Far away from home as she knew it

Far away from home as she knew it – a short story

How far from home had she travelled?

Who knew, and in the end, who really cared as long as she’d arrived safely?

All she knew was that she had left her old world behind. The water filled, floating world inside her carrier was long gone.

This was now her home.

A new world in which to start over again, blissfully ignorant of what lay ahead.

Starting over was always like this, a bit of a thrill and yet slightly sickening at the same time.

Her old home had been comfortable, a safe place in the end but she couldn’t stay much longer.

Space in the womb had been getting a bit tight lately so she knew it was getting close to the BIG DAY but suddenly there was all this pressure and she was pulled unceremoniously from her safe cocoon.

Life would never be the same again, for her, or this new family she’d been gifted to.

She’d come a long way from being a little zygote in her carrier; she’d grown quite big feeding whenever she felt like it, doing somersaults and spinning around and around.  She’d enjoyed sending messages by kicking and pushing against the walls inside, not knowing if they’d been understood or not, but it sure had been fun!

And so now she had arrived, ready to be loved, looked after and showered with kisses.  (But only on the head, it wasn’t considered good form to kiss a new one anywhere near the mouth as germs were the new enemy on the outside!!)

Life would never be the same again, every day a new journey with unimaginable experiences to take in and store away for later in her memory bank.

Growing was the main concern, sleeping and eating now the main objectives of each day. Trying to understand what she wanted and then communicating it to her new carers, was proving difficult but it was always like this in the early days.

They’d eventually get it right, they looked bright, clever young things up for the challenge of the next few decades of looking after her.

Her new life had just begun. She’d travelled a long way to get there and she was sure going to enjoy this new stage of being.

There was only one worry and that was the strange woman who kept taking photos of her, kissing her and wanting cuddles, hopefully she’d settle down after a while….

Baby's feet

Photo by Luma Pimentel on Unsplash

************************

Thanks to Lorna at Gin and Lemonade for this week’s writing prompt.  I am using Ritu’s suggested name for this – Lorna’s Gin-spiring Prompt #3

The prompt, in Lorna’s words:  Since this week is a bit weird, and time is a bit weird, this week’s prompt is: How far have you travelled from home?

As I write about travel a lot, I decided to respond to this in a completely different way. I really enjoyed writing this one and I have decided that wherever possible I will call on my creative writing skills for these prompts.  It’s good to challenge yourself and move outside your comfort zone sometimes. I hope you enjoyed reading it too!

I loved the first writing and photo challenge, A sepia toned fall memory and wrote a short creative piece here, A New World Order as Autumn takes over

Please let me know what you think of my response to this prompt.  I always enjoy hearing from you and appreciate you joining the conversation.

Deb xx

Are you on Instagram? Check out Deb’s World here: Instagram for photo updates

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestG+Facebook,  Flipboard and Mix

You can contact me here

One thought on “Far away from home as she knew it

1. September 22, 2018 at 6:24 pm

This is just a most beautiful take on the prompt! And you’re definitely not a strange woman… But a doting granny!!!

• September 22, 2018 at 6:25 pm

I just LOVED writing it Ritu, it was so much fun, so I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed it too. My daughters tend to think of me as a bit strange at times 🙂

• September 22, 2018 at 6:30 pm

I think that’s our writer mums prerogative… To be a bit strange!
        Embrace it!!!

2. Dee | Grammy's Grid
    September 22, 2018 at 7:50 pm

I love this and so will the baby girl someday…you should print it 🙂 And I’m so very sure she is going to grow to love that strange woman ♥ By the way, what name will she call you?

• September 22, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Thanks Dee, I had fun writing it too! I will definitely print it for her. I’m to be known as Granny Debs 😊and I’m sure she’ll reciprocate my love one day.

• Dee | Grammy's Grid
        September 22, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Are, how sweet…and wait until the first time you hear her say Granny Debs, you will just melt ♥

3. September 22, 2018 at 9:48 pm

I thought you handled it beautifully, narrating from the infants perspective. Good job Grandma.

• September 22, 2018 at 9:49 pm

Thanks Ellen, it was a fun exercise. I think I’ll print it off and keep it for her 😊

• September 22, 2018 at 9:57 pm

You should start Grandma’s thoughts box or book, or just a pretty large envelope, full of things only Grandma’s know. X

4. September 23, 2018 at 12:26 am

Awww, super sweet! I love it, great use of the prompt!

5. September 23, 2018 at 1:20 am

I love how you are embracing your new role as Granny Deb! Strange grandmas are the funnest grandmas!

• September 23, 2018 at 7:38 pm

I’m hoping that’s a true statement Janis!!! Thanks, I’m feeling a new dawning.

6. September 23, 2018 at 5:35 am

I see what you did there…and it’s beautiful. ❤

• September 23, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Cool Lorna! I hoped you’d see what did there 🙂 I started writing a story about aliens inhabiting humans but it turned out to be about a baby – go figure!

7. September 23, 2018 at 6:59 am

Beautiful story, Deb. Isn’t being a grandmother wonderful?

• September 23, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Yes Donna, it’s certainly opened a wonderful new area in which to think and write. I’m feeling inspired and so alive 🙂

8. September 23, 2018 at 7:47 am

Just beautiful, Deb. I have no words to adequately describe your writing. Just know your granddaughter is so lucky to have you. xx

9. September 23, 2018 at 9:08 am

sooooo sweeeeet! I feel the love. I recall the feeling of first becoming a grandma! I smile thinking of my grandbabies. I love your story! ❤

• September 23, 2018 at 9:11 am

Thank you Jodi, it was such fun to write ❤️ I think everyone smiles when thinking of their grandbabies, from what I’m hearing 😊 I always appreciate your feedback.

10. September 23, 2018 at 8:26 pm

This is such a lovely short story taking from the new born’s point of view, Debbie. You’ve done an excellent job in getting her world over to the reader and that of the dangers of the new world now faced with. You’ve written it so well and it does come over as if the newborn is actually telling the story. That’s a writing talent to be very proud of, especially as many writers find writing a story from the point of view of a young child as very difficult to achieve. Well done, and congratulations on becoming a proud Grandmother.

• September 23, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Hugh, I am absolutely thrilled to have you comment on my post. I value your opinion as an author of short stories, with a twist, so much that I am almost rendered speechless. Thank you so much for your encouragement. I could hug you 🤗

• September 23, 2018 at 8:54 pm

You’re very welcome, Debbie. The way you wrote this short story from the POV of the baby is amazing. I have a story in my next book along the lines of the same theme, although it’s more in the genre of comedy. I’m just about to kick off the editing this week. Your story reminded me very much of what my editor told me when she read one of my stories in my first book, although the POV in that story was from a nine-year-old girl.
        Hopefully, I’ll pick up that hug when we meet again. 😀

11. September 23, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Deb, this is absolutely beautiful. If there was a LOVE button on my laptop I would press it, repeatedly. Creative, profound, touching and wistful. Simply perfect. xx

• September 23, 2018 at 9:28 pm

Oh thank you Miriam!! I love it too and had a great time writing it. It just poured out of me, aren’t they the best posts?? I’m thrilled you love it 💕

• September 23, 2018 at 9:39 pm

They sure are the best posts. Creative writing as it should be, straight from the heart. ❤️

12. Losing the Plot
    September 27, 2018 at 12:47 am

Fabulous- well done! I’m still working on mine, really late 😬

13. September 28, 2018 at 4:19 pm

No, that strange woman will never settle down! She’ll just want cuddles and smoodges and tickles and silliness for the rest of your life – and you’ll love her as much as she loves you xx

14. September 28, 2018 at 6:07 pm

How lovely Deb.

15. September 29, 2018 at 9:33 pm

That was lovely and hope you are putting it aside for someone special!

16. Liana Bull
    September 30, 2018 at 9:09 pm

This is such a brilliant story for the prompt. Grandparenting is so wonderful. Prompting me to actually get to putting my own grandparent experiences into words when I get home from our current travels….? What a cool way to record your thoughts and feelings – not strange at all.

• September 30, 2018 at 9:18 pm

Thanks so much for your lovely comment. I really had fun with this one and it’s one of my favourite posts now 🙂 I would recommend writing your thoughts down if you can, it’s so easy to forget some things as time gets away!

17. December 10, 2018 at 4:53 am

What a fun take on the prompt! It reminded me of when my 11-year-old was a little baby. It doesn’t seem so long ago.

#mlstl

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )