Taking stock of life in October – let’s chat!

Taking Stock – October 2018

Are you comfy and ready for a chat?

Morning!

As I sit here in my favourite café in Tumbarumba, enjoying the early morning bustle, I am taking a moment to evaluate my October. I’m surrounded by pretty flowers, including bunches of Waratahs; I have my cup of tea served in a pretty china cup and saucer, complete with tea strainer; and a passing parade of people, some I know but some I don’t.  I say hello to everyone, regardless!

It must be such an unusual sight to see me out and about so early in the morning (well it is 8.30am and I’m not only out, I’m dressed up and ready for the day ahead), that I’ve had several locals ask me what I’m up to!

As a retired lady of leisure, I no longer have a need to be out of the house too early unless I’m going out for a walk in the forest on my own.  But today, after my husband finishes his early morning meeting, we’re off to the big smoke of Wagga Wagga for a few appointments.

So how was October?

I have to say, it has been a lovely month for me.  It’s Spring, everything is renewing and reaching towards the sunshine, including me, and I’m feeling good.

I’ve been away from home a lot this month, mainly helping my daughter with her new baby girl Emilia.  As her husband had to return to work (reluctantly) and she was incapacitated after her emergency caesarian, she needed my help. I was the driver, the heavy lifter and the all round helper – a role I was more than happy to play!  I got to watch Emilia grow each day, start to smile and take in the world around her.  It was a very special time for me!

This photo shows me with Emilia, in her little WonderWoman in Training outfit – in case you didn’t know I sometimes get called WonderWoman Debz, so when I saw this outfit I just had to buy it for her! This is my new favourite *photo 🙂

Granny Debs and Emilia

Granny Debs and Emilia

Blogging Update….

I read a lot of blogs each week and I try to comment and share as much as I can, so I truly appreciate any interaction on my blog.  Thanks to all those who leave me comments, ‘like’ my posts or share them around! We have a great community of bloggers 🙂

Writing and Photography Challenges:

I’ve continued on with Lorna’s #Ginspired Writing prompts and you know what, I’ve really had fun with it.  These are my recent responses. Click the links to be taken to each post.

Crossed Wires, People watching, Puzzling through life, Blogging isn’t for the fainthearted (this last one has had a huge amount of comments from bloggers, it seems I hit a nerve with many agreeing about the pressures we put ourselves under with our blogging).

Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

Cyril Connelly

I’ve started participating in Terri’s Sunday Stills Photo Challenge, where she has a set theme for each week’s posts.  Terri missed the now defunct WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge so much, she started her own challenge.  It’s good fun to be involved! Anyone can join in.

Here are my posts for the October’s prompts: Orange, Photo Editor, Texture, Pink

My favourite post this month:

One of my favourite posts during the month was the one about Life being too short to wear beige, where I talked about my love of colour and my dislike for beige clothing! I don’t often do fashion posts so this was obviously something I felt strongly about. It was also fun to write.

From other bloggers:

I’m happy to share these three posts from other bloggers who I’ve enjoyed reading recently.  They cover a variety of subjects. I’m sure they’d appreciate your visit, just click on the links.

1. Shannon’s Must Hike Must EatYou never forget your first time series
  2. Sharon’s Musing from the Cold – in this post she joins the Sunday Stills photo challenge with her amazing Orange shots
  3. Leanne’s Cresting the Hill – I love all of Leanne’s post but this one struck a chord this month Right now she’s just living her best life

Loving…

Grandmother-hood

Being a grandmother is the best feeling, I love Emilia to bits 🙂 and I’m in awe of the job my daughter and her husband are doing.  It’s such a change to their lives and they’ve adapted exceptionally well! It takes me back to my early days as a new mother and the feelings of exhaustion, of being overwhelmed with the responsibility and all the unknowns being thrown at me.  It’s much better from the viewpoint of a grandmother I can tell you!

My new MacBook Pro

I keep asking my husband – have I told you how much I love my new computer?  He now just rolls his eyes at me when he hears me ask.

You see I bit the bullet and bought a new computer, predominantly for my blogging activities but it’s quickly become my new best friend.  I had been having trouble with my old laptop, it was slow, kept doing stupid things and wouldn’t work when I really wanted/needed it to.

I have an iPhone, iPad and an Apple watch, so I went with a MacBook Pro.  I researched, I asked my family who have Macs, chatted online to an Apple person about my needs and made a decision.

I’ve just realised this is the first computer I’ve bought that’s just mine, and not a hand-me-down from my husband.  I ordered it online and living in a small rural and relatively isolated town, I was totally surprised to have it arrive the next day. It was easy to setup and just works beautifully!

It’s made my life a whole lot easier!

Feeling….

As I was away for most of our winter months, I’m finding the onset of Spring (again) a bit discombobulating if I’m honest. It’s lovely but I can’t get my head around the fact that it’s almost Christmas and summer, as it seems just yesterday I was experiencing similar weather in Europe!  I know it sounds weird but hopefully someone understands what I’m getting at. The whole year has been one of discombobulation it seems! (I really like that word, don’t you?)

Apart from that odd sort of feeling, I’m going well with my health plan, eating well, walking, running a little and taking control. I noticed my improvement in my last month’s update and I’ve gone from strength to strength this month. My sugar consumption is reduced, my water intake increased and my healthy meals are starting to pay off.

I’m also feeling lucky to be able to enjoy have regular massages and facials in our little town.

Out and About….

I’ve been lucky to visit Canberra, Melbourne, Wagga Wagga and around my local  area this month.  With Spring in the air I’ve visited lots of open gardens and have been inspired!

My sister and I had a fun weekend catchup in Melbourne, where we went shopping, bought baby clothes, had manicures/pedicures and just enjoyed spending time together. It was just what I needed!

Forest Glade at Mt Macedon, just out of Melbourne, was a beautiful private garden open to the public.  We enjoyed a beautiful day walking around rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, bluebells and many other cool climate varieties. I shared some of the photos from the gardens in my Texture post for Sunday Stills a few weeks ago.  We also enjoyed a late afternoon visit to Red Bluff lookout at Black Rock, just outside of the city, what fantastic views!

I attended the annual Debutante Ball in town as Anna, our Rotary Exchange Student from Hungary, made her Debut.  This is an anachronism which I have never really been a huge fan of, but it was a fun evening which Anna thoroughly enjoyed. She was well supported with the donation of a dress and had fun learning to dance.  It’s not something they do in Hungary apparently! Yes Debutantes still wear long white gloves.

Anna making her Debut

Anna making her Debut

Tumbarumba Tastebuds was a weekend of Open Gardens, a Flower Show, wine tastings and good food in gorgeous spring weather. I enjoyed visiting some of the gardens and seeing all the work that goes into them, lots of new ideas!

Reading….

One of the best books I’ve read in ages was Any Ordinary Day by Leigh Sales.  I actually wrote a book review about it which you can read here: What happens after the worst day of your life  – Any Ordinary Day

Leigh ends the book with this – There’s only one lesson to take from all of this and that is to be grateful for the ordinary days and to savour every last moment of them.  They’re not so ordinary, really.  Hindsight makes them quite magical.

That’s a great quote to finish up on!

So, that was October in a nutshell.  I actually did more in the month than I thought!  I also managed to have morning teas and lunches with my friends, attend my discussion group, go to Rotary meetings and follow my daughter and her husband vicariously on their honeymoon around Europe and Fiji! It made my heart sing to see my youngest daughter visiting with her oldest sister in the UK and to speak with them both via Facetime – I love technology! Life doesn’t get much better.

Phew, after all that – bring on November 🙂 . I have my mother visiting in a day or two, so I’m madly running around cleaning windows and tidying up – maybe my husband is right, she should come to visit more often!

How are things with you? I’d love to hear what’s been happening in your life lately.

Feel free to leave me a comment below. I always enjoy hearing from you.

Nothing can dim the light that shines from within.

Maya  Angelou

Deb xx

*You might be wondering about the lack of photos of Emilia given I’m so proud of being a new grandmother – as a family we are limiting her digital footprint and only a small selection of photos are being released on social media.  We have our own private family sharing app and I can assure you we are taking lots of gorgeous shots of her.  I’m thrilled to be able to share this photo of us together.

**************************************************

This is my version of A Sentence a Day.  Click here for more information or to join in.

Are you on Instagram? Check out Deb’s World here: Instagram for photo updates

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestG+Facebook,  Flipboard and Mix

You can contact me here

Midlife, Travel and Adventure - that's my life

One thought on “Taking stock of life in October – let’s chat!

1. November 2, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Oh the joy I see and feel with you holding Emelia! ❤ I get the digital footprint thing. My son forbids me to post my granddaughters pictures on my blog. I get away with a few on Facebook to friends only, but get reprimanded when I post too many! lol! It's so hard not to share, but I must respect his wishes, and I do understand. Great to read your post and share in your Spring joy as we approach Autumn and Winter!

• November 2, 2018 at 12:10 pm

Thanks so much Jodi. I understand too about the photo situation and I have so many I want to share! This one is my favourite as I love the look she’s giving me and I am just about glowing incandescently with joy. It’s great to have friends all over the world we can share our lives with isn’t it? I love it! Great having you along with me 🙂

2. November 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Splendid!

3. November 2, 2018 at 3:13 pm

What a wonderful month Deb – loved Emelia’s little outfit (and the pic of you loving each other). Our grandgirls aren’t on SM much either – and I’m always careful to check before I post the occasional pic. Thanks for the link to my blog post – nothing like sharing the love. I also loved all your Spring flower pics and the fact that you seem to be really enjoying the retired/lady of leisure lifestyle – I can’t wait til it’s my turn one day (although I can’t really complain at my 2 days a week!)

• November 2, 2018 at 6:47 pm

I’m glad you are Ok with the link to your post Leanne! It’s been a big month and I really am enjoying my lady of leisure lifestyle (which I think is pretty obvious!!) . I would have been happy to go two days a week for a while but the freedom we have now without any work commitments is just fabulous. Your turn will come 🙂 and I know you’ll enjoy it all. I had fun writing my catch up post and sharing our spring flowers and news. Thanks again for being so supportive and encouraging, we do have a lot in common 🙂

• November 7, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Hi Deb – just wanted to say thanks for linking up with MLSTL and I’ve shared on my SM 🙂

4. November 2, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Such a beauty your grandchild Emelia…..a very busy month xx..loved reading it all xx

• November 2, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Thanks very much, it’s been busy and lots of fun! Emilia is just gorgeous, but I’m not biased at all 🙂

5. November 2, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Oh you have had a wonderful October Deb!
    Emelia is beautiful and had a great role model to look up to!

• November 2, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Thanks for your kind words Ritu, Emilia is just adorable! It’s been a busy time since coming home from our trip but I’m coping OK so far.

6. November 2, 2018 at 9:22 pm

What a lovely month you’ve had Debs, and your beautiful grand daughter…what can I say except a big awwwwwww!!! Gorgeous, the way she’s looking up at you 🙂 Beautiful photographs and I love the name Wagga Wagga!!

• November 2, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Sam, she is adorable isn’t she? It was a good month I’m happy to say. Wagga Wagga is about 110kms (over an hours drive away from us) and is our nearest big city. There’s nothing much along the way except forests and farmlands – it’s near Book Book 🙂 . No joke.

7. josypheen
    November 3, 2018 at 3:31 am

It sounds like you had a lovely month Debbie…also you win at life by having Spring in Europe AND spring back home! That is the way a lady of leisure should live! 😉

• November 3, 2018 at 10:07 pm

I know Josy, how lucky am I? Two springs and two summers and not a lot of cold miserable winter?? I’m living the dream. 😂

• josypheen
        November 4, 2018 at 6:42 am

My aunt once said her idea of a perfect life would be avoiding winter by moving from the UK to NZ when it starts to get cold. I think she (and you) have the right idea.

8. November 3, 2018 at 6:26 am

A wonderful month for you Deb and isn’t being a grandmother the best!!! I’ve heard good reviews on the book from Leigh Sales so will put that on my list. I always enjoy your photos and the first images of your morning tea surrounded by beautiful flowers was a lovely way for me to start my day. Have a fabulous November, my friend xx

• November 3, 2018 at 10:06 pm

So happy to read you comment Sue, I love sharing my photos and appreciate your encouragement. It’s been a lovely month and yes being a grandmother is the best!! Enjoy the month ahead x

9. November 3, 2018 at 6:57 am

Well that is quite the month Deb. Nothing more precious that being a Grandma and yes what fun to watch our daughters as mothers. Our daughter had a c-section as well and how lucky we felt to have the flexibility to be helpful. Your little one looks like she is adoring her Grandma. Well of course she does! Thanks so much for within that busy moth taking the time to contribute to our collaborative article. Wishing you a happy month ahead.

• November 3, 2018 at 10:05 pm

It was our pleasure to contribute to your post Sue, it turned out great 😊. I know you understand the preciousness of this new role and how lucky we are to be able to help out at this time in our lives. It’s very special. Thanks for your lovely comment, it’s been so good to meet you through our blogging connections. We have so much in common.

• November 4, 2018 at 2:25 pm

I’m smiling ear to ear as I type. I agree I think we have so much in common. A delight to connect virtually and I think one day our paths will cross, at least I certainly hope they do. Xo

10. November 3, 2018 at 10:57 am

What a full and rich October you’ve had, Debbie. I greatly enjoyed viewing your photos….especially of your new granddaughter in her ‘Wonder Woman In Training’ outfit! Adorable!!

• November 3, 2018 at 10:02 pm

Thanks so much Donna, I’m pleased to hear you’ve enjoyed my photos 😊 it’s been a wonderfully rich month. I am fortunate to have been able to spend so much time with my daughter and her little family and loved every minute of it. Isn’t she just adorable?

11. November 3, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Phew what a busy month you’ve had Deb. And you’ve still got time to blog! Lovely photos of you and Emelia, what fabulous memories to treasure forever.

• November 3, 2018 at 9:59 pm

Thanks so much Jono, I try to ensure I have my end of month post partly written but this month I was too busy and left it to the last minute! I’m glad I managed to remember what actually happened!! It’s a lovely time sharing and making memories with Emilia, I’m so lucky 😊

• November 4, 2018 at 1:51 am

You really are and it’s just going to get better and better as she gets older.

12. November 3, 2018 at 10:08 pm

Lots of lovely stuff within this post none more than your Grandmaship. Mine call me Grandma duck and like I would … I love the glances from those that hear my name. The giggles from them all when I tell them it may be time to drop the duck now you are getting older; only to get a cross armed stance and determined look fromthe eldest. “No never” he said then shouted “nice try.”
    Have you found scrivner yet? It is amazing, there is a free trial for 34 days and if you like it it is simple you keep the free one and enter a number they send wben you pay and it is done. But if you try you will want to buy it. I think it was $30 … anyway it is a one off payment and seriously you will love it. Unhappy i am to say it but they launched scrivner 3 … just for the mac book and i am dying for it to be on Windows as I will most definately get it. On a recent writing retreat i was shown it and fell in love with it. I am not earning anything from telling you I am just sharing because you have a mac book and sounded enthusiastic. Anyway there is lots on youtube if you want a look. Great post by the way.

13. November 4, 2018 at 1:10 am

Wow you had busy October! Lovely photos and lovely photo of you and Emilia she is beautiful!

14. November 4, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Glad to hear you had such a great month! We can’t wait to check out those other blog recommendations😊 here’s to a great November!

15. November 4, 2018 at 1:18 pm

I love catch up posts! I love the Melbourne pics. You fit a lot in, Deb. Thank you for the mention!

• November 7, 2018 at 10:40 am

Thanks Shannon, it’s a great lifestyle at the moment and I’m making the most of it while I can. My pleasure to include your post, thanks again.

16. Denyse Whelan
    November 7, 2018 at 9:13 am

What a wonderful month, Wonder Woman Debs…this is super reading and so full of life…your life. Loved it. I have a pic of me with my youngest granddaughter around the same age and it is so loving. I am glad you have embraced grandmothering and am enjoying the ride. I am an all things Apple Girl: IMac, IPad, Iphone, Mac laptop not a Macbook, BUT I can’t get the Apple watch ..too expensive (booo)
    Have a great November too. Denyse #mlstl

• November 7, 2018 at 11:06 am

Yes it’s been a fun month Denyse! My granddaughter is growing too fast and I miss being with her but I’m lucky she’s not too far away – well 3 hours in the car isn’t too bad!

When I was made redundant I bought the apple watch as a present to myself for going though so much heartache. We weren’t allowed to have them working in the gaol due tot heir internet connection, so it was a real treat to have it. They paid me a lot of money to get rid of me so I spent some of it wisely! I’m so glad you enjoyed reading about my month and my life, I sometimes wonder if I’m too open but hey, that’s me! Thanks for stopping by and sharing for #mlstl

17. November 7, 2018 at 10:18 am

Thanks, Deb, for sharing your wonderful October taking stock and beautiful photos. The photo of you and Emilia is perfect. Enjoy November! #MLSTL

• November 7, 2018 at 11:07 am

Thanks Natalie, it’s my all time favourite photo and I’m so glad I was given ‘permission’ to use it 🙂 . I had a good month full of love and fun times.

18. writeofthemiddle
    November 7, 2018 at 12:23 pm

What a wonderful month you’ve had Deb! Your little granddaughter is just delicious – so precious! I have a MacBook Pro too and love it. I use it when I’m away or out and about. Otherwise I use my iMac with the big screen. I can’t believe we’re racing towards Christmas either. It fills me with a wee bit of panic if I’m to be honest. Breathe Min! Happy November to you! xo

• November 7, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Thanks Min, I can so relate! Just keep breathing 🙂 always good advice!

19. November 7, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Sounding very busy! Love the garden shots. Isn’t being a grandma the best?? Shared.

• November 9, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Thanks Chris, it was a fun month and I can’t take any credit for the garden shots but I do love sitting out there soaking up the sunshine, admiring my husband’s efforts 🙂 Yes being a grandma is the best!

20. November 7, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Great to have an Oct catch up with you Deb. Sounds like it’s been a busy one for you. For me Oct has been mainly work, exercise and the garden. I’ve been to the Forest Glade garden at Macedon. It’s beautiful. Love the photo of you with Emilia #MLSTL Shared on SM

• November 9, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Thanks Jennifer, I enjoyed your recent post and your garden is looking great. A catch up is a fun to relive what I’ve done through the month. I used to do a sentence a day but this more general post is great fun. I love the pic with Emilia, so special!

21. November 7, 2018 at 10:13 pm

I really enjoyed reading about your month of October, Debs, it is a way to get to know someone a little bit. I absolutely agree that being a Grandma (Nana for me) is the best! Loved the photo with your little Wonder Woman, and I know your daughter appreciated the help! Beautiful photos, too. #MLSTL

• November 8, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Thanks so much Candi, I really appreciate your visit and comment. It’s been a lovely time getting to know Emilia, while helping out as well has been great fun. I’m so fortunate to be in the position where I could help out. I think us grandmas rule! Happy to hear you enjoyed my photos too, it’s a nice hobby to have 🙂

22. November 8, 2018 at 1:46 am

You have been busy, Deb, and it sounds delightful–especially the new granddaughter. Your photos are beautiful, as always. Thank you for sharing. During October, I celebrated my birthday with family and friends, closed up our cabin, and completed the Hell Week exercise challenge. Happy November! #MLSTL

• November 9, 2018 at 6:53 pm

You were busy in October too Christie, thanks for sharing your fun times and happy birthday again!

23. November 8, 2018 at 5:43 am

Did you say wine tasting? Funny how I focus on that. But I also love the picture of you and your future Wonder Woman! She is adorable.

• November 9, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Funny that about the wine tastings!! I love that photo with Emilia too, she is so adorable!

24. Is This Mutton?
    November 8, 2018 at 7:34 am

Lovely photo of you and Emilia. Sounds like you had such a productive and enjoyable month. Greetings from London, UK.

• November 9, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Greetings right back at you! I’m thrilled you enjoyed my post and yes Emilia is very photogenic 🙂 I love her to bits.

25. Molly Totoro
    November 10, 2018 at 11:27 pm

I love the adoring look she gives her granny!
    Thank you for introducing me to the Sunday Stills challenge. I hope to return to a regular photography practice soon – and this sounds like the perfect motivation.

• November 11, 2018 at 4:04 pm

Thanks so much for your comment Molly! I enjoy the creativity of a photo challenge and seeing how others interpret the prompt. Hope to see you there one day 🙂

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )