On the road again…otherwise known as taking the road less travelled

Sunday Stills – On the Road

Oh, the places you’ll go.

Quote by Dr Seuss

I like driving and I like being driven.

Just as well, as we live a long way from anywhere, and we do a lot of driving!

I listen to podcasts, music and even sometimes talk while driving, but mainly I think quietly to myself.  I don’t know what I think about but it keeps me quiet, and sometimes I even nap while thinking.  Obviously not while I’m driving 🙂

So when I saw the On the Road prompt for Terri’s Sunday Stills Photo Challenge this week, I thought I’d share some photos of great road trips over the years.

These include photos from road trips in Australia, Iceland, New Zealand and even some local forest roads.

I’ve just noticed that all my road photos show no other vehicles or people and, apart from the emu shot, no animals either.  I think this shows my penchant for taking the road less travelled!

Either that or I live in a small place with not a lot of people about.

Do you think it says something about my personality?

Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.

Quote by Lovelle Drachman

I remember being driven while touring around India and refusing to sit in the front of the vehicle as I couldn’t bear to be so close to all the madness and mayhem.  One day they ‘made’ me sit up the front and I nearly had an apoplexy, it was terrifying!  I didn’t get any photos for obvious reasons.

These are some interesting road signs I’ve collected along the way.

You can’t have a road without road signs!

Is it just me or does the wombat look bigger than the horse in that road sign?  The Croatia sign was an in joke amongst our cycling group – the spicier the ride the steeper it was!  I hope some of those names both in Australia and UK make you smile 🙂 . When my daughter comes home to visit from the UK, she loves to take a photo of the Tumbarumba sign at the highway turnoff, it means she’s almost home again!

Slow down for FOX Sake!

My all time favourite sign I spotted, but couldn’t get a photo of, was this one, while driving in Cornwall recently.  (Please note I did not take the photos below, it’s part of this article.)

It’s started a huge joke in my family and I still can’t say it without bursting into laughter.  For some unknown reason 🙂

As much as I enjoy a road trip, let it be known that after every Sunday Drive as a family, an ice cream is not only expected but highly anticipated!  No matter what age you are 🙂

Feel free to leave a comment below. Tell me your favourite photo from my selection or your favourite road trip. I always love hearing from you!

Deb x

On the road again, taking the road less travelled

*******************************

Are you on Instagram? Check out Deb’s World here: Instagram for photo updates

You can also find Deb’s World here – let’s stay in touch!

TwitterInstagramPinterestG+Facebook,  Flipboard and Mix

You can contact me by email by clicking here

Midlife, Travel and Adventure - that's my life

One thought on “On the road again…otherwise known as taking the road less travelled

1. November 11, 2018 at 6:11 pm

🌴🌴🌴

2. November 11, 2018 at 6:26 pm

The hilly photos remind me of Bridgetown in the SW of WA – beautiful spot (and where I met my husband!)

• November 11, 2018 at 10:03 pm

That’s lovely to hear Leanne – i’ve not been to WA yet but it’s definitely on the list. Great to have your thoughts. 🙂

3. November 12, 2018 at 4:04 am

I love a good road trip – fun to see yours!

4. November 12, 2018 at 7:26 am

Haha, yes I have seen a similar sign and I have just washed a t-towel with Fox’s Sake on it 🙂 The Squire loves to drive more than myself. We both love road trips too. WA is so beautiful hope you two get to visit the area. Have a good Monday now off to unpack another box.

• November 12, 2018 at 9:44 am

Have fun unpacking your boxes and settling in Suz. I wish I had bought a t-towel with that saying on it! We will get to WA at some stage, it’s just a matter of when. Have a good week 🙂

5. November 12, 2018 at 10:03 am

I love road trips too, Deb.
    I noticed that on some of your signs, I couldn’t confidently pronounce any of the place names. That tells me that I need to travel more…especially out your way!

• November 12, 2018 at 5:47 pm

You will have to come for a visit and I’ll teach you how to say all the names Donna! Thanks for your thoughts 🙂

6. November 12, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Australia certainly has some strange place names – though I love that one in Cornwell! I’m a bit fan of road trips too .. many in Oz are I guess.

• November 13, 2018 at 8:51 am

That’s for sure Albert! We have a big country to explore here. I really must get out there and see more of it 🙂

7. November 12, 2018 at 11:22 pm

I love all of these photos! Makes me ready for another trip!

• November 13, 2018 at 8:50 am

Yes, me too! I’m thinking of where to go next already 🙂

8. November 13, 2018 at 7:48 am

I love all the names of the towns and the pics are fabulous, Debby! On our longer road trips, my husband and I do a lot of talking, or listening to instrumental, relaxing music. When I drive alone, I listen to audio books! But if I’m a passenger, like you, my camera is at the ready!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )