn’t tell you where my passport is at the moment, I have a vague idea it’s in my bedroom amongst the detritus of my unpacking, and you know what, that doesn’t worry me at all.  I have my purse and my phone on my person but I no longer have that unconditional fear of losing everything.

And it feels so good!

When you travel your passport is your lifeline and it is the one thing I fear losing the most. I honestly get almost paranoid about it. Maybe it’s an age thing or has it been drummed into me so much that I can’t imagine losing my ID.  Now that I’m home I’m looking back and reflecting on how travel affects me and this is what came to mind first and foremost. What about you?

Am I the only one who feels like this or do others get thingy about losing their passport and identification too? I’d love to hear what you think and what you don’t miss about travelling.

Feel free to leave a comment below. I always love hearing from you and try to answer all your comments 🙂

Deb xx

Travel dislikes, the fear of losing things

Are you on Instagram? Check out Deb’s World here: Instagram for photo updates

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestG+Facebook,  Flipboard and Mix

You can contact me here

One thought on “Travel Tuesday: What I don’t miss about travelling

1. Eliza
    September 4, 2018 at 5:12 pm

I am exactly the same when it comes to my passport! Half the time I have no idea where it is and then frantically looking before a trip and it doesn’t leave my side when travelling!

• September 4, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Thanks for validating my concerns! It’s so weird how we change when we travel 🙂

2. September 4, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Great post

3. rachaelstray
    September 4, 2018 at 6:28 pm

I am the same. I vaguely know where my passport is now – in one of our spare bedrooms in a drawer I think. However on holiday I am paranoid about it!

Rachael | https://rachaelstray.com/

4. Jay
    September 4, 2018 at 7:58 pm

For personal travel, I dislike the going back home part, lol! Leaving vacation, and heading back to the “real world” can be a real drag. Travel for business… I would imagine any of those things you listed off as dislikes. I don’t have to travel for business tho.

• September 5, 2018 at 7:11 am

Thanks Jay – I’m the same as you about the going home part. If I could I’d stay travelling forever!! I’m not into business travel either.

5. September 4, 2018 at 9:38 pm

When traveling, I keep my passport on me in an anti-theft cross-body bag—because I have to know where it is and that it’s safe at all times. And I can reach out and touch my passport while sitting at my desk right now.

• September 5, 2018 at 7:10 am

I use a similar type of bag too Jennifer and my husband bought a cool little man bag this trip. Thanks for stopping by on your travels 😊

6. September 4, 2018 at 9:52 pm

Yes, I can totally relate to that feeling of holding onto your passport tightly. I’ll never forget years ago my leather bag was slit though thankfully nothing was stolen. Glad you and your ‘three things’ made it home safe and sound. xx

• September 5, 2018 at 7:08 am

That would be my worst nightmare Miriam. Thankfully nothing like that has happened on our trips.

7. September 4, 2018 at 10:44 pm

I think many of us suffer this same worry! 😉

8. September 4, 2018 at 11:25 pm

Honestly, the only thing I dislike about travel is trying to find the loo. It causes me serious anxiety. So much so that I have to pee even more often because I am so nervous that I won’t find the toilet in time. It’s ridiculous, but true.

• September 5, 2018 at 7:06 am

Oh yes there’s that one too!! I hear you 😊 My husband likes to locate all the available logos as we travel around. It’s easier for men at times isn’t it?

9. September 5, 2018 at 1:01 am

Nothing wrong in being a little paranoid if it’s about such important things as your passport. We also have exact places in our bags for everything so it’s 100% obvious if anything has been lost or left behind.

• September 5, 2018 at 7:02 am

It’s a very important concern and I agree there’s nothing wrong with being a little bit paranoid. I like that I’m only that paranoid when I travel 😊 great to have your thoughts on the matter too!

10. September 5, 2018 at 5:56 am

I’d be just as paranoid!!!

• September 5, 2018 at 7:00 am

It looks like it’s a common problem amongst travellers! I love getting comments and reactions to my posts and hearing what others think!

11. September 5, 2018 at 6:38 am

I’m a little bit anxious anyway. So, even when not traveling, I’m always checking to be sure I have my purse. I don’t know how men do it. I tell my husband all the time he (and my sons) need a purse–so they can stop leaving all their stuff behind. Yes, my fear of losing my important items is a big reason I don’t travel much.

• September 5, 2018 at 6:59 am

It only impacts me when I’m travelling so I’m lucky that way I guess! I feel for you and understand the anxiety. My husband actually got a small cool looking ‘man bag’ this last trip for the very reason you mention! Thanks for dropping by 😊

12. September 5, 2018 at 8:54 am

Having NCW lost my passport, phone and credit cards while travelling I am beyond obsessive. I’m not keen on being sick while on the road. Everything else is manageable. Oh and the good news is that I got everything back through the kindness of strangers within hours. 🙂

• September 5, 2018 at 9:04 am

That’s great to hear you got it all back Sue, what a scary situation to be in. I have many stories of the kindness of strangers while travelling too. I agree everything else is manageable 😊 thanks for sharing your experiences.

13. September 5, 2018 at 9:11 am

Paul takes care of our passports and travel docs when travelling, so I can relax on that account. My angst was amongst those you listed, and one you’re lucky enough not to let bother you – those long haul flights, I dread them. I have to get Valium from the Doctor to manage to get through one, and on a double flight to the UK once took four on each leg. Together with my pills to control my restless legs, which are ten times worse on a flight than at any other time, I feel like a real drug addict by the time I reach my destination.

• September 5, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Oh deat, I feel for you!! Long haul flights are a necessary evil and although hard at the time I try to keep the end in sight to get through it. I don’t know how you do it but well done on persevering.

14. September 5, 2018 at 9:46 am

No matter how much we may all want to “live off the grid” without a care in the world, we need our identification for virtually everything, and the world lives online and plugged in, so having a phone is more vital than ever…I guess for me is I try to keep one eye on the realities of my travel, and one wandering eye always seeking fun…yes, I end up cross-eyed much of the time, but that means it’s all going well!

• September 5, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Yes I know all about the cross-eyed look John but it has to be done. You’re sensible approach seems to work and thanks very much for joining in.

15. Jodie
    September 6, 2018 at 12:53 am

Hah..now you’re stressing me out because we are getting ready to leave on a trip. Although my phone is usually attached to me somehow, someway even when i’m home!!
    XOXO
    Jodie

• September 6, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Al long as you’re well prepared, you’ll be fine Jodie. Have fun!

16. September 7, 2018 at 9:03 pm

i just love your article. so fresh.

17. September 26, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Travel is great!! Travel always cheers and motivates me!! Do read my views on vacations. Start saving now for your next vacation

18. October 11, 2018 at 4:40 am

I was the same when I was travelling. I would say my biggest fear was losing my passport, as like you said it’s your ID and the one item that can get you home! I’m quite OCD anyway, but travelling was a whole other level. Great post, thanks for sharing, Sadie x

• October 11, 2018 at 7:33 am

Great to hear from you Sadie. I somehow don’t think we’re alone in our fear of losing our passport when we’re travelling!! Travelling is fun but also full of things we don’t always think about or expect to encounter. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed reading my post and could relate to it, so thank you for your feedback 😊

19. October 13, 2018 at 6:09 pm

We don’t travel enough to have dislikes of traveling but I am nervous of my personal belongings such as passport, phone, purse being taken! I spent some time in Europe and my friend had her entire bag taken off a bus when we were loading. We had to leave our destination early to get to the embassy so she could fly back to our house!

• October 13, 2018 at 11:10 pm

That’s not good to hear! There are lots of stories where ID has been stolen so you’re wise to be nervous of personal belongings. I think it is a very normal and sensible approach. Thanks for your comment and happy travels.

20. October 23, 2018 at 12:23 am

I always panic about my passport, i have to check every 5 minutes to make sure i know where it is 🙂

21. November 13, 2018 at 1:38 am

I’m a little paranoid about making sure I don’t leave my purse or work bag on the daily lol The main thing that I dislike about traveling are the living situations. I like using AirBnB because they’re affordable, but it’s not my bed or my bathroom. As a self-diagnosed germaphobe, those two areas must be clean…and sometimes they are not when I travel, which sucks 😕

• November 13, 2018 at 8:50 am

I can imagine that could be a real issue for you! I’m one of those travellers who doesn’t miss my own bed or bathroom until I get home again! Thanks for your thoughts on the topic 🙂

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )