62000 Handcrafted Red Poppies

62000 poppies for the lives of those 62000 Australians lost in World War 1

The Australian War Memorial has a very special commemoration happening at the moment.

62000 poppies made with love

To mark the 100th anniversary, 1918 to 2018, of the end of the First World War, a spectacular sea of handcrafted red poppies has sprouted.  This is part of the Honour Their Spirit commemorations which will run from 5 October to Remembrance Day on 11 November 2018.

And I can assure you, the 62000 poppies were an amazing sight to see, not to mention moving!

The display represents the lives of 62000 Australians lost in the First World War.  It is a beautiful heartfelt tribute.

The story behind the Poppies

What I liked most was the story behind the handmade red poppies.  The 5000 Poppies project was started by two women, Lynne Berry and Margaret Knight, in 2013.  It began as a small personal tribute to honour their fathers, with a plan to crochet 120 red poppies for Remembrance day in 2013. It grew into something spectacular with over 300000 poppies handcrafted by volunteers in the community throughout Australia, New Zealand and beyond. I’m proud to say that my mother was one of those who made some of the red poppies. Patterns were made available and collection points setup – it is an amazing project which resonated with thousands of people.  The poppies were all made with love and thanks.

If you’re interested in any of the patterns here’s the link from the 5000 Poppies blog – Patterns

More than 300,000 stunning handcrafted poppies have been contributed from all over the world. Contributors include children as young as two, right through to people aged 102, and from many different backgrounds and cultures.

The poppies are all unique, in various shades of red, pink, orange – some with clever embellishments, others quite plain but they all mean something special.  It was heartening to see lots of family groups walking around the display, discussing the meaning behind the poppies.  The artistic way they were ‘planted’ was very clever and the musical arrangement playing lent a certain gravitas to the display too. All in all, it was a very professional installation but perfectly in keeping with the subject matter.

Honour Their Spirit

The poppies have been displayed all over the world and the Honour Their Spirit display was launched in Canberra on 5 October 2018. As a post on their blog says:

Some of our beautiful blooms are slightly worn by the patina of their travels through the RHS Chelsea Flower Show and Fromelles, France for the Centenary of the Battle of Fromelles in 2016.  They will fade, as poppies in the field do.  But that will be part of the story too.

The installation is open in the grounds of the War Memorial in Canberra from 9 am and it’s a free event. Night time lighting allows visitors to access the display through to 10 pm each day.  It’s well worth a visit!

Funds raised by the sales of some of the spare poppies will be donated to legacy Australia – a very worthwhile organisation.  We bought a few poppy brooches and will wear them with pride.  I also bought my baby granddaughter Emilia, a pack of poppy seeds so she can grow her own poppies in the garden.

Question: What do you think is the biggest security risk to the poppies?

Answer: Kangaroos! Only in Australia 🙂

We spoke with a helpful staff member at the display and got talking about security.  The grounds are quite open and although they are patrolled throughout the night by professionals, the biggest security risk, funnily enough, are the nearby kangaroos. Up until the time the display was setup, the kangaroos had free rein eating the grass where the poppies have been ‘planted’.  Now they come in for a snack and don’t know what’s going on, all these red poppies are everywhere!

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That make our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead.  Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch, be yours to hold it high

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

By Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae

I took lots of photos and this one was a bit of a surprise package, I’m not that sure what happened but I kind of like it.  What do you think?

62000 poppies at Australian War Memorial Canberra

62000 poppies at Australian War Memorial Canberra

I am so pleased to have seen this wonderful display and to have learnt more from reading about it.  I am in awe of the efforts of everyone involved. I also enjoyed reading my blogging friend Chris’s post on her visit to the poppies –  A field of red poppies at the Australian War Memorial Canberra: a sea of love and thanks

Have you seen this display? What are you thoughts?

Feel free to leave a comment below. I always love hearing from you.

Deb xx

Are you on Instagram? Check out Deb’s World here: Instagram for photo updates

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestG+Facebook,  Flipboard and Mix

You can contact me here

Deb’s World blog, midlife, travel and adventure

One thought on “62000 Handcrafted Red Poppies

1. October 12, 2018 at 1:28 am

I would have never guessed Kangaroos! Great post!

• October 12, 2018 at 8:50 am

Thanks Donna, I must say the kangaroo aspect was very unexpected!!

2. October 12, 2018 at 3:09 am

No doubt this is an impressive and moving display. Something similar was done at the Tower of London in 2014, nearly 900k ceramic poppies commemorating every British and colonial soldier who lost their life in WW1. It was a remarkable sight. We should never forget those who gave their lives for the freedoms we have today.

Liked by 2 people

• October 12, 2018 at 8:48 am

Thanks Clive, I remember the ceramic poppies and was actually in London at the time. You’re right we should never forgot those who gave their lives.

3. October 12, 2018 at 3:48 am

Very poignant and what a wonderful way to pull together people from all walks of life. I love the creativity. Good on your Mum!

Liked by 2 people

• October 12, 2018 at 8:46 am

Thanks Suz, it was an amazing sight and knowing so many people were involved was spine tingling stuff!! I love the whole story and the creativity too.

4. October 12, 2018 at 6:09 am

These are wonderful x

5. October 12, 2018 at 7:05 am

Beautiful, and a wonderful example of how amazing “people power” can be.

• October 12, 2018 at 8:44 am

Isn’t it a great story Su? I was so impressed with seeing the poppies and learning more about the story behind it all.

6. October 12, 2018 at 11:10 am

How lovely that your Mum was involved and made some poppies! I didn’t realise you could buy some of the leftover ones – I might have to go back (again!). Those funny roos – poor things must be so confused. Thanks for the link.

• October 13, 2018 at 11:17 pm

Thanks Chris. There were some in the shop for sale as brooches. I think the Roos are very put out by it all.

7. October 12, 2018 at 11:17 am

What an incredibly poignant display. I have always loved that poem. It’s most often the young that pay for old men’s follies.

• October 13, 2018 at 11:15 pm

Yes it is Janis! The poem is very special and we were very moved by the whole display.

8. October 12, 2018 at 2:24 pm

What a beautiful and thoughtful display. Love the colours as well. Thanks for commemorating this through your words 🙂

9. October 12, 2018 at 5:56 pm

All crocheted wow!! Beautiful absolutely beautiful. I imagine it’s a lovely and emotional sight. In Flanders Field always gets to me. Kangaroos haha!

10. October 12, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Isn’t that wonderful. I was lucky enough to see the similar at memorial at The a Tower in 2014. So very moving

• October 13, 2018 at 11:13 pm

Yes it was very moving to see. So much love has been put into each and every one of them. Thanks for stopping by.

11. josypheen
    October 13, 2018 at 1:56 am

What a lovely idea!

There was a similar display outside the tower of London a few years ago, but they were ceramic, rather than crochet. This one is a real labor of love. ❤

• October 13, 2018 at 11:11 pm

I agree Josy, a real labour of love!! It was incredible to see them all up close. I remember seeing the ceramic poppies on display on the news, just awesome.

12. October 15, 2018 at 4:58 am

My Mum here in the UK, made some of those poppies! She will love reading this

13. Denyse Whelan
    October 17, 2018 at 5:30 pm

I feel very strongly that we all need to remember the fallen and the Poppies are such a great reminder. The local community on the Central Coast had a Poppy Project in 2015 and 2016 and I added a crepe poppy to the groups in memory of my paternal grandfather who fought in WW1 and did return. This would have been amazing to see. Thank you for sharing. Denyse #mlstl

• October 17, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Thanks Denyse, I agree wholeheartedly with you! It’s an amazing project that started with just two women with an idea. I love the way we all get behind the poppies in so many ways. I appreciate your comment 🙂

14. October 17, 2018 at 9:09 pm

The poppies are beautiful Deb. We are hoping to get to Canberra early next year. The poppies will be gone but I love visiting the War Memorial

• October 17, 2018 at 9:10 pm

#MLSTL Shared on SM

• October 20, 2018 at 8:34 am

It always a great way to while away some hours Jennifer, I always find it so interesting when I visit. Thanks for sharing!

15. October 17, 2018 at 11:59 pm

I imagine it would be quite an inspiring sight Deb – I don’t think photographs capture the scale and the sense of history that seeing it in “the flesh” would give. Still the photos are lovely and the kangaroo story made me smile.
    MLSTL and I’ve shared on my SM 🙂

• October 20, 2018 at 8:33 am

Many thanks Leanne, I appreciate your generous comment and sharing.

16. Amy
    October 18, 2018 at 12:39 am

Oh, that’s so funny about the kangaroos! I bet they were perplexed when they realized they couldn’t eat the poppies.

• October 20, 2018 at 8:33 am

It was too good a story not to include in my post Amy! Yes they weren’t too impressed that they couldn’t eat them at all 😊

17. October 19, 2018 at 7:07 am

I enjoyed reading the history of these handmade poppies. Found the kangaroo angle to be funny and your picture is quite interesting. I like the way all the color is washed out except the red of the poppies.

• October 20, 2018 at 8:25 am

Thanks so much Jennifer, it was an interesting display and quite moving too. I just had to include the kangaroos 😂. I enjoy experimenting with photos and it shows I’m not afraid to share some of my more obscure ones I suppose!

18. Dee | Grammy's Grid
    October 19, 2018 at 11:25 pm

WOW! What an awesome display!!

• October 20, 2018 at 8:21 am

Yes Dee, it was amazing to see them all. Thanks for popping by 😊

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )