People watching….in a non creepy way!

People watching – a short story

A vignette or two

Sitting in the gazebo.

Quietly sipping tea.

Watching people and being watched in return.

Who are these people and what’s their story?

Take that guy over there. The thickset swarthy looking one.

He looks kind of familiar.

Smiling, engaging, confident – he seems very comfortable in his surroundings, like he’s some big shot TV presenter visiting this one horse town and hasn’t been recognised by anyone yet. HE ‘S A POPULAR TV PRESENTER!!!!

Miguel, the Crazy Bull chef, with Laura at Nest Cinema Cafe in Tumbarumba

Miguel Maestre,  the Crazy Bull chef, with Laura at Nest Cinema Cafe in Tumbarumba

Unlike the couple over there who are trying to hold it together as their baby screams blue murder.  Little do we know they’ve just received bad news.

The large group of cyclists in the other gazebo are discussing the problems of the world.  They look like they are locals who do this regularly.  They meet every Saturday after going for a ride around town first.

The young mothers who meet up for a coffee and a chat seem to love the easy atmosphere and the welcome they receive from the understanding owner, Laura, who seems to be in a similar situation as them with young children of her own.

The young family out for breakfast are having a great time, the two little girls are dressed up as princesses and are thrilled to be having milkshakes and yummy pancakes, in such a grown up environment.  The little baby boy just wants his mother to breastfeed him!

This little cafe is a hub of such goings on every day, it’s an oasis of calm and a perfect example of country style done just right. Gifts, books, coffee, food, movies, music….it all happens here!

Nest Cinema Cafe Tumbarumba

Nest Cinema Cafe Tumbarumba

People Watching or StickyBeaking?

People watching is a fun activity and I love making up stories about the various people I see.  Do you do that too?

People watching can be described as the action or practice of spending time idly observing people in a public place.
In Australia we have a term for someone who likes to know what’s going on with others – this is called being a stickybeak! This is more often someone who is prying into someone else’s business, rather than just people watching.

Are you a Flaneur?

Another term to describe someone who observes society is the French word Flaneur.  Have you heard of this word before?  I hadn’t before a good friend mentioned it to me, I love it now!

Flâneur  means “stroller”, “lounger”, “saunterer”, or “loafer”. Flânerie is the act of strolling, with all of its accompanying associations. The flâneur was a literary type from 19th-century France, essential to any picture of the streets of Paris. The word carried a set of rich associations: the man of leisure, the idler, the urban explorer, the connoisseur of the street. The flâneur has become an important symbol for scholars, artists and writers.  Source.

It’s been fun to share some examples of people watching – in a non creepy way!
If you’re ever in Tumbarumba be sure to pop into Nest Cinema Cafe and tell them Debbie sent you!

************************

Thanks to Lorna at Gin and Lemonade for another great writing prompt.

This week is #4 and in Lorna’s words: Write about someone you see while people-watching. You could make it up, but it might be more fun if you didn’t.

The prompt for week #3 resulted in one of my all time favourite posts –  Far away from home as she knew it

Week #1 was the first writing and photo challenge, A sepia toned fall memory and I wrote a short creative piece –  A New World Order as Autumn takes over

Please let me know what you think of my response to this prompt.  I always enjoy hearing from you and appreciate you joining the conversation.

Deb xx

Are you on Instagram? Check out Deb’s World here: Instagram for photo updates

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestG+Facebook,  Flipboard and Mix

You can contact me here

One thought on “People watching….in a non creepy way!

1. October 4, 2018 at 9:47 am

I want to go! Really, when I visit you. Also thank you for the new words! x

• October 4, 2018 at 9:53 am

So glad I finally finished it. You are very welcome to visit anytime and yes we will definitely go there when you come!!!

2. October 4, 2018 at 10:57 am

Sticky beaking I haven’t that for a long time and I also learnt a new word so thank you, Debby sounds like my kind of pit stop 🙂 x

• October 4, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Yes it’s one of those old terms that you don’t hear too much anymore. Flaneur is my new favourite word. Nest Cafe is a great little place and we’re happy to share it around!

3. October 4, 2018 at 12:09 pm

I’m not much of a people watcher – I tend to be totally engaged in chatting up a storm with whoever I’m out with – and if (perish the thought) I’m by myself, then I’m immersed in a book and wouldn’t notice a TV presenter walking by unless he landed in my lap 🙂

• October 4, 2018 at 8:07 pm

Yes I’m usually too busy chatting too Leanne but sometimes I like to stop and look around me. This was a fun response to the writing prompt 😊

4. October 4, 2018 at 1:36 pm

What a fun post Deb! I’m usually too engrossed to be a sticky beak. But I love the word flaneur. It sounds so much more sophisticated than sticky beak. Maybe I could take it up after all. 😊

• October 4, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Yes I like the word flaneur over stickybeak too Miriam 😊 it’s a great word isn’t it?? I enjoyed writing this one too. X

5. October 4, 2018 at 3:35 pm

I love the word flaneur, and like you only became aware of it quite recently. In my case I was listening to a podcast in the BBC Radio 4 series Thinking Allowed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0787dmb

• October 4, 2018 at 8:01 pm

I’m happy to know you weren’t aware of it before listening to your podcast Su – it’s a brilliant word. Thanks for the link, I’ll have a listen.

6. October 4, 2018 at 4:44 pm

flaneur… perfect. I intending flaneuring this morning….

• October 4, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Haha!! It is just perfect isn’t it? I’m happy to hear that Geoff 😊Flaneur away to your heart’s content!!

7. October 4, 2018 at 5:11 pm

We love a bit of people-watching and often make up complete back-stories for the people that we’re watching. Great fun. Think I may be a bit of a flaneur though, great word.

• October 4, 2018 at 7:58 pm

I know!! I loved the word when I heard it and wondered if anyone take knew of it. It seems not!! Happy to hear you enjoy people watching too 😊

8. October 4, 2018 at 8:25 pm

I love to people watch and especially love to really look at them and take a peek into what may or may not being going on in their world.

• October 4, 2018 at 9:09 pm

It’s such a fun past time isn’t it? Lovely to have you join in! Thanks 🙂

9. October 4, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Sticky Beaking!! I love that term. We just called it Dippin, when I lived in North Carolina. Sticky Beaking is a much more fun description!

• October 5, 2018 at 9:20 pm

I’ve never heard of Dippin!! Aussie slang has some real beauties. Sticky beak is a great term and very descriptive 😂

10. October 5, 2018 at 9:55 am

Hi, Debbie – I enjoy people-watching….but I never consider myself being people-watched. Great post!

• October 5, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Donna, it’s sometimes a case of the watcher being watched. But that can be a creepy thought 😬

11. October 5, 2018 at 10:57 am

I LOVE people watching. There is so much intrigue, so much on display but so much more that we don’t know and probably never will.

• October 5, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Exactly. It’s good to use your imagination isn’t it and just wonder what is going on. I love the intrigue too 😊

12. October 5, 2018 at 4:54 pm

I am with you Deb, I love to people watch. Nothing stranger than folk 🙂

• October 5, 2018 at 9:14 pm

So true Suz!! Sometimes they amaze me but it creates fuel for the writing fire so I’m happy.

13. October 5, 2018 at 7:31 pm

This is great Debbie! I believe I’m a Flaneur 😂 I do like to people watch while sitting in a cafe or such like. I also like to imagine what’s going on in their lives, sometimes making up stories. Good response to the prompt! I must take part sometime 😊

• October 5, 2018 at 9:13 pm

People watching is such fun isn’t it Sam?? I’ve got a tribe of Flaneur now!! Thanks Sam, it’s a fun way for me to be more creative on my writing so I enjoy the prompts. 😊 enjoy the weekend!!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )