Home Alone – Spiders, Rain, Echidnas and a Bodyguard

Home alone….. or am I?

What do spiders, echidnas, rain, and bodyguards have in common?

They’ve been my companions for the last few days as I’ve been home alone.

The Mathematician is away visiting his mother. On his departure, he left strict instructions about watering the plants, but then it rained A LOT, so I didn’t need to do too much.

Instead I made a Tea Tree, using an old collection of tea pots and cups, hanging them on a tree in the garden!ย  It’s called creativity ๐Ÿ™‚

Tea Tree in my garden

Tea Tree

My mother visited me for a few days, which was great fun,ย  and has now moved onto her next destination, as she continues her World Ironing Tour. (Just an aside – did you know there are still people in the world who LOVE ironing?ย  Well my mother is one of them.ย  She has spent her recent travels around the world bringing joy to her hosts by doing their ironing for them ๐Ÿ™‚ She is continuing her Ironing Tour with shows in Melbourne and Tasmania coming up).

Spiders

While home alone, I decided to catch up on some of the recent Doctor Who series – cue the Arachnids in UK episode.ย  While watching this somewhat scary episode, where HUGE spiders and their webs take over, I started noticing all the cobwebs around my house.ย  When mum was coming I cleaned the windows but didn’t get around to the many cobwebs, and I regretted this immediately!

Being home alone reinforces one’s aloneness, especially when spiders are involved.ย  I didn’t sleep too well – just saying!

Echidna – show me the ants

A lovely long walk in the forest started well with a chat along the way with this little guy.ย  He was just out enjoying the offerings of the paddock and didn’t mind me snapping this pic of him. Usually they curl up into a tight ball when they sense danger nearby but obviously I wasn’t considered a threat.

Did you know a baby echidna is called a puggle?ย  They are a most interesting monotreme and one of my favourite Australian Native animals.

Echidna in the paddock

Echidna visit

The Bodyguard

Following recommendations from various sources, including my eldest daughter who lives in the UK, I have been watching the Netflix series The Bodyguard. It’s been quite a good companion while being home alone and I’m thinking I should employ a bodyguard to protect me from the influx of spiders!

Rain

As mentioned above we have had lots of good soaking rain lately, and boy did we need it!ย  Our house isn’t connected to town water, so we rely on collecting water from the roof into our water tanks. Coming into summer they were getting a bit low so as well as the garden needing water, our tanks are now full again. The farmers in our area are feeling relieved too so everyone is happy.ย  Hopefully the rain was widespread as much of NSW is already under drought conditions and getting desperate for rain.

I snapped these raindrops on my lovely roses before it got too heavy and ruined them.

It’s safe to say I haven’t been out much this week!ย  Instead I’ve enjoyed drinking cups of tea, sitting in my sunroom, staying in my pyjamas as long as I want to, going for long walks listening to podcasts, reading books, watching shows, reading blogs and having chats with my daughters.

The Mathematician will be a welcome returnee over the weekend, not only for his extra height for those worrying spiderwebs!

Yay, it’s Friday!ย  What are your plans for the weekend??

Deb xx

Are you on Instagram? Check out Debโ€™s World here:ย Instagram for photo updates

You can also findย Deb’s Worldย here – let’s stay in touch!

Twitter,ย Instagram,ย Pinterest,ย G+,ย Facebook,ย ย Flipboard and Mixย

You can contact me by clicking here

Midlife, Travel and Adventure - that's my life

ย

One thought on “Home Alone – Spiders, Rain, Echidnas and a Bodyguard

1. November 9, 2018 at 10:02 am

I love my time alone. This was lovely and entertaining to read!

• November 9, 2018 at 10:04 am

Thank you so much Claudette! It was fun to write too. I must admit I love some home alone time but not for too long ๐Ÿ˜Š enjoy your weekend.

• November 9, 2018 at 10:06 am

Exactly. Short, sweet, refreshing, recharge, then bring ’em home again. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I found you on IG.

2. November 9, 2018 at 10:43 am

Fun post and photos, Deb. My mom enjoys ironing as well. I absolutely LOVE it when she brings out her iron (I can assure you that this trait was NOT passed on to me). ๐Ÿ™‚

• November 9, 2018 at 10:50 am

I didnโ€™t get that love of ironing trait either Donna! But I like it when she visits ๐Ÿ˜Š thanks for reading and commenting, I had fun collecting my thoughts while being home alone for a few days.

3. November 9, 2018 at 2:14 pm

It was a fun to read blog Deb. Looks like your creativity was at its peak. I haven’t been home alone in a very very long time. I wonder what I would do.

• November 9, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Thank you for your comment. It’s been a fun few days and I’ve actually enjoyed being home alone! Yes I wonder what you would do!

4. November 9, 2018 at 4:40 pm

Deb, I love the cup tree, creativity is so much fun. Even in the rain, roses still look beautiful. Years ago, I saw on a stick a cup and saucer which was to be placed in the garden, that too looked great amongst the flowers and trees. Have a good weekend.

• November 9, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Thanks Suz, it was fun to create my Tea Tree! I hope things are going well with you ๐Ÿ™‚

5. November 9, 2018 at 10:23 pm

Sounds like your having a wonderful time. Love the tea cups. Enjoyed the Bodyguard, no to the spiders and I actually don’t mind ironing!!

• November 10, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Thanks for your responses, glad to have your thoughts!

6. November 9, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Loved reading this one Debbie…..rains bring spiders which call for Bodyguards…..Ha Ha….nice one indeed…..:) loved those pictures ….

• November 10, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Great way of looking at it Anindya – love your summary ๐Ÿ™‚ . Thanks so much!

7. November 9, 2018 at 10:32 pm

I love the raindrop pictures.

8. November 10, 2018 at 5:02 am

Well, you’ve had some interesting adventures this week, Deb! I just finished watching The Bodyguard and really enjoyed it – thought it was well done and not too much violence. Have a great weekend!

• November 10, 2018 at 8:46 pm

I just watched the final episode and it was very intense but I agree, really well done. Thanks for stopping by!

9. November 10, 2018 at 5:49 am

What a fun read, Deb, very creative! We just finished watching the Bodyguard. You might also enjoy The Game which is on Netflix. I wish I had a Mum, firstly to visit and secondly to do the ironing, although before I went away, I don’t think I was feeling too well as I ironed every item in my wardrobe!!! Love your creative tea tree. It is lovely to spend time alone but I’m sure you will be happy to see the Mathematician. Enjoy your weekend! xx

• November 10, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Thanks Sue, I’m glad you also enjoyed the Bodyguard and I’ll look at The Game. Thanks for the recommendation! I’m quite pleased with my Tea Tree and all is well now as we’re back together ๐Ÿ™‚ I am very lucky that mum is able to visit and I love having her stay – not just for the ironing. x

10. November 10, 2018 at 11:20 am

I enjoy some alone time periodically, but then I’m always glad to be back with hubby. I love your pics, especially the raindrops on roses.

• November 10, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Christie, I love the rose photos too! It’s been a fun easy laid back kind of few days – it’s nice every now and again as you say!

11. November 10, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Sometimes it’s really nice just being “Home Alone” (as I chant when I get the house to myself). To do your own thing (tea tree) in your own time with no other demands is really pleasant. Nice to know your windows are clean and your ironing’s up to date. I think you’re fairly safe from giant spiders unless there’s a toxic waste dump nearby ๐Ÿ™‚

• November 10, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Thanks Leanne, all is well with my world! Glad to hear you also enjoy time alone at home, it’s a novelty for me these days ๐Ÿ™‚

12. November 11, 2018 at 3:48 am

I love time alone too, lovely to read. Hope your returned has helped with your cobwebs.. mine just hang pretty.. ha ha.

• November 11, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Lovely to hear you also enjoy alone time too Marian. I’m afraid my cobwebs are a part of the furniture now ๐Ÿ™‚

• November 11, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Your spiders catch your flies.. they have an important job. That’s my excuse for cobwebs. I vacuum them down and they very quickly reappear.

13. Unbound Roots
    November 11, 2018 at 4:27 am

Oh wow! I have to say that I love your tea tree and your beautiful sun room. I could use one of those around here – cold, snow, and clouds currently surround me. Oh, and I can’t stand having spiders in the house, but I also hate killing them. I usually hire my husband or son to bring them outside, ha! I don’t know what I’d do if I were home along and I spotted a large, fast spider… Great post, Deb!

• November 11, 2018 at 4:00 pm

It’s a fabulous little sun room in the garden Erin, I love it! The tea tree was a bit of whimsical fun on my part, glad you like it too. Thanks for visiting, I always love hearing from you!

14. November 11, 2018 at 10:35 pm

Arr, the power of the ironing board. Many a short story idea has come to me while I’ve been stood at the iron-board, Debbie. I’m convinced it has some kind of magical power. I’m currently stuck with an ending for one of my short stories in my upcoming new book. It’s the only story stopping me from getting the book back to my editor for its final edit. Needless to say that I’m just about to embark on some doing some ironing.

• November 13, 2018 at 8:53 am

I do hope the ironing helped the ending of your story Hugh! I find when i’m out in the forest walking or running that I get all these good ideas and then can’t remember anything when I get back! Since mum has been here I’ve finished the rest of the ironing in the basket, she inspired me ๐Ÿ™‚

• November 13, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Yes, mission accomplished, Debbie. It also means I can rush back to the computer and write down an idea if one comes to me while ironing. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )